Things We’re Grateful For: Federal Houses

At this time of year, we’re thinking about the many things we’re grateful for, as well as the founding of our country.

Both those bring us to the many Federal-era (1790-1835) houses in the Village, NoHo, and East Village, especially those we have been able to ensure will survive well into the future due to landmark and historic district designation.

a

200-202 Bleecker Street (Sixth Avenue/MacDougal Street); these 1826 houses are supposed to be landmarked in December as part of phase II of GVSHP’s proposed South Village Historic District.  They are now part of the Little Red Schoolhouse.

In our recently-issued report, GVSHP takes a look at the approximately one thousand buildings for which we have been able to help secure landmark designation over the last ten years.  Among them are a wonderful array of federal era houses, which fall within new historic districts in the South and East Village, NoHo, the West Village, and even the Meatpacking District.  We have also been able to help secure designation of nearly a dozen of these survivors of the earliest days of New York City’s urban development as individual landmarks.

Many are found within long, unbroken rows, while others survive in almost splendid isolation; some stand nearly unchanged from two centuries ago, while others reflect the profound changes they witnessed around them over the last two centuries.

What follows is just a sample:

a

127-131 MacDougal Street, between West 4th and West 3rd Streets

These three federal houses were built in 1829.  GVSHP and the NY Landmarks Conservancy proposed them for individual landmark designation, which they received in 2003 — the first in a long string of federal era houses we were able to get landmarked over the last ten years.

a

4. St. Mark’s Place

This 1832 house between 2nd and 3rd Avenues was the next of the federal era houses GVSHP and the successfully NYLC jointly proposed for landmark designation; it was designated in 2004.

a

2-10 Bedford Street, between Houston and Downing Streets.

These five unusual federal-era houses were built in 1828, and were landmarked as part of the first phase of GVSHP’s proposed South Village Historic District, or the Greenwich Village Historic District Extension II.  The curved facade of #2 reflects the unique South Village street grid, while the colorful pastel paint jobs likely reflect 1920’s renovations.

a

26 Bond Street (Lafayette Street/Bowery)

This 1831 house is one of several federals in the NoHo Historic District Extension, designated in 2008.

a

37 East 7th Street, between 2nd and 3rd Avenues

This 1832 federal in the East Village Historic District (designated 2012) is one of a surprisingly large number of late 18th and early 19th century houses which still survive in the western and easternmost parts of the East Village.

a

42-46 Carmine Street (Bleecker/Bedford Streets)

These three surviving 1827 federals are located in the South Village Extension of the Greenwich Village Historic District which GVSHP proposed and fought for, designated in 2010.  Jackson Pollack lived at #46 (r.).

a

94 Greenwich Street, in the Financial District

This house was built in 1799; located just south of the World Trade Center, it miraculously survived 9/11, Superstorm Sandy, and more than two centuries of intense change.  GVSHP and NYLC jointly proposed it for individual landmark designation in 2003, and it was landmarked in 2009.  GVSHP considers the protection of federal-era houses a special part of our mission, and thus we will propose and advocate for landmark designation of federal-era houses outside of our neighborhood in Lower Manhattan.

a

651-55 Washington Street (Christopher/west 10th Streets)

These three 1829 houses lie within the Far West Village Extension of the Greenwich Village Historic District GVSHP proposed and advocated for; it was designated in 2006.

306 Bowery

306 Bowery (Houston/Bleecker Streets)

This 1820 house is located within the NoHo East Historic District, which GVSHP strongly supported, designated in 2003.

a

262-66 Bleecker Street (Leroy/Morton Streets)

These three 1834 houses are incredibly modest and charming in scale and style.  They were landmarked in 2010 as part of phase I of GVSHP’s proposed South Village Historic District, or the South Village Extension of the Greenwich Village Historic District.

See more federal houses we have helped save over the last ten years in the ‘Federal Houses’ section of GVSHP’s report “Ten Years — A Thousand Buildings Landmarked — One Hundred Blocks Rezoned.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Andrew Berman

Andrew Berman has been the Executive Director of GVSHP since 2002.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
0 comments on “Things We’re Grateful For: Federal Houses
1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Things We’re Grateful For: Federal Houses"
  1. […] Federal row house was modest in scale and restrained in ornament.  The front of the Federal house was usually clad […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*