Browse By Neighborhood
- A First for Recognizing LGBT History in the South Village: Over the past several weeks, we've been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- No Need for a Mock UN at One East Village Elementary School: School may be out for the summer, but that doesn't mean we can’t take time...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 7, 2014 | No Comments…well, it almost happened that way. The Village and East Village have historically been home […]
Posted on February 23, 2014 | No CommentsOn February 24th, 1975, Led Zeppelin’s double studio album Physical Graffiti was unleashed upon the […]
Posted on February 18, 2014 | No CommentsGVSHP works to preserve the architectural and cultural heritage of Greenwich Village, the East Village, […]
Posted on February 4, 2014 | No CommentsOver the last several weeks GVSHP has been taking a look at the designation report […]
Posted on January 31, 2014 | No CommentsOver the past several weeks, we’ve been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village […]
Posted on December 23, 2013 | No CommentsWe at GVSHP want to wish everyone a happy holiday season and best wishes for […]
Posted on December 13, 2013 | No CommentsThirty eight years ago today, Patti Smith’s album ‘Horses’ was released. Simply put, music was […]
Posted on December 5, 2013 | 2 CommentsThey may not necessarily be a basis for landmark designation, but it’s always nice when […]
Posted on December 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsSome surprising good news today about the growth of chain stores in the Village, East […]
Posted on November 27, 2013 | No CommentsAt this time of year, we’re thinking about the many things we’re grateful for, as […]