Browse By Neighborhood
- A Sad Farewell to Joe’s Dairy: After 60 years, Joe’s Dairy, a small South Village institution specializing in fresh mozzarella (plain, salted, and smoked) will cl
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on February 28, 2013 | 1 CommentOn Monday evening, GVSHP and the New School for Public Engagement hosted a film screening,...
Posted on February 20, 2013 | No CommentsOn this day in 1950, the Welsh poet and writer Dylan Thomas arrived in New...
Posted on February 12, 2013 | No CommentsDid you know that since 1991, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation has offered...
Posted on February 12, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day in 1809, Abraham Lincoln was born in Hodgenville, Kentucky. Serving as the...
Posted on February 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsTomorrow evening GVSHP will be holding a special event at one of the East Village’s...
Posted on January 31, 2013 | 3 CommentsTomorrow, February 1, Grand Central Terminal will celebrate its Centennial. A year-long celebration of events...
Posted on January 21, 2013 | 2 CommentsOn Friday, EV Grieve broke the news that 9th Street Bakery would be closing after...
Posted on January 16, 2013 | No CommentsOn this day, January 16, in 1919, Prohibition took effect, prohibiting the “manufacture, sale, or...
Posted on January 8, 2013 | No CommentsYesterday, legendary architecture critic Ada Louise Huxtable died at the age of 91 at Memorial...
Posted on January 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsOver the summer we told you about the 1959 Greenwich Village Guide book published under...