Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Irish Churches of the Village: The following was originally written by Sheryl Woodruff and posted two years ago. It has been ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 12, 2015 | 1 CommentOnce upon a time in Chelsea, New York, a young woman lived in an apartment […]
Posted on October 26, 2015 | No CommentsAt this time last year, the Metropolitan Opera was aflame in controversy about an opera […]
Posted on October 21, 2015 | No Comments“You don’t have to be Jewish to love Levy’s real Jewish rye,” was the slogan […]
Posted on October 16, 2015 | 1 CommentYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on October 9, 2015 | No CommentsThis year the city is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Landmarks Law that created […]
Posted on October 2, 2015 | 2 CommentsWhat is it about James Baldwin? This writer, long recognized as an important voice in […]
Posted on September 16, 2015 | No CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on September 10, 2015 | 3 CommentsToday is the second installment of a new occasional series, “The Village Seen,” to display […]
Posted on August 25, 2015 | No CommentsThere’s an appealing 1951 painting by Stuart Davis owned by the Whitney Museum of American […]
Posted on August 19, 2015 | No CommentsToday we launch a new occasional series, “The Village Seen,” to display the work of […]