Browse By Neighborhood
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204 Today!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most...
- ‘Kate Spade House’ Wasn’t Always “Charming & Chic”: Over the past couple weeks, blogs have been buzzing with news and photos of 215...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 27, 2015 | No CommentsThe Mayor’s proposed citywide rezoning proposal, ‘Zoning for Quality and Affordability’ will weaken neighborhood zoning […]
Posted on March 20, 2015 | 2 CommentsHappy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most […]
Posted on March 19, 2015 | 1 CommentIt’s easy to see, from the many blogs devoted to the subject, that New Yorkers […]
Posted on March 18, 2015 | No CommentsBuilt in 1886, today marks Webster Hall’s seventh anniversary as a NYC landmark. According to […]
Posted on March 17, 2015 | No CommentsThe history of Greenwich Village is a history of immigration. Although the St. Patrick’s Day […]
Posted on March 16, 2015 | No CommentsAfter a long, cold, and snowy January and February, Mother Nature decided we weren’t quite […]
Posted on March 13, 2015 | No CommentsMarch 14th is a date when several people with important connections to the Village will […]
Posted on March 12, 2015 | No CommentsGVSHP is marking March, Women’s History Month, with some great public programs. But today I […]
Posted on March 9, 2015 | No CommentsFirst off, this is our 1,100th blog post! Be sure to click on the blue […]
Posted on March 4, 2015 | No CommentsThis week was the 98th Anniversary of the Jones-Shefroth Act, which took effect on March […]