Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 20, 2014 | No CommentsToday on “A Tale of Two” I actually have three tenements to share and compare. […]
Posted on October 16, 2014 | No CommentsHave you ever walked by an unattractive building and thought – or maybe heard […]
Posted on October 15, 2014 | No CommentsBy the turn of the twentieth century it is estimated that almost 75,000 horses and […]
Posted on October 10, 2014 | No CommentsMany Gotham dwellers just about have their spirit broken from all the eclectic, only-in-New-York kinds […]
Posted on October 8, 2014 | No CommentsWorking in historic preservation, you know that you win some and you lose some. The […]
Posted on October 6, 2014 | No CommentsThis Wednesday, we here at Off the Grid are looking forward to celebrating the 15th […]
Posted on October 3, 2014 | No CommentsKids today still know what a pencil is and how to sharpen it, right? In […]
Posted on October 1, 2014 | No CommentsLast weekend, GVSHP, GrowNYC, and the East Village Parks Conservancy teamed up to create an […]
Posted on September 29, 2014 | No CommentsWhen you’ve been involved in a struggle since last century – 16 long years – […]