Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 17, 2014 | No CommentsBack in high school, I don’t remember History being everyone’s (or was that anyone’s?) favorite […]
Posted on April 16, 2014 | No CommentsIt seems that you can’t look at the news these days without seeing something about […]
Posted on April 11, 2014 | No CommentsThe 20th century had hardly begun when the New York State legislature signed into law […]
Posted on April 9, 2014 | 1 CommentI recently spent my vacation visiting the European cities of Barcelona, Rome, and Trieste. During […]
Posted on April 1, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the […]
Posted on March 31, 2014 | 2 CommentsIt’s finally warm enough to re-start a new feature, Places We Love, focusing on architectural, […]
Posted on March 27, 2014 | 1 CommentForty years ago this weekend, the Ramones played their very first public performance. The Ramones […]
Posted on March 21, 2014 | No CommentsForty-six years ago on Saturday, the legendary rock band The Doors performed at the East Village’s […]
Posted on March 20, 2014 | No CommentsThis is part of the Looking Up series of posts, which explore the unique architectural […]
Posted on March 19, 2014 | 1 CommentFor today’s post in our Then & Now series, we thought we’d feature a few […]