Browse By Neighborhood
- Community Cornerstones: Penny Jones & Co. Puppets: We here at Off the Grid have often explored the history of the artists' residence...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 33 MacDougal Alley, the Lost Studio of Isamu Noguchi: MacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 5, 2013 | 2 CommentsThey may not necessarily be a basis for landmark designation, but it’s always nice when […]
Posted on December 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsSome surprising good news today about the growth of chain stores in the Village, East […]
Posted on December 3, 2013 | No CommentsToday we thought we’d feature a few designs by the late 19th century architecture firm […]
Posted on November 27, 2013 | No CommentsAt this time of year, we’re thinking about the many things we’re grateful for, as […]
Posted on November 26, 2013 | No CommentsThere’s a residential building under construction on Third Avenue in the East Village that […]
Posted on November 21, 2013 | No CommentsHere in Greenwich Village, we are surrounded by history. So sometimes when I walk the […]
Posted on November 19, 2013 | No CommentsThis week, research requests to the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation converged and pointed […]
Posted on November 18, 2013 | 1 CommentCitizen Kane Psycho North by Northwest Taxi Driver Recognize these movies? Can you guess what […]
Posted on November 11, 2013 | 1 CommentToday we introduce a new feature, Places We Love, focusing on architectural and cultural favorites […]
Posted on October 25, 2013 | No CommentsOn October 26, 1825, New York Governor DeWitt Clinton began a voyage on the Erie […]