Browse By Neighborhood
- What’s That Orange Netting On My Neighbor’s Rooftop?: Every so often we get a call or an email here at GVSHP asking about...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Map It! Finding the Lost Stuyvesant Alley: Recently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists....
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 28, 2014 | No CommentsNext Tuesday, GVSHP will present a panel discussion entitled, “Historic Preservation, Meet Restaurant Preservation.” GVSHP’s […]
Posted on July 25, 2014 | No CommentsThe “Gilded Age” in New York City – roughly 1870 through 1900 – gets something […]
Posted on July 24, 2014 | No CommentsSeven years ago today, on July 24th, 2007, two very lucky federal rowhouse survivors on […]
Posted on July 18, 2014 | No CommentsLocated at 113 East Fourth Street on a through-block lot bound to the north by […]
Posted on July 17, 2014 | No CommentsHere’s an unassuming building with some interesting connections to one of our country’s premiere […]
Posted on July 10, 2014 | No CommentsWelcome back to another post in our Throwback Thursday series where we feature everyday scenes […]
Posted on July 9, 2014 | 1 CommentAt the southeast corner of Bowery and East 3rd Street, within the recently designated Bowery […]
Posted on July 3, 2014 | No CommentsAny connoisseur of the East Village worth her salt has heard of C-Squat, a tenement […]
Posted on July 1, 2014 | No CommentsDo you know what a lot line window is? Could you identify them in the […]
Posted on June 20, 2014 | No CommentsIt was six years ago today that the 101 Avenue A — home to the […]