Browse By Neighborhood
- Alexander Hamilton and the Village: The hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding...
- Save the Village!: That’s the name of Tim McDarrah’s new walking tours. The tours are based on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 27, 2015 | No CommentsDive bars and dead prostitutes! While these could be plot points in any Hollywood movie, […]
Posted on August 25, 2015 | No CommentsThere’s an appealing 1951 painting by Stuart Davis owned by the Whitney Museum of American […]
Posted on August 20, 2015 | No CommentsLast night GVSHP held a public program co-sponsored by The Merchants House Museum; The Merchant’s House Museum – […]
Posted on August 19, 2015 | No CommentsToday we launch a new occasional series, “The Village Seen,” to display the work of […]
Posted on August 14, 2015 | 2 CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on August 11, 2015 | No CommentsThirty-four years ago today, on August 11, 1981, the interior first floor of the Ottendorfer […]
Posted on August 10, 2015 | No CommentsOn this day, 45 years ago, the famous McSorley’s Old Ale House at 15 East […]
Posted on August 6, 2015 | No CommentsPolice brutality, class warfare, gentrification — today these are hot button topics, both nationally and […]
Posted on August 5, 2015 | No CommentsThe Ashcan School refers to a loosely knit group of urban realist painters based in […]
Posted on August 4, 2015 | No CommentsAaron Hill, a dedicated Greenwich Village resident and New School Assistant Professor of Data Visualization, […]