Browse By Neighborhood
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204 Today!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most...
- King’s Assassination Began Fifteen Year Quest for a National Holiday: Forty-five years ago today, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 24, 2015 | No CommentsThe organic food movement is no longer just a trend, but a necessity for many […]
Posted on April 23, 2015 | No CommentsIt’s that blooming, buoyant, too-brief time of year again, when flowers abound – particularly, this […]
Posted on April 17, 2015 | No CommentsFor weeks now we’ve all been celebrating the 50th anniversary of the signing of New […]
Posted on April 16, 2015 | No CommentsA lot can happen in 50 years, and many of us are celebrating the 50th […]
Posted on April 9, 2015 | No CommentsIt’s been a heavy spring so far, with troubling news around the world, the nation, […]
Posted on April 8, 2015 | No CommentsOn this date 80 years ago President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act. […]
Posted on April 3, 2015 | No CommentsAt last, it appears that spring has finally arrived in New York City, and not […]
Posted on April 1, 2015 | 1 CommentIt was just shy of a month ago, on March 5, that a forum called […]
Posted on March 31, 2015 | No CommentsLast Thursday an explosion and fire led to the destruction of three buildings at 119, […]