Browse By Neighborhood
- Community Cornerstones: Penny Jones & Co. Puppets: We here at Off the Grid have often explored the history of the artists' residence...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 33 MacDougal Alley, the Lost Studio of Isamu Noguchi: MacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 11, 2013 | 1 CommentToday we introduce a new feature, Places We Love, focusing on architectural and cultural favorites […]
Posted on October 25, 2013 | No CommentsOn October 26, 1825, New York Governor DeWitt Clinton began a voyage on the Erie […]
Posted on October 24, 2013 | No CommentsWith next Tuesday’s hearing on the possible landmark designation of the Tifereth Israel Town & […]
Posted on October 23, 2013 | No CommentsHere in the world of preserving worthy buildings, there’s a question that often comes up. […]
Posted on October 22, 2013 | No CommentsTucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home […]
Posted on October 18, 2013 | No CommentsThe Carl Fischer Music building dominated the skyline of Astor Place and Cooper Square for […]
Posted on October 16, 2013 | No CommentsGVSHP is proud to share it’s new report “Ten Years – A Thousand Buildings – […]
Posted on October 15, 2013 | No CommentsFor stalwarts of the affordable housing scene in New York City, what obstacles come to […]
Posted on October 14, 2013 | No CommentsTucked mid-block between historic tenements on 6th Street in the East Village is a modern […]
Posted on October 9, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day one year ago, the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission officially designated the East […]