Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Business of the Month: Casa Adela, 66 Avenue C: Your input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 21, 2016 | No CommentsIts been almost two years since the Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewel announced the […]
Posted on April 20, 2016 | 1 CommentRecently, at GVSHP we celebrated the Julius’ “Sip-In,” an event that took place in 1966 […]
Posted on April 19, 2016 | No CommentsFifty-one years ago today, on April 19, 1965, the New York City landmarks law went […]
Posted on April 18, 2016 | 1 Comment50 years ago tomorrow, on April 19, 1966, the LPC landmarked St. Mark’s-in-the-Bowery Church. The Church […]
Posted on April 15, 2016 | No CommentsThis year’s Spring House Tour Benefit is right around the corner and features seven exquisite […]
Posted on April 11, 2016 | No CommentsTomorrow marks the 115th anniversary of the New York State Legislature’s passage of the Tenement House Act of […]
Posted on April 6, 2016 | 1 CommentThe last stop for trolley cars in New York City was this day, April 6th, […]
Posted on March 31, 2016 | No CommentsIf you are one of the over 100,000 people a day that make your way through […]
Posted on March 29, 2016 | 1 CommentFive hundred years ago today, on March 29, 1516, the Venice Ghetto was established by […]
Posted on March 28, 2016 | No CommentsThe Monday following Easter is known to Ukrainians as Dyngus Day, and many Ukrainian American […]