Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 18, 2014 | No CommentsBob Holman has been making poetry downtown for over 25 years. Among his many endeavors, […]
Posted on March 17, 2014 | No CommentsIt seems that on St. Patrick’s Day, everyone is Irish or of Irish descent. The […]
Posted on March 14, 2014 | No CommentsToday a the new exhibition Facades will open at the New-York Historical Society. The exhibition […]
Posted on March 12, 2014 | 1 CommentIt seems like everyone supports small business — it’s as American as Mom and apple […]
Posted on March 10, 2014 | 4 CommentsRecently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists. […]
Posted on March 7, 2014 | No Comments…well, it almost happened that way. The Village and East Village have historically been home […]
Posted on March 5, 2014 | No CommentsIf you haven’t already read it, the Times reported last week on the recent completion […]
Posted on March 3, 2014 | 1 CommentThe New York Marble Cemetery and the New York City Marble Cemetery (yes, it’s confusing) […]
Posted on February 28, 2014 | 1 CommentSo there I was, innocently paging through the New York Times Real Estate section this […]
Posted on February 25, 2014 | 1 CommentThis is the latest installment of Off the Grid’s series, “Greenwich Village Stories,” in which […]