Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Mystery on Avenue D: 143-145 Avenue D, Part 1: What follows is first in a series of posts devoted to our research of the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 4, 2015 | No CommentsThis year’s Gay Pride Month certainly got off to an auspicious start with the New […]
Posted on May 26, 2015 | 5 CommentsWith our Annual Awards coming up on June 17th, over the next few weeks on […]
Posted on May 20, 2015 | No CommentsSince 1912, this site has served as a police station for the NYPD (it replaced […]
Posted on May 18, 2015 | 1 CommentThis past Saturday morning, after a cooling rain shower, a gaggle of curious people went […]
Posted on May 15, 2015 | No CommentsThe Lower East Side means many things to many people. Working as an architectural historian […]
Posted on May 13, 2015 | No CommentsGVSHP is proud to be a co-sponsor of the New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites […]
Posted on May 8, 2015 | No CommentsIn 1984, East Village resident Dan Root took some photographs for a book that a […]
Posted on May 8, 2015 | No CommentsLast week, GVSHP had the honor of hosting a public program “100 Years of Preservation: […]
Posted on May 6, 2015 | No Comments“The Lower East Side is not gone yet,” Ryan Gilliam told the group assembled in […]
Posted on May 1, 2015 | No CommentsThe weather forecast for this Sunday is beautiful — 70’s and sunny — the perfect […]