Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 19, 2014 | No CommentsLast night, in the main gallery of the Salmagundi Club on 5th Avenue, GVSHP Executive […]
Posted on July 25, 2014 | No CommentsThe “Gilded Age” in New York City – roughly 1870 through 1900 – gets something […]
Posted on July 24, 2014 | No CommentsSeven years ago today, on July 24th, 2007, two very lucky federal rowhouse survivors on […]
Posted on July 16, 2014 | No CommentsStreet construction is a constant part of New York life. The jackhammers, the dust, and […]
Posted on July 1, 2014 | No CommentsDo you know what a lot line window is? Could you identify them in the […]
Posted on June 27, 2014 | No CommentsThis post is part of the Looking Up series, which explores the unique architectural and […]
Posted on June 17, 2014 | No CommentsLast evening, as part of GVSHP’s Annual Meeting, we celebrated the best of Greenwich Village, […]
Posted on June 16, 2014 | No CommentsEvery so often we get a call or an email here at GVSHP asking about […]
Posted on May 28, 2014 | No CommentsIn continuation of our Landmarking 101 series, today we’re focusing on active violations on a […]
Posted on May 22, 2014 | No CommentsIn 1973, what was once one of the largest and most elegant hotels in the […]