Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- 57 Sullivan Street — A Landmark Designation Long Overdue: As one of the oldest surviving houses in Manhattan, 57 Sullivan Street has born witness...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 10, 2016 | No CommentsThe Noho Historic District embraces a broad arc of New York City’s commercial history from the […]
Posted on January 4, 2016 | No CommentsIt’s always nice to start the new year off on a good note. So we were […]
Posted on December 18, 2015 | No CommentsAs 2015 comes to a close and 2016 approaches, here is a look back at […]
Posted on December 2, 2015 | No CommentsAll this year we have been celebrating the 50th anniversary of the New York City […]
Posted on November 3, 2015 | No CommentsOn the morning of January 31, 1857 the body of Dr. Harvey Burdell was discovered […]
Posted on October 30, 2015 | No CommentsLast night GVSHP presented a program at the Jefferson Market Library about the history of […]
Posted on October 29, 2015 | No CommentsAs Halloween is right around the corner, we here at the Greenwich Village Society for […]
Posted on October 22, 2015 | No CommentsWe celebrate Landmarks50 by taking a look at Joseph Papp Public Theater (often referred to […]
Posted on October 14, 2015 | No CommentsWe continue the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Landmarks Law by learning about […]
Posted on September 21, 2015 | 1 CommentYesterday, September 20th, was the 49th anniversary of the landmark designation of the Flatiron Building. […]