Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 19, 2016 | No CommentsFifty-one years ago today, on April 19, 1965, the New York City landmarks law went […]
Posted on April 14, 2016 | 1 CommentOn this day in 1924, the architect Louis Sullivan, the “father of modernism,” key figure […]
Posted on April 6, 2016 | 1 CommentThe last stop for trolley cars in New York City was this day, April 6th, […]
Posted on March 31, 2016 | No CommentsIf you are one of the over 100,000 people a day that make your way through […]
Posted on March 15, 2016 | 1 CommentYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on March 8, 2016 | No Comments25 Bleecker Street is one of nine extant buildings originally constructed as Federal style row […]
On this Day: Washington Square Village Found Eligible for State and National Registers of Historic PlacesPosted on February 23, 2016 | No CommentsOn this date in 2011, the New York State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), presented a […]
Posted on February 10, 2016 | No CommentsThe Noho Historic District embraces a broad arc of New York City’s commercial history from the […]
Posted on January 4, 2016 | No CommentsIt’s always nice to start the new year off on a good note. So we were […]
Posted on December 18, 2015 | No CommentsAs 2015 comes to a close and 2016 approaches, here is a look back at […]