Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Barbara Shaum, 1929-2015: In June, 2015 GVSHP was proud to award Barbara Shaum a Village Award. We are ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 26, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1734, Samuel Jones, namesake of Great Jones Street in NoHo, was […]
Posted on July 20, 2016 | No CommentsLast night, Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, alongside the Neighborhood Preservation Center and Village […]
Posted on July 18, 2016 | 1 CommentWant to build higher than you are allowed under existing rezoning? Or operate a gas […]
Posted on July 13, 2016 | No CommentsJean-Michel Basquiat’s life and work are synonymous with the East Village/NoHo art scene of the […]
Posted on July 6, 2016 | No CommentsPart of my job at GVSHP as the Director of Research and Preservation is to […]
Posted on May 11, 2016 | No CommentsEighty years ago today, on May 11, 1936, the old Tredwell house on 4th Street […]
Posted on April 19, 2016 | No CommentsFifty-one years ago today, on April 19, 1965, the New York City landmarks law went […]
Posted on April 14, 2016 | 1 CommentOn this day in 1924, the architect Louis Sullivan, the “father of modernism,” key figure […]
Posted on April 6, 2016 | 1 CommentThe last stop for trolley cars in New York City was this day, April 6th, […]
Posted on March 31, 2016 | 1 CommentIf you are one of the over 100,000 people a day that make your way through […]