Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- From Parking Lot to Car Free Washington Square Park: Today is Earth Day, first celebrated in NYC in 1970, and you may notice some...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 29, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally written by Drew Durniak Map […]
Posted on April 27, 2016 | No CommentsThis year’s Spring House Tour Benefit is right around the corner (this Sunday, actually), and features […]
Posted on April 19, 2016 | No CommentsFifty-one years ago today, on April 19, 1965, the New York City landmarks law went […]
Posted on April 11, 2016 | No CommentsTomorrow marks the 115th anniversary of the New York State Legislature’s passage of the Tenement House Act of […]
Posted on April 8, 2016 | No CommentsFive years ago this Sunday GVSHP and other community and preservation groups held a Rally to […]
Posted on April 4, 2016 | 1 CommentFive years ago we wrote about the terrible, deteriorating conditions at 43 MacDougal Street, a […]
Posted on April 1, 2016 | No CommentsWhile the Rocky Horror Picture Show premiered in London and Los Angeles in 1975, the […]
Posted on March 25, 2016 | No CommentsTomorrow will mark one year since the tragic gas explosion on Second Avenue and 7th […]
Posted on March 21, 2016 | No CommentsFour years ago today, the South Village was named to the Preservation League of New York […]
Posted on March 18, 2016 | No CommentsJane Jacobs, who once lived on Hudson Street in the West Village, wrote the book, […]