Browse By Neighborhood
- University Village/Silver Towers – Urban Design that Stands the Test of Time: Greenwich Village is home to what is considered by many one of the finest examples...
- Happy Birthday Oscar Wilde: Today is the one hundred and fifty-eighth birthday of the Irish writer Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- High Line, Part 3: Congratulations to our friends at The High Line! The third and final section of the...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 19, 2015 | No CommentsTom Bernardin has been a good friend to GVSHP for some time. And it’s safe […]
Posted on November 13, 2015 | No CommentsBurial spaces serve a wide variety of purposes: religious, political, socioeconomic. For example, a graveyard […]
Posted on November 10, 2015 | No CommentsTwelve years ago tomorrow, GVSHP began an initiative to secure historic district designation for the […]
Posted on November 5, 2015 | 1 CommentOn Monday, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation hosted a program on the oral […]
Posted on October 30, 2015 | No CommentsLast night GVSHP presented a program at the Jefferson Market Library about the history of […]
Posted on October 15, 2015 | No CommentsGreenwich Village in the early 19th century had a varied mix of racial communities living […]
Posted on October 8, 2015 | 1 CommentEight years ago today, on October 8, 2007, GVSHP published the report, “The Italians of […]
Posted on September 30, 2015 | No CommentsThe writer we know as Truman Capote was born Truman Streckfus Persons on September 30, […]
Posted on September 29, 2015 | No CommentsThere are hundreds of individual landmarks in Manhattan alone – many in Greenwich Village, NoHo, the […]
Posted on September 21, 2015 | 1 CommentYesterday, September 20th, was the 49th anniversary of the landmark designation of the Flatiron Building. […]