Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Business of the Month: St. Mark’s Bookshop, 136 East 3rd Street: Your input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 5, 2016 | No CommentsAs one of the oldest surviving houses in Manhattan, 57 Sullivan Street has born witness […]
Posted on February 2, 2016 | No Comments12 years ago tomorrow, our colleagues at the Municipal Arts Society sent a letter to […]
Posted on January 29, 2016 | No CommentsSince 1976, the United States has celebrated Black History Month, also called African-American History Month, […]
Posted on January 26, 2016 | No CommentsActivist, leftist, and radical feminist, these are just some of the words used to describe […]
Posted on January 20, 2016 | No CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on January 7, 2016 | No CommentsHappy New Year! Tomorrow will mark my four month anniversary working for GVSHP and […]
Posted on January 4, 2016 | No CommentsIt’s always nice to start the new year off on a good note. So we were […]
Posted on December 23, 2015 | No CommentsAs 2015 comes to a close, we are thankful for the generous support of our members […]
Posted on December 17, 2015 | No CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on December 7, 2015 | No CommentsGreenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation is excited to share our oral history collection with […]