Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 24, 2016 | No CommentsThis past Wednesday marks six years since the designation of the Greenwich Village Historic District […]
Posted on June 22, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1984, the movie The Pope of Greenwich Village was released in […]
Posted on June 21, 2016 | No CommentsHappy Pride Week! Each June during the week leading up to the Gay Pride March, NYC […]
Posted on June 2, 2016 | 1 CommentYou can buy bottled water. You can buy plots of land. And in New York (and some […]
Posted on May 4, 2016 | No CommentsNot long ago, in theaters far, far away (and near too), a movie came out that […]
Posted on May 3, 2016 | No CommentsIn 1955 the Committee to Save Washington Square Park was distributing flyers to alert the […]
Posted on April 29, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally written by Drew Durniak Map […]
Posted on April 27, 2016 | No CommentsThis year’s Spring House Tour Benefit is right around the corner (this Sunday, actually), and features […]
Posted on April 19, 2016 | No CommentsFifty-one years ago today, on April 19, 1965, the New York City landmarks law went […]
Posted on April 11, 2016 | No CommentsTomorrow marks the 115th anniversary of the New York State Legislature’s passage of the Tenement House Act of […]