Browse By Neighborhood
- University Village/Silver Towers – Urban Design that Stands the Test of Time: Greenwich Village is home to what is considered by many one of the finest examples...
- James Baldwin and His Greenwich Village: What is it about James Baldwin? This writer, long recognized as an important voice in American...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- High Line, Part 3: Congratulations to our friends at The High Line! The third and final section of the...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 8, 2015 | No CommentsEight years ago today, on October 8, 2007, GVSHP published the report, “The Italians of […]
Posted on September 30, 2015 | No CommentsThe writer we know as Truman Capote was born Truman Streckfus Persons on September 30, […]
Posted on September 29, 2015 | No CommentsThere are hundreds of individual landmarks in Manhattan alone – many in Greenwich Village, NoHo, the […]
Posted on September 21, 2015 | No CommentsYesterday, September 20th, was the 49th anniversary of the landmark designation of the Flatiron Building. […]
Posted on August 28, 2015 | No CommentsIt’s been over four years since the original It Happened Here: 80’s Music Videos graced the […]
Posted on August 12, 2015 | 1 CommentThe hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding […]
Posted on August 10, 2015 | No CommentsOn this day, 45 years ago, the famous McSorley’s Old Ale House at 15 East […]
Posted on August 3, 2015 | No CommentsIf you have ever noticed the beautiful row houses along MacDougal Street and Sullivan Street […]
Posted on July 31, 2015 | No CommentsHere at Off the Grid we are sad to report that we have lost a […]
Posted on July 23, 2015 | No CommentsI recently read the novella Washington Square for the first time, eager to see how […]