Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on May 16, 2013 | No CommentsA recent post by Rock Cellar Magazine entitled “Rock Meccas of NYC: What Are They...
Posted on May 1, 2013 | No CommentsThose following May Day protests today might be interested in learning about the day’s long...
Posted on April 4, 2013 | No CommentsForty-five years ago today, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on the...
Posted on March 6, 2013 | No CommentsAustralian artist James Gulliver Hancock began to draw buildings during his travels, allowing him to...
Posted on February 27, 2013 | No CommentsGVSHP’s program this evening, the Art of Exterior Ornamentation: A Talk with the Owners of...
Posted on February 22, 2013 | No CommentsTomorrow The New School will hold the second part of its symposium, The Feminine Mystique...
Posted on February 12, 2013 | No CommentsDid you know that since 1991, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation has offered...
Posted on February 11, 2013 | No CommentsThe weekend blizzard, dubbed Nemo by some media outlets, dropped 11.4 inches of snow as...
Posted on January 24, 2013 | No CommentsReaders of Off the Grid should be familiar with the many preservation victories Greenwich Village...
Posted on November 19, 2012 | No CommentsIt’s easy to see much of the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy. But one of...