Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Dog Day Anniversary: The wedding of John Wojtowicz and Ernest Aron (later Elizabeth Eden). Forty -four years ago today ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 25, 2016 | No CommentsRecently we have been running a series in Off the Grid on the Village as […]
Posted on August 24, 2016 | No CommentsAt 283 Bleecker Street, a charming green awning once announced the name of an equally […]
Posted on August 23, 2016 | No CommentsCharles Busch is the quintessential Villager. A prolific playwright and actor, he has lived in […]
Posted on August 19, 2016 | No CommentsBelieve it or not, the Soho Playhouse is actually within the Charlton-King-Vandam Historic District, which […]
Posted on August 18, 2016 | No CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — help […]
Posted on August 17, 2016 | No CommentsTwenty-three years ago, New York Magazine was worried about the Village. And they weren’t the […]
Posted on August 16, 2016 | No CommentsOccassionally in the course of my research of buildings in our area, I come across […]
Posted on August 15, 2016 | No Comments50 years ago tomorrow, August 16th, the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the Charlton-King-Vandam Historic District. This […]
Posted on August 12, 2016 | No CommentsAugust 12th, 1988, also fell on a Friday. On that warm summer Friday 28 years […]
Posted on August 11, 2016 | No CommentsSummer time, and the bounty of vegetables and fruits are abundant. Sometimes you want a […]