Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 12, 2011 | No CommentsOn this day in 1954, November 12th, America’s gateway, Ellis Island, closed its doors for […]
Posted on November 9, 2011 | No CommentsGothamist goes inside the vault at Pfaff’s, the 19th century beer cellar turned cocktail loungs….and […]
Posted on November 9, 2011 | No CommentsDemolition permits on file for historic 316 East 3rd Street (EV Grieve) New York’s most […]
Posted on November 9, 2011 | No Commentsimage courtesy of Bob Estremera On the market: a loft/antique store hybrid and St. Vincent’s […]
Posted on November 7, 2011 | No CommentsAs GVSHP gears up for our benefit evening Much Ado About Noshing this evening with […]
Posted on November 5, 2011 | No CommentsLooking back at Gansevoort Plaza (Forgotten NY) MTA misspells “Bleecker Street” (Gothamist) Greenwich Village duplex […]
Posted on November 5, 2011 | No CommentsCooper Union may charge tuition (NY Times) Villa Capri condos coming to Avenue C (Curbed) […]
Posted on October 29, 2011 | No CommentsFormer 13th Street crack house may become housing for homeless LGBT youth (EV Grieve) Cooper […]
Posted on October 29, 2011 | No CommentsJeremiah’s Vanishing New York has more on disappearing newsstands High Line gets record $20 million […]
Posted on October 26, 2011 | No CommentsFormer Harry Chong Chinese Laundry space for rent again (Jeremiah’s Vanishing New York) Epic rooftop […]