Browse By Neighborhood
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204 Today!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most...
- King’s Assassination Began Fifteen Year Quest for a National Holiday: Forty-five years ago today, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 8, 2014 | No CommentsHappy birthday Kevin Bacon! The versatile actor/musician/philanthropist turns 56 today, born in Philadelphia to Ruth […]
Posted on July 2, 2014 | No CommentsThirty-three years ago this Thursday, on July 3, 1981, the New York Times ran a […]
Posted on June 30, 2014 | No CommentsOn June 28, 1914, in a place far away from Greenwich Village, something happened that […]
Posted on June 25, 2014 | No CommentsLast night GVSHP presented a program at the Community Room at Westbeth with author Prof. […]
Posted on June 24, 2014 | No CommentsThey’re next door neighbors, but they could not be more different. One is high-rise and […]
Posted on June 17, 2014 | No CommentsLast evening, as part of GVSHP’s Annual Meeting, we celebrated the best of Greenwich Village, […]
Posted on June 13, 2014 | 1 CommentOn a hot summer day in the East Village, when your skin is sticky and […]
Posted on June 6, 2014 | No CommentsYou’re invited to a plaque unveiling and festivities honoring Frank O’Hara on Tuesday, June 10 […]
Posted on June 5, 2014 | 1 CommentLocated at 34 Carmine Street between Bleecker and Bedford Streets, Unoppressive Non-Imperialist Bargain Books has […]