Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Dog Day Anniversary: The wedding of John Wojtowicz and Ernest Aron (later Elizabeth Eden). Forty -four years ago today ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 28, 2016 | No CommentsInfluential Abstract Expressionist painter Paul Jackson Pollock was born on January 28, 1912 in Cody, […]
Posted on January 27, 2016 | No CommentsToday marks the two year passing of folk music legend Pete Seeger. Seeger was an […]
Posted on January 22, 2016 | No CommentsThe Washington Square Arch in Washington Square Park is in some ways the heart of […]
Posted on January 19, 2016 | No CommentsAs reported by our allies the Friends of the Upper East Side Historic Districts, the New […]
Posted on January 15, 2016 | No CommentsOn January 17th, 2012, the LPC designated the East 10th Street Historic District. The district includes […]
Posted on January 14, 2016 | No CommentsForty-seven years ago, on January 14th 1969, the Landmarks Preservation Commission concluded that, “On the […]
Posted on January 13, 2016 | No CommentsIn 1985 the MTA founded what was then called Arts for Transit and Urban Design […]
Posted on January 8, 2016 | 4 CommentsDesignated on November 14, 2006, 159 Charles Street is significant as a relatively rare surviving […]
Posted on January 7, 2016 | No CommentsHappy New Year! Tomorrow will mark my four month anniversary working for GVSHP and […]
Posted on January 6, 2016 | 1 CommentGVSHP Board of Advisors member Carol Greitzer was very active in the early preservation movement […]