Browse By Neighborhood
- Alexander Hamilton and the Village: The hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding...
- Save the Village!: That’s the name of Tim McDarrah’s new walking tours. The tours are based on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 11, 2014 | No CommentsLast week’s community meeting about the need to better preserve and protect the Village’s University […]
Posted on December 3, 2014 | No CommentsToday you may be shaking your head over the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s shocking plan to […]
Posted on December 1, 2014 | No CommentsSince 1988, December 1 has marked a day of awareness for the global pandemic of […]
Posted on November 25, 2014 | No CommentsBY ANDREW BERMAN | Imagine a young developer from a big New York real estate […]
Posted on November 20, 2014 | 1 CommentSometimes the riches of what’s given away for free in New York City can feel […]
Posted on November 17, 2014 | 1 CommentToday we were all hit with the surprise news that a $130 million contribution from […]
Posted on November 14, 2014 | No CommentsCan you identify the image in the photo above? On Monday evening, November 17th, we’ll […]
Posted on November 7, 2014 | No CommentsTomorrow marks forty-two years since the release of Lou Reed’s classic paean to downtown New […]
Posted on November 5, 2014 | 1 CommentThe Village is quiet today, as if enjoying a lull after the storm of elections. […]