Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- From Parking Lot to Car Free Washington Square Park: Today is Earth Day, first celebrated in NYC in 1970, and you may notice some...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 31, 2015 | No CommentsOn Wednesday, September 9, a bill will be introduced to the City Council that, if […]
Posted on August 28, 2015 | No CommentsIt’s been over four years since the original It Happened Here: 80’s Music Videos graced the […]
Posted on August 27, 2015 | No CommentsDive bars and dead prostitutes! While these could be plot points in any Hollywood movie, […]
Posted on August 26, 2015 | No CommentsThat’s the name of Tim McDarrah’s new walking tours. The tours are based on the […]
Posted on August 24, 2015 | No CommentsAcclaimed author and journalist Tom Wolfe is known for his use of New Journalism (employing […]
Posted on August 20, 2015 | No CommentsLast night GVSHP held a public program co-sponsored by The Merchants House Museum; The Merchant’s House Museum – […]
Posted on August 19, 2015 | No CommentsToday we launch a new occasional series, “The Village Seen,” to display the work of […]
Posted on August 18, 2015 | No CommentsOn August 18, 1970, the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated landmark status to the grand Greek […]
Posted on August 14, 2015 | 2 CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on August 13, 2015 | No CommentsHere at Off the Grid we are primarily concerned with Greenwich Village, the East Village, […]