Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 1, 2013 | No CommentsOn October 1, 1998, Charlie Zito passed away after years of baking bread on Bleecker […]
Posted on September 24, 2013 | No CommentsF. Scott Fitzgerald, considered one of the greatest American writers of the 20th century and […]
Posted on September 23, 2013 | No CommentsSeptember means back-to-school time for a lot of New Yorkers, and GVSHP is no exception. […]
Posted on September 20, 2013 | 3 CommentsIt was ten years ago this month that the city’s Independent Budget Office (IBO) released […]
Posted on September 11, 2013 | No CommentsFor a few days after the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001, life in Greenwich […]
Posted on September 5, 2013 | 2 CommentsOn September 6, 1901, President William McKinley was shot while visiting the Pan-American Exposition in […]
Posted on August 26, 2013 | 1 Comment…what a long, strange trip it’s been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, […]
Posted on August 23, 2013 | No CommentsFifty years ago this coming week, on August 28th, 1963, one of the most iconic […]
Posted on August 7, 2013 | 1 CommentAs seen in: Don’t Believe REBNY’s Hype; Landmarking Can Help Affordability Read the […]