Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Business of the Month: St. Mark’s Bookshop, 136 East 3rd Street: Your input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 29, 2015 | No CommentsOne hundred and two years ago today, on May 29th, 1913, the revolutionary musical and […]
Posted on May 26, 2015 | 7 CommentsWith our Annual Awards coming up on June 17th, over the next few weeks on […]
Posted on May 22, 2015 | No CommentsJoin us on Wednesday, June 17th for the 35th GVSHP Annual Meeting and 25th Village […]
Posted on May 21, 2015 | 1 CommentThe new location of the Whitney Museum, near the High Line in the neighborhood known […]
Posted on May 20, 2015 | No CommentsSince 1912, this site has served as a police station for the NYPD (it replaced […]
Posted on May 19, 2015 | No CommentsLorraine Vivian Hansberry was born on May 19, 1930. The trailblazing playwright, activist, and Nina […]
Posted on May 18, 2015 | 1 CommentThis past Saturday morning, after a cooling rain shower, a gaggle of curious people went […]
Posted on May 13, 2015 | 1 CommentGVSHP is proud to be a co-sponsor of the New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites […]
Posted on May 12, 2015 | 1 CommentAn Off the Grid reader contacted us to ask for more background information and history about […]