Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Veselka Then and Now: Three years ago today, GVSHP conducted an oral history interview with Veselka owner and GVSHP Trustee ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 17, 2016 | No CommentsTwenty-three years ago, New York Magazine was worried about the Village. And they weren’t the […]
Posted on August 16, 2016 | 1 CommentOccassionally in the course of my research of buildings in our area, I come across […]
Posted on August 15, 2016 | 1 Comment50 years ago tomorrow, August 16th, the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the Charlton-King-Vandam Historic District. This […]
Posted on August 12, 2016 | No CommentsAugust 12th, 1988, also fell on a Friday. On that warm summer Friday 28 years […]
Posted on August 11, 2016 | No CommentsSummer time, and the bounty of vegetables and fruits are abundant. Sometimes you want a […]
Posted on August 5, 2016 | No CommentsLongtime GVSHP member Miriam Cahn has called the Village her home for over 45 years. […]
Posted on August 3, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally written by Drew Durniak On this […]
Posted on August 1, 2016 | No CommentsToday marks the 25th anniversary of the release of the landmark documentary Paris Is Burning. Filmed […]
Posted on July 28, 2016 | 1 CommentToday GVSHP pays its respects to Al Orensanz, the Director of the Angel Orensanz Foundation […]
Posted on July 27, 2016 | No CommentsA year ago today, Bert Waggott passed away, surrounded by loved ones. Bert was a […]