Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on July 20, 2011 | No CommentsLast week we explained what a landmark is and how designation affects property owners....
Posted on July 17, 2011 | No Comments$120 Million Village House Boasts Healing Powers (Curbed) Bowery Wine Company Has Closed (EV Grieve)...
Posted on July 16, 2011 | No CommentsGansevoort Hotel’s Pool is the City’s Dirtiest (NY Post) Another British-themed Restaurant Set to Open...
Posted on July 11, 2011 | 2 CommentsWe speak often of historic districts, individual landmarks and national and state register sites but,...
Posted on July 10, 2011 | No CommentsSusan Sarandon Buys West 9th Street Penthouse (NY Observer) Author Takes Readers Back to Greenwich...
Posted on July 9, 2011 | No Comments123 Third Avenue Retail Space Sells for $11 Million (EV Grieve) Stranded Cat Rescued from...
Posted on July 8, 2011 | No CommentsOn July 9, 1962, Bob Dylan recorded “Blowin’ In the Wind,” a song destined to...
Posted on July 3, 2011 | No CommentsIs This the West Village’s Coolest Rooftop? (Curbed) 2011 Pride Parade Had Much to Celebrate...
Posted on July 2, 2011 | No CommentsBig Gay Ice Cream Signage Spotted on 7th Street (EV Grieve) The Yiddish Walk of...
Posted on June 27, 2011 | No CommentsLiquor Panel Deadlocks on 34 Avenue A (Local EV) New Mural on Houston Street Replaces...