Browse By Neighborhood
- Memphis on the Hudson: We look at historic buildings and documents a lot here on Off the Grid. Many...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Happy Birthday Electric Lady Studios…: ...what a long, strange trip it's been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, an...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 29, 2014 | No CommentsLabor Day was created as a federal holiday in 1894, and according to the US […]
Posted on August 27, 2014 | No CommentsGVSHP has always been concerned about the status of small businesses, whether they be […]
Posted on August 26, 2014 | No CommentsNext Thursday evening GVSHP will present a program with photographer Richard Blair about his new […]
Posted on August 22, 2014 | No CommentsThese beautiful late summer days have got us thinking about sun and sky. Which has […]
Posted on August 19, 2014 | No CommentsLast night, in the main gallery of the Salmagundi Club on 5th Avenue, GVSHP Executive […]
Posted on August 18, 2014 | 2 CommentsMuch has been said lately about the potential sale of 121 Charles Street in the […]
Posted on August 15, 2014 | 1 CommentMost of us have experienced the surprise and sadness of walking by a favorite […]
Posted on August 14, 2014 | No CommentsI think I’m infatuated with Greenwich Village’s Hudson River waterfront. I can’t seem to get […]
Posted on August 7, 2014 | No CommentsOne of the most reliable laugh lines from the hilarious current movie Obvious Child doesn’t […]
Posted on August 6, 2014 | No CommentsFrom November 1975 to September 1976, artist Roy Colmer photographed more than 3,000 Manhattan doorways […]