Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The Astor Place Riot: Recently we have been running a series in Off the Grid on the Village as ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 17, 2017 | No CommentsBy now the challenges facing small independent local shops are well known. The good news […]
Posted on January 2, 2017 | No CommentsIf you’re walking down the sidewalk and see someone with a small notebook, staring up […]
Posted on December 31, 2016 | No Comments2016 is coming to an end. What better way to ring in the New Year […]
Posted on December 19, 2016 | No CommentsQuiz time. How well do you know the great shops selected as part of our Business […]
Posted on December 8, 2016 | No CommentsOne of my favorite two-block sections in Greenwich Village may be an unlikely one – […]
Posted on December 1, 2016 | No CommentsEvery December 1st since 1988 has been marked as World AIDS Day, but this year’s […]
Posted on November 22, 2016 | No CommentsPeter Ruta, born February 7th, 1918, recently passed away on November 16th, 2016, at his […]
Posted on November 18, 2016 | No Comments14th Street is an eclectic ecotone; it’s not only the upper boundary of the Village […]
Posted on November 15, 2016 | No CommentsWhat makes New York the greatest city in the world? There are many ways to […]