Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The Astor Place Riot: Recently we have been running a series in Off the Grid on the Village as ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 1, 2016 | No CommentsEvery December 1st since 1988 has been marked as World AIDS Day, but this year’s […]
Posted on November 22, 2016 | No CommentsPeter Ruta, born February 7th, 1918, recently passed away on November 16th, 2016, at his […]
Posted on November 18, 2016 | No Comments14th Street is an eclectic ecotone; it’s not only the upper boundary of the Village […]
Posted on November 15, 2016 | No CommentsWhat makes New York the greatest city in the world? There are many ways to […]
Posted on November 14, 2016 | No CommentsFor over 85 years, the 195 foot tall smokestacks of the Superior Inks building were […]
Posted on November 7, 2016 | No CommentsThis Thursday, GVSHP will be hosting a program with our October Business of the Month, […]
Posted on November 4, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP has now made available on our website a classic preservation and architectural history resource […]
Posted on October 28, 2016 | No CommentsHalloween is right around the corner, so for this installment of Village People, let’s take […]
Posted on October 18, 2016 | 1 CommentIt was 100 years ago this Sunday, October 16th, that Margaret Sanger opened her first family […]
Posted on October 14, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1961, fashion designer, author, and friend of GVSHP Issac Mizrahi was born […]