Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 17, 2014 | No CommentsFor many New Yorkers, buying a Christmas tree from a street side vendor is part […]
Posted on December 16, 2014 | No CommentsMuch of the Village Voice from the 1950s to the mid-2000s is available to view […]
Posted on December 15, 2014 | No CommentsFor today’s Building Broadway post, we thought we’d take a look at the former McCreery’s […]
Posted on December 12, 2014 | No CommentsFor decades, various industries have used Greenwich Village (or the romanticized idea of Greenwich Village) […]
Posted on December 11, 2014 | No CommentsLast week’s community meeting about the need to better preserve and protect the Village’s University […]
Posted on December 9, 2014 | No CommentsDecember is chock full of holidays and no shortage of holiday tree lightings, carol singing […]
Posted on December 8, 2014 | No CommentsThough a rare surviving architectural element today, the tearoom (also known as a back porch […]
Posted on December 6, 2014 | No CommentsA week ago we were surrounded by ads for “Black Friday,” a day many people […]
Posted on December 3, 2014 | No CommentsToday you may be shaking your head over the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s shocking plan to […]
Posted on December 2, 2014 | No CommentsA Keith Haring sculpture (Self Portrait; 1989) has recently appeared in front of 51 Astor […]