Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 18, 2014 | No CommentsApril 18 and 19 mark two incredibly important Far West Village preservation anniversaries — each […]
Posted on April 10, 2014 | No CommentsSeven years ago, a picturesque swath of lower Manhattan by the Hudson River was listed […]
Posted on April 9, 2014 | 1 CommentI recently spent my vacation visiting the European cities of Barcelona, Rome, and Trieste. During […]
Posted on April 8, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the […]
Posted on April 7, 2014 | No CommentsThe Emergency Relief Appropriation Act was passed by Congress on April 8 in 1935, five […]
Posted on April 3, 2014 | No CommentsWith the refreshingly spring-like weather making us long for a walk in the park today, […]
Posted on April 2, 2014 | 2 CommentsForty-six years ago today, on April 2, 1968, the groundbreaking film “2001: A Space Odyssey” […]
Posted on April 1, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the […]
Posted on March 28, 2014 | No CommentsIf one has the occasion to think about incarceration in the Village, many long-time residents […]
Posted on March 26, 2014 | No CommentsAt 293 and 297 West 4th Street, between Bank and West 11th Streets in the […]