Browse By Neighborhood
- Community Cornerstones: Penny Jones & Co. Puppets: We here at Off the Grid have often explored the history of the artists' residence...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 33 MacDougal Alley, the Lost Studio of Isamu Noguchi: MacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 12, 2013 | No CommentsWe hope you and your neighbors can join us tomorrow evening for an important community […]
Posted on November 5, 2013 | No CommentsToday we take a look back at a piece written by former GVSHP staffer Dana […]
Posted on November 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsMr. Mayor, don’t forget the Landmarks Preservation Commission! Amid lobbying on higher-profile issues like stop-and-frisk, […]
Posted on November 1, 2013 | 1 CommentAs Election Day approaches, like many of you, we’re wondering what the future holds for […]
Posted on October 30, 2013 | No CommentsIt's that time of year again. Someone dressed as Minnie Mouse passes you on your […]
Posted on October 29, 2013 | No CommentsIf the “art deco masterpiece” that is 570 Lexington Avenue no longer stood on the […]
Posted on October 25, 2013 | No CommentsOn October 26, 1825, New York Governor DeWitt Clinton began a voyage on the Erie […]
Posted on October 24, 2013 | No CommentsWith next Tuesday’s hearing on the possible landmark designation of the Tifereth Israel Town & […]
Posted on October 22, 2013 | No CommentsTucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home […]
Posted on October 16, 2013 | No CommentsGVSHP is proud to share it’s new report “Ten Years – A Thousand Buildings – […]