Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 2, 2016 | 1 CommentYou can buy bottled water. You can buy plots of land. And in New York (and some […]
Posted on May 31, 2016 | 1 CommentOff the Grid is highlighting the 2016 Village Awards winners in the lead up to the […]
Posted on May 17, 2016 | No CommentsNinety two years ago today, dance archivist David Vaughan was born in London, England. Vaughan […]
Posted on May 13, 2016 | No CommentsOff the Grid is highlighting the 2016 Village Awards winners in the lead up to the […]
Posted on May 5, 2016 | No CommentsYesterday was Jane Jacobs’ 100th birthday, an event marked and celebrated throughout the world. Here […]
Posted on May 3, 2016 | No CommentsIn 1955 the Committee to Save Washington Square Park was distributing flyers to alert the […]
Posted on April 29, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally written by Drew Durniak Map […]
Posted on April 27, 2016 | No CommentsThis year’s Spring House Tour Benefit is right around the corner (this Sunday, actually), and features […]
Posted on April 22, 2016 | No CommentsToday is Earth Day, first celebrated in NYC in 1970, and you may notice some […]
Posted on April 21, 2016 | No CommentsIts been almost two years since the Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewel announced the […]