Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The House of Death: 14 West 10th Street is a Greek Revival house near Washington Square Park with a ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 31, 2016 | No CommentsOn August 31, 1928, Bertolt Brecht’s The Threepenny Opera premiered in Berlin.
Posted on August 30, 2016 | No CommentsIt’s “back to school” time again, when the temperatures drop (very slightly), students flood back […]
Posted on August 26, 2016 | No CommentsThis summer, the Museum of Ice Cream opened in Gansevoort Market, allowing visitors to swim in […]
Posted on August 24, 2016 | 1 CommentAt 283 Bleecker Street, a charming green awning once announced the name of an equally […]
Posted on August 22, 2016 | No CommentsThe wedding of John Wojtowicz and Ernest Aron (later Elizabeth Eden). Forty -four years […]
Posted on August 17, 2016 | No CommentsTwenty-three years ago, New York Magazine was worried about the Village. And they weren’t the […]
Posted on August 9, 2016 | No CommentsSome things never change about New York City life; New Yorkers’ social lives have seemingly […]
Posted on August 8, 2016 | No CommentsOn Wednesday, Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation will be hosting a walking tour on […]
Posted on August 4, 2016 | No CommentsRecently, GVSHP has been reporting on and testifying against the plans for a building to […]
Posted on August 1, 2016 | No CommentsToday marks the 25th anniversary of the release of the landmark documentary Paris Is Burning. Filmed […]