Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 11, 2016 | No CommentsNine years ago today, on a freezing cold February day (like today), GVSHP and hundreds of […]
Posted on February 10, 2016 | No CommentsThe Noho Historic District embraces a broad arc of New York City’s commercial history from the […]
Posted on February 9, 2016 | No CommentsAs regular readers of “Off the Grid” will know, one of many ways GVSHP has […]
Posted on February 8, 2016 | No CommentsOn February 7, 1960 the New York Times wrote an article discussing changes in Greenwich […]
Posted on February 5, 2016 | No CommentsAs one of the oldest surviving houses in Manhattan, 57 Sullivan Street has born witness […]
Posted on February 3, 2016 | 1 CommentYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on February 3, 2016 | 1 CommentTomorrow marks the 40th anniversary of the release of Next Stop, Greenwich Village. Many movies, […]
Posted on February 2, 2016 | 1 Comment12 years ago tomorrow, our colleagues at the Municipal Arts Society sent a letter to […]
Posted on February 1, 2016 | 1 CommentGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on January 29, 2016 | No CommentsSince 1976, the United States has celebrated Black History Month, also called African-American History Month, […]