Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The First Landmarks Preservation Commission Hearing, September 21, 1965: Fifty-one years ago today, on September 21, 1965, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held its ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 18, 2016 | No CommentsSpringtime has arrived in our wonderful neighborhoods. Many more people are out and about. Locals and […]
Posted on May 17, 2016 | No CommentsNinety two years ago today, dance archivist David Vaughan was born in London, England. Vaughan […]
Posted on May 13, 2016 | No CommentsOff the Grid is highlighting the 2016 Village Awards winners in the lead up to the […]
Posted on May 12, 2016 | 1 CommentEarlier this week the NYU Furman Center, which studies real estate development and urban policies, […]
Posted on May 11, 2016 | No CommentsEighty years ago today, on May 11, 1936, the old Tredwell house on 4th Street […]
Posted on May 10, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally by Karen Loew The New York […]
Posted on May 9, 2016 | No CommentsYesterday we celebrated Mother’s Day. Today, we celebrate Julia Ward Howe. Julia Ward Howe was a true […]
Posted on May 6, 2016 | 1 CommentGreenwich Village, the East Village and NoHo offer a vast array of architectural styles that […]
Posted on May 5, 2016 | 1 CommentYesterday was Jane Jacobs’ 100th birthday, an event marked and celebrated throughout the world. Here […]
Posted on May 4, 2016 | No CommentsNot long ago, in theaters far, far away (and near too), a movie came out that […]