Browse By Neighborhood
- Memphis on the Hudson: We look at historic buildings and documents a lot here on Off the Grid. Many...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Happy Birthday Electric Lady Studios…: ...what a long, strange trip it's been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, an...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 23, 2014 | No CommentsToday marks William Shakespeare’s 450th birthday, although some sources say his exact date of birth […]
Posted on April 22, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the people, […]
Posted on April 21, 2014 | No CommentsOn April 22, 1831, the City of New York acquired the land that is now […]
Posted on April 18, 2014 | No CommentsApril 18 and 19 mark two incredibly important Far West Village preservation anniversaries — each […]
Posted on April 17, 2014 | No CommentsBack in high school, I don’t remember History being everyone’s (or was that anyone’s?) favorite […]
Posted on April 16, 2014 | No CommentsIt seems that you can’t look at the news these days without seeing something about […]
Posted on April 15, 2014 | 1 CommentThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the people, […]
Posted on April 14, 2014 | No CommentsIt was almost 150 years ago this evening that President Abraham Lincoln was fatally shot […]
Posted on April 11, 2014 | 1 CommentThe 20th century had hardly begun when the New York State legislature signed into law […]
Posted on April 10, 2014 | No CommentsSeven years ago, a picturesque swath of lower Manhattan by the Hudson River was listed […]