Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 7, 2014 | 4 CommentsAs I was walking along East 11th Street recently I happened to notice two tenements […]
Posted on May 6, 2014 | No CommentsThis week we have two milestone anniversaries that relate to my old stomping grounds, Carmine […]
Posted on May 5, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the people, […]
Posted on May 2, 2014 | No CommentsOn May 3, 1849, Jacob August Riis was born in Denmark. At age 21, he […]
Posted on May 1, 2014 | No CommentsWelcome to the inaugural post in our Throwback Thursday series where we will share some […]
Posted on April 30, 2014 | No CommentsPenny Arcade has been living the bohemian life in New York City, and making art […]
Posted on April 29, 2014 | No CommentsForty-five years ago today, mayor John Lindsay was still smarting from the botched cleanup of […]
Posted on April 28, 2014 | 1 CommentWarm, sunny days in the Village have us here at GVSHP looking forward to our […]
Posted on April 25, 2014 | 1 CommentOne of the many tools historic preservationists use in their work is historic images. They […]
Posted on April 24, 2014 | No CommentsIn this day and age, information about nearly any topic is at our fingertips. A […]