Browse By Neighborhood
- What’s That Orange Netting On My Neighbor’s Rooftop?: Every so often we get a call or an email here at GVSHP asking about...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Map It! Finding the Lost Stuyvesant Alley: Recently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists....
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 2, 2014 | 1 CommentHappy New Year! And what better way to kick off a brand new year than […]
Posted on December 31, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the last of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
A Rite of Passage for Jewish Gangsters of the Lower East Side: The Manhattan Third District Magistrate’s CourtPosted on December 30, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the third of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 27, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the second of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 26, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the first of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 24, 2013 | No CommentsTraditions abound during the holiday season. For many, family and charity are top priorities, while […]
Posted on December 23, 2013 | No CommentsWe at GVSHP want to wish everyone a happy holiday season and best wishes for […]
Posted on December 20, 2013 | No CommentsOh, if only Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s administration hadn’t auctioned off P.S. 64 to a private […]
Posted on December 19, 2013 | No CommentsOn Tuesday we celebrated the Landmarks Preservation Commission vote to designate the South Village as […]
Posted on December 18, 2013 | No CommentsYesterday, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) voted to create a new landmark […]