Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 5, 2014 | No CommentsIf you haven’t already read it, the Times reported last week on the recent completion […]
Posted on March 4, 2014 | No CommentsAnita Lo serves two of the things people need most: food and stories. Chef and […]
Posted on March 3, 2014 | 1 CommentThe New York Marble Cemetery and the New York City Marble Cemetery (yes, it’s confusing) […]
Posted on February 28, 2014 | 1 CommentSo there I was, innocently paging through the New York Times Real Estate section this […]
Posted on February 27, 2014 | No CommentsToday as usual I was reading my morning newspaper on the subway. There was a […]
Posted on February 26, 2014 | No CommentsBy the time Mabel Dodge (also known, in recognition of her four husbands, as Mabel […]
Posted on February 25, 2014 | 1 CommentThis is the latest installment of Off the Grid’s series, “Greenwich Village Stories,” in which […]
Posted on February 23, 2014 | No CommentsOn February 24th, 1975, Led Zeppelin’s double studio album Physical Graffiti was unleashed upon the […]
Posted on February 21, 2014 | No CommentsThe British poet W.H. Auden, a towering figure of 20th century letters, is not the […]
Posted on February 20, 2014 | No CommentsIn 2012, GVSHP spotlighted the work of Little Red School House/Elisabeth Irwin High School on […]