Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The End of the West Washington Market: On this day in 1954, the West Washington Market, which stood on the west side ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 4, 2016 | No CommentsEveryone seems to have Vice-Presidents on the brain today in anticipation of tonight’s Vice Presidential […]
Posted on October 3, 2016 | No CommentsIf you get GVSHP’s monthly program brochure in your mailbox, you may have noticed something […]
Posted on September 30, 2016 | 1 CommentEver walk by those many empty storefronts, or past the multitude of metastizing chainstores, and […]
Posted on September 29, 2016 | No CommentsLet’s talk about…gentrification. Did your heart just start racing? The term gentrification and its many […]
Posted on September 28, 2016 | No CommentsThis Saturday marks a bittersweet anniversary for us at GVSHP. On that day in 2010, […]
Posted on September 27, 2016 | No CommentsA stroll through the Village on a crisp autumn day offers so many alluring bakeries […]
Posted on September 26, 2016 | No CommentsAutumn is in the air here in the Village! As the leaves start to change […]
Posted on September 23, 2016 | 1 CommentIt’s no secret that the Village has changed. However, due to rising demand for real […]
Posted on September 22, 2016 | No Comments“I’d read about the Village, how Bohemian it was, and after getting thrown out of […]
Posted on September 21, 2016 | No CommentsFifty-one years ago today, on September 21, 1965, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held its […]