Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 2, 2014 | 2 CommentsForty-six years ago today, on April 2, 1968, the groundbreaking film “2001: A Space Odyssey” […]
Posted on April 1, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the […]
Posted on March 31, 2014 | 2 CommentsIt’s finally warm enough to re-start a new feature, Places We Love, focusing on architectural, […]
Posted on March 28, 2014 | No CommentsIf one has the occasion to think about incarceration in the Village, many long-time residents […]
Posted on March 27, 2014 | 1 CommentForty years ago this weekend, the Ramones played their very first public performance. The Ramones […]
Posted on March 26, 2014 | No CommentsAt 293 and 297 West 4th Street, between Bank and West 11th Streets in the […]
Posted on March 25, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid’s series in which we highlight the […]
Posted on March 24, 2014 | No CommentsTomorrow marks the 103rd anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, the 1911 disaster that […]
Posted on March 21, 2014 | No CommentsForty-six years ago on Saturday, the legendary rock band The Doors performed at the East Village’s […]
Posted on March 20, 2014 | No CommentsThis is part of the Looking Up series of posts, which explore the unique architectural […]