Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 5, 2015 | 1 CommentNew York City is known as one of the art capitals of the world. Art […]
Posted on October 2, 2015 | 1 CommentWhat is it about James Baldwin? This writer, long recognized as an important voice in […]
Posted on October 1, 2015 | No CommentsOur latest examination of honorific street names takes us further into the East Village to 1st […]
Posted on September 30, 2015 | No CommentsThe writer we know as Truman Capote was born Truman Streckfus Persons on September 30, […]
Posted on September 29, 2015 | No CommentsThere are hundreds of individual landmarks in Manhattan alone – many in Greenwich Village, NoHo, the […]
Posted on September 28, 2015 | 1 CommentWhen we think of Art Deco architecture in New York City, what often comes to […]
Posted on September 25, 2015 | No CommentsThe smallest piece of property to ever be privately owned in New York City dates […]
Posted on September 24, 2015 | No CommentsGreenwich Village was the first home of the Ferrer Modern School of New York City. […]
Posted on September 23, 2015 | No CommentsToday is Yom Kippur, so let’s take a look at some East Village buildings that […]
Posted on September 22, 2015 | No CommentsThis week marks the 38th anniversary of the landmark designation of the Ottendorfer Branch of […]