Browse By Neighborhood
- A Sad Farewell to Joe’s Dairy: After 60 years, Joe’s Dairy, a small South Village institution specializing in fresh mozzarella (plain, salted, and smoked) will cl
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on October 16, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the one hundred and fifty-eighth birthday of the Irish writer Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie...
Posted on October 15, 2012 | 1 CommentWhen you’ve been living in, working in, and researching the East Village for many years...
Posted on October 12, 2012 | No CommentsTomorrow, Saturday, October 13th, the Public Theater at 425 Lafayette Street (off Astor Place) will...
Posted on October 10, 2012 | No CommentsIt’s one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It’s located...
Posted on October 9, 2012 | No CommentsThe New School’s new building at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 14th Street is...
Posted on October 8, 2012 | 3 CommentsIn September of 2011, Off the Grid reported the discovery of a sign during changes...
Posted on October 5, 2012 | No CommentsMonday, October 8, is Columbus Day, a day of recognition of the arrival of Christopher...
Posted on October 4, 2012 | 2 CommentsLast week, amid the news of an added connection between the Broadway-Lafayette and Bleecker Street...
Posted on October 3, 2012 | No CommentsAs Curbed and EVGrieve recently pointed out, the renderings for a new building to be...
Posted on October 2, 2012 | 1 CommentIn honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month, which takes place each year from September 15th...