Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Business of the Month: Casa Adela, 66 Avenue C: Your input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 28, 2015 | No CommentsForty three years ago today, Stevie Wonder released his album, Talking Book recorded at Electric […]
Posted on October 27, 2015 | 1 CommentInfluential American abstract expressionist painter Lee (Lenore) Krasner, was born on October 27, 1908 to […]
Posted on October 26, 2015 | No CommentsAt this time last year, the Metropolitan Opera was aflame in controversy about an opera […]
Posted on October 23, 2015 | No CommentsFour years ago this Sunday, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) voted unanimously […]
Posted on October 22, 2015 | 1 CommentWe celebrate Landmarks50 by taking a look at Joseph Papp Public Theater (often referred to […]
Posted on October 21, 2015 | No Comments“You don’t have to be Jewish to love Levy’s real Jewish rye,” was the slogan […]
Posted on October 20, 2015 | No CommentsEver since the Stonewall designation back in June, the push for designating LGBT sites around […]
Posted on October 19, 2015 | No CommentsOn this day, October 19, in 1950, the great poet Edna St. Vincent Millay died […]
Posted on October 16, 2015 | 1 CommentYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on October 15, 2015 | No CommentsGreenwich Village in the early 19th century had a varied mix of racial communities living […]