Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The Doors at the Fillmore East: Forty-six years ago on Saturday, the legendary rock band The Doors performed at the East Village's ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 14, 2016 | No CommentsSinger-songwriter Woody Guthrie was born on this day 104 years ago. Although he passed away […]
Posted on July 13, 2016 | 1 CommentJean-Michel Basquiat’s life and work are synonymous with the East Village/NoHo art scene of the […]
Posted on July 12, 2016 | No CommentsToday we’re celebrating the birthday of Veselka owner and GVSHP board member Tom Birchard. As […]
Posted on July 11, 2016 | No CommentsIn the late 19th and early 20th Century, the East Village and Lower East Side […]
Posted on July 8, 2016 | No CommentsHave you heard about the exciting progress on the restoration of the beautiful mosaic-covered lamp poles as […]
Posted on July 7, 2016 | No CommentsThis is part 3 in a series discussing the Village’s role in the development of […]
Posted on July 6, 2016 | No CommentsPart of my job at GVSHP as the Director of Research and Preservation is to […]
Posted on July 5, 2016 | 2 CommentsNew York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born […]
Posted on July 1, 2016 | 2 CommentsGreenwich Village, the East Village and NoHo offer a vast array of architectural styles that […]
Posted on June 30, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1936, David Kenneth Ritz “Dave” Van Ronk was born. Van Ronk was […]