Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 7, 2014 | No Comments“Yeah, yeah, yeah” – as the New York Times wrote in February 1964 – it […]
Posted on February 6, 2014 | No CommentsOK, Super Bowl has come and gone, the ground hog says six more weeks of […]
Posted on February 5, 2014 | 1 CommentThe structure that architectural historian Francis Morrone calls “one of the most important buildings in […]
Posted on February 4, 2014 | No CommentsOver the last several weeks GVSHP has been taking a look at the designation report […]
Posted on February 3, 2014 | 2 CommentsReaders of Off the Grid might notice that we often cite other blogs in our […]
Posted on January 31, 2014 | No CommentsOver the past several weeks, we’ve been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village […]
Posted on January 30, 2014 | No CommentsTompkins Square Library opened at 331 E. 10th Street, on the northern edge of Tompkins […]
Posted on January 29, 2014 | No CommentsThis past summer, Off the Grid posted a piece on Greenwich House, the community settlement […]
Posted on January 28, 2014 | 1 Comment“The artists.” Without a doubt, that response is the one I hear most often when […]
Posted on January 27, 2014 | 1 CommentNo, it’s not the name of a law firm. It’s the names of 3 of […]