Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on May 2, 2013 | No CommentsWarm, sunny days in the Village have us here at GVSHP looking forward to our...
Posted on May 1, 2013 | No CommentsThose following May Day protests today might be interested in learning about the day’s long...
Posted on April 30, 2013 | No CommentsA new application for storefront work at a gas station on the corner of Eighth...
Posted on April 29, 2013 | 3 CommentsLast November, we showed how — to our amazement — the City’s own “Community Profile”...
Posted on April 26, 2013 | 2 CommentsOp-Ed from The Villager newspaper, April 25, 2012 http://thevillager.com/2013/04/25/quinn-and-city-cant-omit-3-key-south-village-sites/ Quinn and City Must Not Omit...
Posted on April 25, 2013 | No CommentsCommon lore has it that the demolition of Penn Station fifty years ago was the...
Posted on April 24, 2013 | No CommentsIn just a week and a half, GVSHP will hold our 15th Annual Benefit House...
Posted on April 23, 2013 | No CommentsRichie Havens, the iconic singer and guitarist, passed away yesterday at the age of 72....
Posted on April 22, 2013 | 2 CommentsIt’s disappointing but hardly surprising — NYU destroying a small but important piece of the...
Posted on April 19, 2013 | 2 CommentsA familiar site to New Yorkers and visitors alike, the charming Washington Mews sits just...