Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Dog Day Anniversary: The wedding of John Wojtowicz and Ernest Aron (later Elizabeth Eden). Forty -four years ago today ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 16, 2015 | No Comments“I have lived on the Lower East Side for seventy years. And when I came […]
Posted on November 13, 2015 | 1 CommentBurial spaces serve a wide variety of purposes: religious, political, socioeconomic. For example, a graveyard […]
Posted on November 12, 2015 | 1 CommentOnce upon a time in Chelsea, New York, a young woman lived in an apartment […]
Posted on November 11, 2015 | No CommentsEveryone knows the iconic Macy’s flagship store on 34th Street and Broadway. But before moving […]
Posted on November 10, 2015 | No CommentsTwelve years ago tomorrow, GVSHP began an initiative to secure historic district designation for the […]
Posted on November 9, 2015 | No CommentsAs part of our continuing Landmarks50 celebration, and in honor of Stanford White’s birthday today […]
Posted on November 6, 2015 | 1 CommentWe continue the Landmarks50 celebration by taking a look at another individual landmark in our […]
Posted on November 5, 2015 | 1 CommentOn Monday, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation hosted a program on the oral […]
Posted on November 4, 2015 | No CommentsOn Monday evening, GVSHP presented a program at the Sixth Street Community Center with our […]
Posted on November 3, 2015 | No CommentsOn the morning of January 31, 1857 the body of Dr. Harvey Burdell was discovered […]