Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The Astor Place Riot: Recently we have been running a series in Off the Grid on the Village as ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 14, 2016 | 1 CommentOn this day in 1924, the architect Louis Sullivan, the “father of modernism,” key figure […]
Posted on April 13, 2016 | No CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on April 12, 2016 | 1 CommentOne hundred twenty-five years and ten days ago the artist Max Ernst was born. While […]
Posted on April 11, 2016 | 4 CommentsTomorrow marks the 115th anniversary of the New York State Legislature’s passage of the Tenement House Act of […]
Posted on April 8, 2016 | 3 CommentsFive years ago this Sunday GVSHP and other community and preservation groups held a Rally to […]
Posted on April 7, 2016 | 1 CommentThe Landmarks Preservation Commission recently released a new interactive map. The map shows all exterior, interior, […]
Posted on April 6, 2016 | 1 CommentThe last stop for trolley cars in New York City was this day, April 6th, […]
Posted on April 5, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1837, the City condemned a parcel of land between Christopher, Grove, […]
Posted on April 4, 2016 | 2 CommentsFive years ago we wrote about the terrible, deteriorating conditions at 43 MacDougal Street, a […]
Posted on April 1, 2016 | No CommentsWhile the Rocky Horror Picture Show premiered in London and Los Angeles in 1975, the […]