Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on August 2, 2012 | 1 CommentFifty years ago today, a group of concerned citizens protested in front of Pennsylvania Station,...
Posted on August 1, 2012 | No CommentsAmid the cast-iron facades of commercial and converted residential buildings between Broadway and University Place...
Posted on July 31, 2012 | No CommentsIt’s the dog days of summer here in New York City, so here at Off...
Posted on July 30, 2012 | 1 CommentGVSHP recently came across a great website called 1940s New York. In 1943, four local...
Posted on July 27, 2012 | No CommentsOn Wednesday the City Council voted 44-1 in favor of the NYU 2031 Plan. Since...
Posted on July 26, 2012 | No CommentsOne of the most frequent questions we get at GVSHP is where to find historic...
Posted on July 25, 2012 | No CommentsToday the City Council chose to ignore thousands of New Yorkers and by far the...
Posted on July 24, 2012 | 1 CommentFor a few months now, many of you have been following the proposal for a...
Posted on July 23, 2012 | No CommentsSimply put, adaptive reuse is defined as the process of adapting old structure for new...
Posted on July 20, 2012 | No CommentsAlthough NYU’s massive Village expansion plan was modestly reduced at this week’s City Council Land...