Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Unrecognizable: Former Village Institutions and what has taken their place: It’s no secret that the Village has changed. However, due to rising demand for real ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on September 1, 2016 | No CommentsWaverly Place and Mercer Street is just east of Washington Square Park. This unique part […]
Posted on August 31, 2016 | No CommentsOn August 31, 1928, Bertolt Brecht’s The Threepenny Opera premiered in Berlin.
Posted on August 30, 2016 | No CommentsIt’s “back to school” time again, when the temperatures drop (very slightly), students flood back […]
Posted on August 29, 2016 | No CommentsHappy Birthday to Romana Raffetto, owner of Raffetto’s Pasta located at 144 West Houston Street. […]
Posted on August 26, 2016 | No CommentsThis summer, the Museum of Ice Cream opened in Gansevoort Market, allowing visitors to swim in […]
Posted on August 25, 2016 | No CommentsRecently we have been running a series in Off the Grid on the Village as […]
Posted on August 24, 2016 | No CommentsAt 283 Bleecker Street, a charming green awning once announced the name of an equally […]
Posted on August 23, 2016 | No CommentsCharles Busch is the quintessential Villager. A prolific playwright and actor, he has lived in […]
Posted on August 22, 2016 | No CommentsThe wedding of John Wojtowicz and Ernest Aron (later Elizabeth Eden). Forty -four years […]
Posted on August 19, 2016 | No CommentsBelieve it or not, the Soho Playhouse is actually within the Charlton-King-Vandam Historic District, which […]