Browse By Neighborhood
- Alexander Hamilton and the Village: The hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding...
- When was my building built? and other tricky research questions: The New York Public Library, whose digital gallery we here at GVSHP turn to quite...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 6, 2015 | No CommentsPolice brutality, class warfare, gentrification — today these are hot button topics, both nationally and […]
Posted on August 5, 2015 | No CommentsThe Ashcan School refers to a loosely knit group of urban realist painters based in […]
Posted on August 4, 2015 | No CommentsAaron Hill, a dedicated Greenwich Village resident and New School Assistant Professor of Data Visualization, […]
Posted on August 3, 2015 | No CommentsIf you have ever noticed the beautiful row houses along MacDougal Street and Sullivan Street […]
Posted on July 31, 2015 | No CommentsHere at Off the Grid we are sad to report that we have lost a […]
Posted on July 30, 2015 | No CommentsEast Village activists were surprised to learn recently that the city’s Department of Buildings had […]
Posted on July 29, 2015 | No CommentsTwenty years ago today the movie ‘Kids’ was released. The film is about a day in the lives […]
Posted on July 28, 2015 | No CommentsToday marks what would have been Marcel Duchamp’s 128th Birthday. Duchamp was born in France […]
Posted on July 27, 2015 | No CommentsGreat Jones Street is located between Lafayette Street and the Bowery and is named for […]
Posted on July 24, 2015 | No CommentsDavid Bowie’s plastic soul-funk hit “Fame,” his first (and one of only two) American number one […]