Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Happy Birthday Marcel Duchamp!: Today marks what would have been Marcel Duchamp’s 128th Birthday. Duchamp was born in France...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 30, 2015 | No CommentsLast week’s landmark Supreme Court decision ruling that same-sex couples can marry nationwide occurred nearly […]
Posted on June 29, 2015 | No CommentsFollowing on some groundbreaking events last week – the LPC designation of the Stonewall Inn […]
Posted on June 26, 2015 | No CommentsThink about the neighborhood where you live, whether West Village or East, Astor Place or […]
Posted on June 25, 2015 | No CommentsOn Tuesday, June 23, The Stonewall Inn, the place where the modern lesbian, gay, bisexual, […]
Posted on June 24, 2015 | No CommentsThere are many reasons to celebrate the life of Eleanor Roosevelt, the longest-serving First Lady […]
Posted on June 22, 2015 | No CommentsOn the corner of 12th Street, the highly ornamented 817 Broadway is a visual treat. […]
Posted on June 19, 2015 | No CommentsIn June of 1969, a not uncommon police raid of the gay bar, the Stonewall […]
Posted on June 18, 2015 | No CommentsPerhaps the most well-known art movement associated with Greenwich Village is Abstract Expressionism (also known […]
Posted on June 17, 2015 | No CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on June 16, 2015 | No CommentsThis is the final post on the 2015 Village Awards. Previous posts highlighted Barbara Shaum, Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks, David […]