Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 29, 2014 | No CommentsLabor Day was created as a federal holiday in 1894, and according to the US […]
Posted on August 28, 2014 | No CommentsThe recent piece on PBS’ MetroFocus series about GVSHP’s book, Greenwich Village Stories (watch here) […]
Posted on August 27, 2014 | No CommentsGVSHP has always been concerned about the status of small businesses, whether they be […]
Posted on August 26, 2014 | 1 CommentNext Thursday evening GVSHP will present a program with photographer Richard Blair about his new […]
Posted on August 25, 2014 | No CommentsThis week we thought we’d take another look at sister tenements – designed by the […]
Posted on August 22, 2014 | No CommentsThese beautiful late summer days have got us thinking about sun and sky. Which has […]
Posted on August 21, 2014 | No CommentsHere at Off the Grid we were saddened to hear of the passing of Rebecca […]
Posted on August 20, 2014 | No CommentsIt was almost sixty years ago that, after changing the course of music forever, Charles […]
Posted on August 19, 2014 | No CommentsLast night, in the main gallery of the Salmagundi Club on 5th Avenue, GVSHP Executive […]
Posted on August 18, 2014 | 2 CommentsMuch has been said lately about the potential sale of 121 Charles Street in the […]