Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- From Parking Lot to Car Free Washington Square Park: Today is Earth Day, first celebrated in NYC in 1970, and you may notice some...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 16, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on March 15, 2016 | 1 CommentYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on March 14, 2016 | No CommentsHappy Pi Day! Every year on March 14th is the celebration of the mathematical constant […]
Posted on March 10, 2016 | 1 CommentThis Sunday, March 13th, is the three year anniversary of the NYC Council Land Use […]
Posted on March 10, 2016 | 1 CommentWhenever we see another ‘For Sale‘ sign in our neighborhoods, it is often the cause […]
Posted on March 9, 2016 | 2 CommentsThroughout the Village, we have seen houses built, and houses demolished. But sometimes, we see […]
Posted on March 8, 2016 | No Comments25 Bleecker Street is one of nine extant buildings originally constructed as Federal style row […]
Posted on March 7, 2016 | 3 CommentsThe great modern painter Piet Mondrian was born on this day, March 7th, in 1872. […]
Posted on March 4, 2016 | No CommentsI recently came across a book printed in 1894 by Thomas A. Janvier entitled In […]
Posted on March 3, 2016 | No CommentsGone but not forgotten, the Village is as much defined by what is above as […]