Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 12, 2016 | 1 CommentEarlier this week the NYU Furman Center, which studies real estate development and urban policies, […]
Posted on May 11, 2016 | No CommentsEighty years ago today, on May 11, 1936, the old Tredwell house on 4th Street […]
Posted on May 10, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally by Karen Loew The New York […]
Posted on May 9, 2016 | No CommentsYesterday we celebrated Mother’s Day. Today, we celebrate Julia Ward Howe. Julia Ward Howe was a true […]
Posted on May 6, 2016 | 1 CommentGreenwich Village, the East Village and NoHo offer a vast array of architectural styles that […]
Posted on May 5, 2016 | No CommentsYesterday was Jane Jacobs’ 100th birthday, an event marked and celebrated throughout the world. Here […]
Posted on May 4, 2016 | No CommentsNot long ago, in theaters far, far away (and near too), a movie came out that […]
Posted on May 3, 2016 | No CommentsIn 1955 the Committee to Save Washington Square Park was distributing flyers to alert the […]
Posted on April 29, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally written by Drew Durniak Map […]
Posted on April 28, 2016 | 2 CommentsGreenwich Village, the East Village and NoHo offer a vast array of architectural styles that […]