Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 10, 2017 | No CommentsShow your love for community centers and spaces for a powerful and quick event next […]
Posted on February 9, 2017 | No CommentsFebruary is Black History Month. We here at GVSHP are celebrating it by highlighting different sites […]
Posted on February 8, 2017 | 1 Comment41 years ago today, New York City was a much different place than it is today. […]
Posted on February 7, 2017 | No CommentsThis week, James Baldwin, one-time resident of Greenwich Village, returns to his old neighborhood — […]
Posted on February 6, 2017 | No CommentsIn this series, ‘More is More,’ we look at extensions of historic districts in our area. […]
Posted on February 2, 2017 | 1 CommentThe Cornelia Street Cafe which opened its doors in July 1977 needs your help. In 1998, […]
Posted on February 1, 2017 | 1 CommentEdward I. Koch served as Mayor of New York City from 1978 to 1989, following […]
Posted on January 31, 2017 | 1 CommentHave you heard that chant, or others like it, echoing off Greenwich Village buildings recently? […]
Posted on January 30, 2017 | No CommentsTen years ago today, the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held hearings on three federal-era […]