Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 11, 2016 | No CommentsTomorrow marks the 115th anniversary of the New York State Legislature’s passage of the Tenement House Act of […]
Posted on April 8, 2016 | No CommentsFive years ago this Sunday GVSHP and other community and preservation groups held a Rally to […]
Posted on April 7, 2016 | 1 CommentThe Landmarks Preservation Commission recently released a new interactive map. The map shows all exterior, interior, […]
Posted on April 6, 2016 | 1 CommentThe last stop for trolley cars in New York City was this day, April 6th, […]
Posted on April 5, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1837, the City condemned a parcel of land between Christopher, Grove, […]
Posted on April 4, 2016 | 1 CommentFive years ago we wrote about the terrible, deteriorating conditions at 43 MacDougal Street, a […]
Posted on April 1, 2016 | No CommentsWhile the Rocky Horror Picture Show premiered in London and Los Angeles in 1975, the […]
Posted on March 31, 2016 | No CommentsIf you are one of the over 100,000 people a day that make your way through […]
Posted on March 30, 2016 | No CommentsWe recently published a detailed report of the Federal style houses which GVSHP has helped […]
Posted on March 29, 2016 | 1 CommentFive hundred years ago today, on March 29, 1516, the Venice Ghetto was established by […]