Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 5, 2014 | 1 CommentThe Village is quiet today, as if enjoying a lull after the storm of elections. […]
Posted on November 4, 2014 | No CommentsAfter a nearly half-century wait, last week the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission finally […]
Posted on November 3, 2014 | No CommentsThe tenement at 342 East 11th Street has quite an attractive façade, for those who […]
Posted on October 31, 2014 | No CommentsVeselka, an East Village institution, is celebrating its 60th anniversary and invites the community for […]
Posted on October 30, 2014 | No Comments(This post is the first of a series on the history of the LGBTQ community […]
Posted on October 29, 2014 | No CommentsEarlier this month the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) approved a revised design for a new […]
Posted on October 28, 2014 | No CommentsThere are some people who can make great changes, come up with unique and far-reaching […]
Posted on October 27, 2014 | No CommentsThis October, GVSHP is presenting a course that explores historic preservation by examining changing styles […]
Posted on October 24, 2014 | No CommentsGVSHP will officially unveil a new historic plaque at the former Fillmore East at 105 […]