Browse By Neighborhood
- What’s That Orange Netting On My Neighbor’s Rooftop?: Every so often we get a call or an email here at GVSHP asking about...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Map It! Finding the Lost Stuyvesant Alley: Recently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists....
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 4, 2014 | No CommentsRecently, Off the Grid has spotlighted a number of blogs that we like to read […]
Posted on June 3, 2014 | No CommentsIn the old Italian South Village, St. Anthony of Padua church stands on the corner […]
Posted on June 2, 2014 | No CommentsThe 1960′s was a turbulent decade marked by numerous notable murders, assassinations, and attempted assassinations […]
Posted on May 30, 2014 | No CommentsIt’s not that often that we here at Off the Grid report on happenings on […]
Posted on May 29, 2014 | No CommentsBrowsing the merchandise at New York Central Art Supply can be a little intimidating for […]
Posted on May 28, 2014 | No CommentsIn continuation of our Landmarking 101 series, today we’re focusing on active violations on a […]
Posted on May 27, 2014 | No CommentsLately Pier 40 has been in the news due to the controversial possibility of air […]
Posted on May 23, 2014 | No CommentsIt’s that time of year again! Every June, as part of GVSHP’s Annual Meeting, we […]
Posted on May 22, 2014 | No CommentsIn 1973, what was once one of the largest and most elegant hotels in the […]
Posted on May 21, 2014 | No CommentsToday’s New York City sets population records in at least two ways: We have more […]