Browse By Neighborhood
- University Village/Silver Towers – Urban Design that Stands the Test of Time: Greenwich Village is home to what is considered by many one of the finest examples...
- Italians of the South Village: Eight years ago today, on October 8, 2007, GVSHP published the report, “The Italians of...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- High Line, Part 3: Congratulations to our friends at The High Line! The third and final section of the...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 14, 2015 | 2 CommentsYour input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and […]
Posted on August 13, 2015 | No CommentsHere at Off the Grid we are primarily concerned with Greenwich Village, the East Village, […]
Posted on August 12, 2015 | 1 CommentThe hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding […]
Posted on August 11, 2015 | 1 CommentThirty-four years ago today, on August 11, 1981, the interior first floor of the Ottendorfer […]
Posted on August 10, 2015 | No CommentsOn this day, 45 years ago, the famous McSorley’s Old Ale House at 15 East […]
Posted on August 7, 2015 | No CommentsForty-eight years ago today, on August 7th, 1967, the J.M. Kaplan Fund and the newly-constituted […]
Posted on August 6, 2015 | No CommentsPolice brutality, class warfare, gentrification — today these are hot button topics, both nationally and […]
Posted on August 5, 2015 | No CommentsThe Ashcan School refers to a loosely knit group of urban realist painters based in […]
Posted on August 4, 2015 | No CommentsAaron Hill, a dedicated Greenwich Village resident and New School Assistant Professor of Data Visualization, […]
Posted on August 3, 2015 | No CommentsIf you have ever noticed the beautiful row houses along MacDougal Street and Sullivan Street […]