Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 4, 2016 | No CommentsI recently came across a book printed in 1894 by Thomas A. Janvier entitled In […]
Posted on March 3, 2016 | No CommentsGone but not forgotten, the Village is as much defined by what is above as […]
Posted on March 2, 2016 | No CommentsIt may not technically be spring just yet, but the spring semester for GVSHP’s Children’s […]
Posted on March 1, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on February 29, 2016 | No CommentsHarry Bubbins joins us today as GVSHP’s new East Village and Special Projects Director. I […]
Posted on February 26, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on February 25, 2016 | No Comments“Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” For almost everyone in the workforce this […]
Posted on February 24, 2016 | 1 CommentEver wonder what is going on with the construction of the landmarked building next door, […]
On this Day: Washington Square Village Found Eligible for State and National Registers of Historic PlacesPosted on February 23, 2016 | No CommentsOn this date in 2011, the New York State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), presented a […]
Posted on February 22, 2016 | No CommentsGeorge Washington was born on February 22nd, and his birthday was unofficially celebrated by Americans […]