Browse By Neighborhood
- Alexander Hamilton and the Village: The hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding...
- When was my building built? and other tricky research questions: The New York Public Library, whose digital gallery we here at GVSHP turn to quite...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 10, 2015 | No CommentsStonewall was designated an individual landmark on June 30, 2015. Since then, people have asked […]
Posted on July 9, 2015 | 2 CommentsNearly two hundred years ago today, on July 9th, 1819, Rose Butler was executed in […]
Posted on July 8, 2015 | No CommentsLong-time Off the Grid readers will remember the stir that was caused last summer when […]
Posted on July 7, 2015 | No CommentsCinema Village, located at 22 East 12th Street, is the oldest continuously operated cinema in […]
Posted on July 6, 2015 | No CommentsAlthough the summer months mean vacation time for some people, here at GVSHP, we don’t […]
Posted on July 2, 2015 | 1 CommentMany people know the restaurant Bagatelle located at 1 Little West 12th Street for their lavish brunch […]
Posted on July 1, 2015 | No CommentsHistorically, the Village and East Village have always been the place for artists, writers, performers, […]
Posted on June 30, 2015 | No CommentsLast week’s landmark Supreme Court decision ruling that same-sex couples can marry nationwide occurred nearly […]
Posted on June 29, 2015 | No CommentsFollowing on some groundbreaking events last week – the LPC designation of the Stonewall Inn […]
Posted on June 26, 2015 | No CommentsThink about the neighborhood where you live, whether West Village or East, Astor Place or […]