Browse By Neighborhood
- What’s That Orange Netting On My Neighbor’s Rooftop?: Every so often we get a call or an email here at GVSHP asking about...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Map It! Finding the Lost Stuyvesant Alley: Recently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists....
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 23, 2014 | No CommentsIt’s that time of year again! Every June, as part of GVSHP’s Annual Meeting, we […]
Posted on May 22, 2014 | No CommentsIn 1973, what was once one of the largest and most elegant hotels in the […]
Posted on May 21, 2014 | No CommentsToday’s New York City sets population records in at least two ways: We have more […]
Posted on May 20, 2014 | 1 CommentLast week we shared one tip on how to find out if your building is […]
Posted on May 19, 2014 | No CommentsThis past fall, GVSHP launched a new oral history project. This ongoing project was developed […]
Posted on May 16, 2014 | 1 CommentAs Mayor De Blasio slowly fills the many leadership positions in a mammoth city government, […]
Posted on May 15, 2014 | No CommentsOne of the questions we’re asked every so often here at GVSHP is whether or […]
Posted on May 14, 2014 | No CommentsThis week and next mark two pretty important punk rock birthdays. The two celebrants straddle […]
Posted on May 13, 2014 | No CommentsThis is part of the Looking Up series of posts, which explore the unique architectural […]
Posted on May 12, 2014 | No CommentsWe’ve been reviewing some of the blogs that we here at Off the Grid like […]