Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 22, 2014 | No CommentsThe produce spilling out into the street and the haphazard awnings in the above 1925 […]
Posted on October 21, 2014 | No CommentsLast week’s news that the First Department Panel of the Appellate Division struck down Supreme […]
Posted on October 20, 2014 | No CommentsToday on “A Tale of Two” I actually have three tenements to share and compare. […]
Posted on October 17, 2014 | No CommentsOne-third of South Village still not landmarked Op-Ed BY ANDREW BERMAN, Executive Director, Greenwich […]
Posted on October 16, 2014 | 1 CommentHave you ever walked by an unattractive building and thought – or maybe heard […]
Posted on October 15, 2014 | 1 CommentBy the turn of the twentieth century it is estimated that almost 75,000 horses and […]
Posted on October 14, 2014 | No CommentsLast night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of […]
Posted on October 10, 2014 | No CommentsMany Gotham dwellers just about have their spirit broken from all the eclectic, only-in-New-York kinds […]
Posted on October 9, 2014 | No CommentsAs you may have heard, we have a big anniversary coming up! And not one […]
Posted on October 8, 2014 | No CommentsWorking in historic preservation, you know that you win some and you lose some. The […]