Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Business of the Month: Casa Adela, 66 Avenue C: Your input is needed! Today we feature our latest Business of the Month — and...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 29, 2016 | 1 CommentFive hundred years ago today, on March 29, 1516, the Venice Ghetto was established by […]
Posted on March 28, 2016 | No CommentsThe Monday following Easter is known to Ukrainians as Dyngus Day, and many Ukrainian American […]
Posted on March 25, 2016 | No CommentsTomorrow will mark one year since the tragic gas explosion on Second Avenue and 7th […]
Posted on March 24, 2016 | No CommentsForty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album […]
Posted on March 23, 2016 | No CommentsThe first theatrical presentation at the Cherry Lane Playhouse (now the Cherry Lane Theatre) opened […]
Posted on March 22, 2016 | No CommentsThis has to be the most frequently asked question that we get regarding landmarked properties. […]
Posted on March 21, 2016 | No CommentsFour years ago today, the South Village was named to the Preservation League of New York […]
Posted on March 18, 2016 | No CommentsJane Jacobs, who once lived on Hudson Street in the West Village, wrote the book, […]
Posted on March 16, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]