Browse By Neighborhood
- Community Cornerstones: Penny Jones & Co. Puppets: We here at Off the Grid have often explored the history of the artists' residence...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 33 MacDougal Alley, the Lost Studio of Isamu Noguchi: MacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 10, 2013 | No CommentsIt’s been eleven years since the sad saga began at the Annie Leibowitz properties in […]
Posted on October 9, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day one year ago, the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission officially designated the East […]
Posted on October 8, 2013 | No CommentsYou don’t have to live in the Village to celebrate the birthday of John Lennon, […]
Posted on October 7, 2013 | No CommentsOn Wednesday, GVSHP will be celebrating the 14th Birthday of the Neighborhood Preservation Center, the […]
Posted on October 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsBreakfast at Tiffany’s, one of the defining movies of the 1960′s — and defining movies […]
Posted on October 3, 2013 | No CommentsIt’s been just under four years since the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated as an individual […]
Posted on October 1, 2013 | No CommentsOn October 1, 1998, Charlie Zito passed away after years of baking bread on Bleecker […]
Posted on September 27, 2013 | 1 CommentLast month we featured the drawings of Anthony F. Dumas, a man who was responsible […]
Posted on September 26, 2013 | 5 CommentsLast week’s announcement in The Villager confirming The Village Voice’s move from its offices […]