Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 25, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid’s series in which we highlight the […]
Posted on March 24, 2014 | No CommentsTomorrow marks the 103rd anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, the 1911 disaster that […]
Posted on March 21, 2014 | No CommentsForty-six years ago on Saturday, the legendary rock band The Doors performed at the East Village’s […]
Posted on March 20, 2014 | No CommentsThis is part of the Looking Up series of posts, which explore the unique architectural […]
Posted on March 19, 2014 | 1 CommentFor today’s post in our Then & Now series, we thought we’d feature a few […]
Posted on March 18, 2014 | No CommentsBob Holman has been making poetry downtown for over 25 years. Among his many endeavors, […]
Posted on March 17, 2014 | 1 CommentIt seems that on St. Patrick’s Day, everyone is Irish or of Irish descent. The […]
Posted on March 14, 2014 | No CommentsToday a the new exhibition Facades will open at the New-York Historical Society. The exhibition […]
Posted on March 13, 2014 | 3 CommentsFifty years ago, on March 13th, 1964, Kitty Genovese was brutally raped and murdered in […]
Posted on March 12, 2014 | 3 CommentsIt seems like everyone supports small business — it’s as American as Mom and apple […]