Browse By Neighborhood
- Memphis on the Hudson: We look at historic buildings and documents a lot here on Off the Grid. Many...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Happy Birthday Electric Lady Studios…: ...what a long, strange trip it's been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, an...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 20, 2012 | No CommentsAlthough NYU’s massive Village expansion plan was modestly reduced at this week’s City Council Land […]
Posted on July 19, 2012 | No CommentsThe Atlantic Cities featured an article called “A Brief History of NYU Land Battles” on […]
Posted on July 18, 2012 | No CommentsIn light of demolition plans that GVSHP uncovered for the Federal row house at 186 […]
Posted on July 17, 2012 | 1 CommentIn 2008 NYU planned to demolish the Provincetown Playhouse to make way for a new […]
Posted on July 16, 2012 | No CommentsIt’s no secret that preservationists often turn to maps for inspiration and research, but it […]
Posted on July 13, 2012 | 1 CommentAs Off the Grid chronicled last year, today is the anniversary of New York City’s […]
Posted on July 12, 2012 | No CommentsSt. Anthony of Padua Church has stood on Sullivan Street in the South Village since […]
Posted on July 11, 2012 | No CommentsTomorrow, July 12th, marks a big day for landmark review in the East Village. That’s […]
Posted on July 10, 2012 | 3 CommentsThe New School recently “topped out” its new “University Center” at 65 Fifth Avenue at […]
Posted on July 9, 2012 | 2 CommentsWith all the recent buzz surrounding the newly reopened McCarren Park Pool, we started thinking […]