Browse By Neighborhood
- Community Cornerstones: Penny Jones & Co. Puppets: We here at Off the Grid have often explored the history of the artists' residence...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 33 MacDougal Alley, the Lost Studio of Isamu Noguchi: MacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 9, 2011 | No CommentsGothamist goes inside the vault at Pfaff’s, the 19th century beer cellar turned cocktail loungs….and […]
Posted on November 9, 2011 | No CommentsDemolition permits on file for historic 316 East 3rd Street (EV Grieve) New York’s most […]
Posted on November 9, 2011 | No Commentsimage courtesy of Bob Estremera On the market: a loft/antique store hybrid and St. Vincent’s […]
Posted on November 9, 2011 | 1 CommentLast month we all cheered when it was announced that the Bowery Historic District was […]
Posted on November 8, 2011 | 7 CommentsIf you’re like me and grew up around Eastern-European family, you know that it’s pronounced […]
Posted on November 7, 2011 | No CommentsAs GVSHP gears up for our benefit evening Much Ado About Noshing this evening with […]
Posted on November 5, 2011 | No CommentsLooking back at Gansevoort Plaza (Forgotten NY) MTA misspells “Bleecker Street” (Gothamist) Greenwich Village duplex […]
Posted on November 5, 2011 | No CommentsCooper Union may charge tuition (NY Times) Villa Capri condos coming to Avenue C (Curbed) […]
Posted on November 4, 2011 | No CommentsWith GVSHP’s office located on the corner of 2nd Avenue and East 11th Street, staff […]
Posted on November 3, 2011 | No CommentsIt’s fall, 1967. A one-ton steel cube is dropped by the Lindsay administration into the […]