Browse By Neighborhood
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204 Today!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most...
- King’s Assassination Began Fifteen Year Quest for a National Holiday: Forty-five years ago today, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 4, 2013 | No CommentsForty-five years ago today, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on the […]
Posted on April 3, 2013 | 2 CommentsGVSHP is proud to be working with PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and […]
Posted on April 2, 2013 | 1 CommentThe Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation is gearing up for our 15th Annual Village […]
Posted on April 1, 2013 | No CommentsFor most, lower Fifth Avenue conjures up images of grand early to mid-20th century apartment […]
Posted on March 28, 2013 | 1 CommentIt was forty five years ago this month that Bill Graham opened the Fillmore East […]
Posted on March 27, 2013 | No CommentsLast week we received written confirmation from the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) that they intend […]
Posted on March 26, 2013 | 2 CommentsMarch is Women’s History Month; the month-long celebration highlights the accomplishments of women in various […]
Posted on March 25, 2013 | No CommentsOne hundred and two years ago today, at approximately 4:40 PM, a fire broke out […]
Posted on March 22, 2013 | No CommentsSince 1991, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation has presented awards to members of […]
Posted on March 21, 2013 | 2 CommentsOn the corner of Broadway and Astor Place stands one of my favorite things: the […]