Browse By Neighborhood
- A New Plan to Preserve the Small Businesses We Love and Need: Think about the neighborhood where you live, whether West Village or East, Astor Place or...
- When was my building built? and other tricky research questions: The New York Public Library, whose digital gallery we here at GVSHP turn to quite...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 13, 2013 | 1 CommentToday, we’d like to extend a “Happy Fifth ‘Landmark’ Birthday” to the NoHo Historic District […]
Posted on May 10, 2013 | 1 CommentAfter 60 years, Joe’s Dairy, a small South Village institution specializing in fresh mozzarella (plain, […]
Posted on May 9, 2013 | 1 CommentI am not a native New Yorker, but as a long-time (now former) resident of […]
Posted on May 8, 2013 | 1 CommentHow time flies – five years ago last March, the former East Eleventh Street Baths […]
Posted on May 6, 2013 | No CommentsYesterday’s benefit house tour was a tremendous success. The weather was crisp, clear, and beautiful, […]
Posted on May 3, 2013 | No CommentsIf you’re ever strolling along Sixth Avenue near the West 4th Street subway station – […]
Posted on May 2, 2013 | No CommentsWarm, sunny days in the Village have us here at GVSHP looking forward to our […]
Posted on May 1, 2013 | No CommentsThose following May Day protests today might be interested in learning about the day’s long […]
Posted on April 30, 2013 | No CommentsA new application for storefront work at a gas station on the corner of Eighth […]
Posted on April 29, 2013 | 3 CommentsLast November, we showed how — to our amazement — the City’s own “Community Profile” […]