Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Happy Birthday Marcel Duchamp!: Today marks what would have been Marcel Duchamp’s 128th Birthday. Duchamp was born in France...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 10, 2013 | 1 CommentYou don’t often hear “NYU” and “award” in the same sentence (at least not when […]
Posted on June 7, 2013 | 1 CommentIf you have ever spent time in the area where Bleecker Street meets Sixth Avenue, […]
Posted on June 6, 2013 | No CommentsThe Bowery Alliance of Neighbors (BAN), a grassroots organization, has been a passionate force within […]
Posted on June 5, 2013 | No CommentsForty-five years ago today, on June 5, 1968, Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated at the […]
Posted on June 4, 2013 | No CommentsThirty two years ago tomorrow the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published its […]
Posted on June 3, 2013 | 2 CommentsSince 1885, a drug store has stood at the corner of 2nd Avenue and 6th […]
Posted on May 31, 2013 | No CommentsIn the East Village, community gardens began growing when neighborhood activists threw “seed-bombs” into empty, […]
Posted on May 30, 2013 | No CommentsMost of us have just celebrated the unofficial beginning of summer with the Memorial Day […]
Posted on May 29, 2013 | No CommentsMills House Number 1 at 160 Bleecker Street (at Thompson Street) in the South Village was […]
Posted on May 28, 2013 | 8 CommentsLast week, as part of our Map It! series, we featured the long-forgotten Minetta Place, […]