Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 25, 2012 | No CommentsToday the City Council chose to ignore thousands of New Yorkers and by far the […]
Posted on July 24, 2012 | 1 CommentFor a few months now, many of you have been following the proposal for a […]
Posted on July 23, 2012 | No CommentsSimply put, adaptive reuse is defined as the process of adapting old structure for new […]
Posted on July 20, 2012 | No CommentsAlthough NYU’s massive Village expansion plan was modestly reduced at this week’s City Council Land […]
Posted on July 19, 2012 | No CommentsThe Atlantic Cities featured an article called “A Brief History of NYU Land Battles” on […]
Posted on July 18, 2012 | No CommentsIn light of demolition plans that GVSHP uncovered for the Federal row house at 186 […]
Posted on July 17, 2012 | 1 CommentIn 2008 NYU planned to demolish the Provincetown Playhouse to make way for a new […]
Posted on July 16, 2012 | No CommentsIt’s no secret that preservationists often turn to maps for inspiration and research, but it […]
Posted on July 13, 2012 | 1 CommentAs Off the Grid chronicled last year, today is the anniversary of New York City’s […]
Posted on July 12, 2012 | No CommentsSt. Anthony of Padua Church has stood on Sullivan Street in the South Village since […]