Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The First Landmarks Preservation Commission Hearing, September 21, 1965: Fifty-one years ago today, on September 21, 1965, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held its ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 1, 2014 | No CommentsA recent report about a possible five-story expansion atop a century-old building has inspired us […]
Posted on July 31, 2014 | 1 CommentWith the summer breeze , a stop along the Greenwich Village waterfront to reminisce about […]
Posted on July 30, 2014 | No CommentsThe view above looking west on West 12th Street from Eighth Avenue taken in 1929 […]
Posted on July 29, 2014 | No CommentsWith all the talk about immigration reform in the news lately, it got us thinking […]
Posted on July 28, 2014 | No CommentsNext Tuesday, GVSHP will present a panel discussion entitled, “Historic Preservation, Meet Restaurant Preservation.” GVSHP’s […]
Posted on July 25, 2014 | No CommentsThe “Gilded Age” in New York City – roughly 1870 through 1900 – gets something […]
Posted on July 24, 2014 | 1 CommentSeven years ago today, on July 24th, 2007, two very lucky federal rowhouse survivors on […]
Posted on July 23, 2014 | 1 CommentWe look at historic buildings and documents a lot here on Off the Grid. Many […]
Posted on July 22, 2014 | 1 CommentThe freestanding house at 121 Charles Street has been in the limelight the last few […]
Posted on July 21, 2014 | No CommentsOK World Cup is over, so now the spotlight is on baseball. It always bothers […]