Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The End of the West Washington Market: On this day in 1954, the West Washington Market, which stood on the west side ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 4, 2015 | No CommentsThis week was the 98th Anniversary of the Jones-Shefroth Act, which took effect on March […]
Posted on March 3, 2015 | No CommentsIt was on March 3, 1967, that Ingrid and Sven Bernhard purchased the lot at […]
Posted on March 2, 2015 | No CommentsFamed Rock n Roll legend and Greenwich Village icon, Lou Reed, would have turned 73 […]
Posted on February 26, 2015 | 1 CommentI have often noticed these old drinking fountains on historic buildings – there is one […]
Posted on February 25, 2015 | No CommentsLike many fans, we at Off the Grid were heartbroken when it really happened, after […]
Posted on February 24, 2015 | 1 CommentYour input is needed! Today we feature our fourth “Business of the Month” — and we […]
Posted on February 23, 2015 | No CommentsThree years ago today, GVSHP and the Village won an important early victory in the […]
Posted on February 20, 2015 | No CommentsWe have been busy here at GVSHP! We started the year with a program by […]
Posted on February 19, 2015 | No CommentsToday we’d like to wish 203 Prince Street a happy “landmark” birthday. On this day […]
Posted on February 18, 2015 | 1 Comment18 years ago, GVSHP had the privilege of recording an oral history interview with early […]