Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- LGBT History: Not Just West Village Bars: Here at GVSHP we are excited about our recently launched Village Civil Rights & Social ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 20, 2014 | 1 CommentSometimes the riches of what’s given away for free in New York City can feel […]
Posted on November 19, 2014 | No CommentsAs part of GVSHP’s ongoing programming, native New Yorker and world renowned artist Frederick Brosen […]
Posted on November 18, 2014 | 1 CommentAn early twentieth-century song entitled ‘The Greenwich Village Epic’ declares: ‘Fairyland’s not far from Washington […]
Posted on November 17, 2014 | 3 CommentsToday we were all hit with the surprise news that a $130 million contribution from […]
Posted on November 14, 2014 | No CommentsCan you identify the image in the photo above? On Monday evening, November 17th, we’ll […]
Posted on November 13, 2014 | No CommentsYour input is needed! Today we kick off our new “Business of the Month” feature […]
Posted on November 12, 2014 | No CommentsTonight at the Hudson Park Library at 6:30pm, lesbian activist, independent journalist and East Village […]
Posted on November 11, 2014 | No CommentsOff the Grid has explored the many memorials in the Village dedicated to those who […]
Posted on November 10, 2014 | 3 CommentsBy now, many of you have heard about the controversy over the little house at […]
Posted on November 7, 2014 | No CommentsTomorrow marks forty-two years since the release of Lou Reed’s classic paean to downtown New […]