Browse By Neighborhood
- Alexander Hamilton and the Village: The hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding...
- Save the Village!: That’s the name of Tim McDarrah’s new walking tours. The tours are based on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 9, 2013 | 4 CommentsOn this day, July 9th, back in 1962, Bob Dylan recorded his song, “Blowin’ in […]
Posted on July 8, 2013 | No CommentsIt may be the dog days of summer, but tomorrow the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) […]
Posted on July 5, 2013 | No CommentsSchool may be out for the summer, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take time […]
Posted on July 3, 2013 | 1 CommentOn the corner of Avenue B and East 8th Street is the former Tompkins Square […]
Posted on July 2, 2013 | No CommentsOn the last Sunday of June, since 1970, the New York City LGBT community has […]
Posted on July 1, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this particularly rainy Monday, an image of Gene Kelly singin’ and dancin’ in the […]
Posted on June 28, 2013 | 3 CommentsOn Avenue C between 9th and 10th Streets sits a small, unassuming two-story garage. Chances […]
Posted on June 27, 2013 | No CommentsOn Monday evening I attended the Jefferson Market Garden Friends’ Annual Garden Party. If you […]
Posted on June 26, 2013 | No CommentsYesterday the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held its only public hearing on “phase II” of […]
Posted on June 25, 2013 | No CommentsToday, the Landmarks Preservation Commission will be holding a public hearing on the proposed South […]