Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- 57 Sullivan Street — A Landmark Designation Long Overdue: As one of the oldest surviving houses in Manhattan, 57 Sullivan Street has born witness...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 17, 2013 | No CommentsWe’re excited to share that the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) voted today to landmark […]
Posted on December 16, 2013 | No CommentsHere we are in the midst of the holiday season. The city was blanketed with […]
Posted on December 13, 2013 | 1 CommentThirty eight years ago today, Patti Smith’s album ‘Horses’ was released. Simply put, music was […]
Posted on December 12, 2013 | No CommentsOn Tuesday evening, GVSHP presented a program with architect, preservationist, and author Françoise Bollack about […]
Posted on December 11, 2013 | No CommentsThis is the first in the Looking Up series of posts, which will explore the […]
Posted on December 10, 2013 | No CommentsDawn Powell lived in Greenwich Village and wrote about it as well as or better […]
Posted on December 9, 2013 | 1 CommentLast week, all eyes were on Rockefeller Center for the lighting of that famous Christmas […]
Posted on December 6, 2013 | No CommentsBack in October, GVSHP worked with our friends and neighbors at GrowNYC, Abingdon Square Conservancy, […]
Posted on December 5, 2013 | 3 CommentsThey may not necessarily be a basis for landmark designation, but it’s always nice when […]
Posted on December 4, 2013 | 3 CommentsSome surprising good news today about the growth of chain stores in the Village, East […]