Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 1, 2014 | No CommentsWelcome to the inaugural post in our Throwback Thursday series where we will share some […]
Posted on April 30, 2014 | 1 CommentPenny Arcade has been living the bohemian life in New York City, and making art […]
Posted on April 29, 2014 | No CommentsForty-five years ago today, mayor John Lindsay was still smarting from the botched cleanup of […]
Posted on April 28, 2014 | 2 CommentsWarm, sunny days in the Village have us here at GVSHP looking forward to our […]
Posted on April 25, 2014 | 2 CommentsOne of the many tools historic preservationists use in their work is historic images. They […]
Posted on April 24, 2014 | 3 CommentsIn this day and age, information about nearly any topic is at our fingertips. A […]
Posted on April 23, 2014 | No CommentsToday marks William Shakespeare’s 450th birthday, although some sources say his exact date of birth […]
Posted on April 22, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the people, […]
Posted on April 21, 2014 | 1 CommentOn April 22, 1831, the City of New York acquired the land that is now […]
Posted on April 18, 2014 | No CommentsApril 18 and 19 mark two incredibly important Far West Village preservation anniversaries — each […]