Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 15, 2012 | No CommentsWalking west along Charles Street, it is hard to imagine that the area bounded by […]
Posted on February 14, 2012 | No CommentsCalling all procrastinators! It’s not too late to buy your special someone a tasty chocolate […]
Posted on February 13, 2012 | 1 CommentStanding where Broadway begins its curve to the west at 10th Street, the landmarked Grace […]
Posted on February 10, 2012 | No CommentsIf you’ve taken a trip to the new Cooper Union building or gone for a […]
Posted on February 9, 2012 | 1 CommentHave you ever come across a peculiar street pattern in the city and wondered how […]
Posted on February 8, 2012 | 4 CommentsPigeons shake their wings on the copper church roof out my window across the […]
Posted on February 7, 2012 | No CommentsFebruary may be the shortest month, but that does not mean that there is any […]
Posted on February 6, 2012 | 1 CommentA recent inquiry by a researcher looking to document the emerging folk scene in the […]
Posted on February 3, 2012 | No CommentsBetween the 2nd and 3rd stories of this handsome building at 310-312 East 11th, between […]
Posted on February 2, 2012 | No CommentsOn this day in 1979, Sex Pistols punk rocker Sid Vicious was found dead of […]