Browse By Neighborhood
- What’s That Orange Netting On My Neighbor’s Rooftop?: Every so often we get a call or an email here at GVSHP asking about...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Map It! Finding the Lost Stuyvesant Alley: Recently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists....
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 24, 2012 | 1 CommentIt is hard to imagine East 10th and Stuyvesant Streets today without thinking about neighborhood […]
Posted on May 23, 2012 | 2 CommentsAs part of its massive proposed Village expansion plan, NYU is seeking to build 2.5 […]
Posted on May 22, 2012 | No CommentsWe’re thrilled to announce that last week the Landmarks Preservation Commission unanimously voted to confer […]
Posted on May 21, 2012 | 1 Comment“On Saturdays when I did not have to lecture, we used to visit the saloon […]
Posted on May 18, 2012 | No CommentsNo, it’s not about recycling and no, it’s not a list of past dates. It’s […]
Posted on May 17, 2012 | 2 CommentsWalking near Jackson Square in the West Village, you may have wondered what will become […]
Posted on May 16, 2012 | No CommentsThis weekend, the New York Landmarks Conservancy is again organizing the state-wide Sacred Sites Open […]
Posted on May 15, 2012 | No CommentsRecently, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and American Express announced 40 preservation projects in […]
Posted on May 14, 2012 | No CommentsNYU’s massive, out-of-scale plan to construct 2 million square feet of new buildings within the […]
Posted on May 11, 2012 | 3 CommentsOn Thursday, June 7th, eight Village businesses, people, and institutions will be presented a Village […]