Browse By Neighborhood
- Memphis on the Hudson: We look at historic buildings and documents a lot here on Off the Grid. Many...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Happy Birthday Electric Lady Studios…: ...what a long, strange trip it's been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, an...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 7, 2012 | 1 CommentAt a time when over-development is an ever-present threat in our Village neighborhoods, City Councilmember […]
Posted on June 6, 2012 | 1 CommentCompleted in the spring of this year, the spectacular renovation of the small park at […]
Posted on June 5, 2012 | 1 CommentFourth generation Lower East Side resident Eric Ferrara has always been interested in the history […]
Posted on June 4, 2012 | 3 CommentsArturo’s, best known for its delicious coal-oven pizza, first opened on MacDougal Street in 1957 […]
Posted on June 1, 2012 | No CommentsFoods of New York Tours was unofficially launched in 1998 by Todd Lefkovic, a New […]
Developer Seeks Variances from Board of Standards and Appeals for Rooftop Additions at 329-335 East 9th StreetPosted on May 31, 2012 | 2 CommentsOn June 5 the Board of Standards and Appeals will hold a hearing for variances […]
Posted on May 30, 2012 | No CommentsEducator, psychologist, and reformer Elisabeth Irwin founded the Little Red School House, an experimental curriculum […]
Posted on May 29, 2012 | No CommentsThe many community gardens of New York City were developed as the City tore down […]
Posted on May 27, 2012 | No CommentsThis year marks the 25th Anniversary of the Loisaida Festival, a celebration of Latino culture, […]
Posted on May 25, 2012 | 2 CommentsFor all you Mad Men fans, Howard Johnson’s is probably fresh on your mind. And […]