Browse By Neighborhood
- Memphis on the Hudson: We look at historic buildings and documents a lot here on Off the Grid. Many...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Happy Birthday Electric Lady Studios…: ...what a long, strange trip it's been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, an...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 27, 2012 | No CommentsThis year marks the 25th Anniversary of the Loisaida Festival, a celebration of Latino culture, […]
Posted on May 25, 2012 | 2 CommentsFor all you Mad Men fans, Howard Johnson’s is probably fresh on your mind. And […]
Posted on May 24, 2012 | 1 CommentIt is hard to imagine East 10th and Stuyvesant Streets today without thinking about neighborhood […]
Posted on May 23, 2012 | 2 CommentsAs part of its massive proposed Village expansion plan, NYU is seeking to build 2.5 […]
Posted on May 22, 2012 | No CommentsWe’re thrilled to announce that last week the Landmarks Preservation Commission unanimously voted to confer […]
Posted on May 21, 2012 | 1 Comment“On Saturdays when I did not have to lecture, we used to visit the saloon […]
Posted on May 18, 2012 | No CommentsNo, it’s not about recycling and no, it’s not a list of past dates. It’s […]
Posted on May 17, 2012 | 2 CommentsWalking near Jackson Square in the West Village, you may have wondered what will become […]
Posted on May 16, 2012 | No CommentsThis weekend, the New York Landmarks Conservancy is again organizing the state-wide Sacred Sites Open […]
Posted on May 15, 2012 | No CommentsRecently, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and American Express announced 40 preservation projects in […]