Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 25, 2012 | 1 CommentA research request by a New York Times writer regarding the Cherry Lane Theatre at […]
Posted on January 24, 2012 | 2 CommentsLast week we had a bittersweet victory when the Landmarks Preservation Commission voted in favor […]
Posted on January 23, 2012 | 1 Comment“Superblock” is a term that we have been hearing more and more with the publication […]
Posted on January 20, 2012 | 1 CommentIn an earlier post we cleared up some common misconceptions about landmarking, one of which […]
Posted on January 19, 2012 | 2 CommentsToday we celebrate what would have been Edgar Allan Poe’s 203rd birthday! Born in Boston […]
Posted on January 18, 2012 | No CommentsIt is hard to imagine Bleecker Street, with its high fashion boutiques, small businesses, cafes, […]
Posted on January 17, 2012 | No CommentsToday we are thrilled to welcome Amanda Davis – our new Director of Preservation and […]
Posted on January 16, 2012 | No CommentsAs a reminder on Tuesday, January 17, the Landmarks Preservation Commission will have a […]
Posted on January 13, 2012 | No CommentsToday marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks […]
Posted on January 12, 2012 | No Comments61 Washington Square South, before it was demolished in 1948, was known as the House […]