Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on June 15, 2011 | 3 CommentsExactly 107 years ago today, on the morning of June 15, 1904, the General Slocum...
Posted on June 14, 2011 | 6 CommentsNo, we’re not referencing the catchy pop song of a similar title (although it’s now...
Posted on June 13, 2011 | 1 CommentWhile many of our 2011 Village Awardees are located within NYC historic districts, the Church...
Posted on June 13, 2011 | No CommentsBob Holman works with words—spoken and written—and for over many years has shared that work...
Posted on June 11, 2011 | No CommentsThe High Line is an Economic Dynamo (NY Times) After the Gold Rush by Neil...
Posted on June 10, 2011 | 2 CommentsHere at GVSHP we love successful women (4 out of 6 of our staff members...
Posted on June 10, 2011 | 1 CommentOver the many years GVSHP has presented the Village Awards, awardees have often been...
Posted on June 9, 2011 | No CommentsMcNulty’s Tea & Coffee Company at 109 Christopher Street is a part of a long...
Posted on June 8, 2011 | No CommentsThat’s right folks, we’re talking about Ghostbusters! Today marks the 27th anniversary of the release...
Posted on June 8, 2011 | 1 CommentReaders who have followed our advocacy work with NYU know that much has recently changed...