Browse By Neighborhood
- Alexander Hamilton and the Village: The hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding...
- When was my building built? and other tricky research questions: The New York Public Library, whose digital gallery we here at GVSHP turn to quite...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 31, 2013 | No CommentsIn the East Village, community gardens began growing when neighborhood activists threw “seed-bombs” into empty, […]
Posted on May 30, 2013 | No CommentsMost of us have just celebrated the unofficial beginning of summer with the Memorial Day […]
Posted on May 29, 2013 | No CommentsMills House Number 1 at 160 Bleecker Street (at Thompson Street) in the South Village was […]
Posted on May 28, 2013 | 8 CommentsLast week, as part of our Map It! series, we featured the long-forgotten Minetta Place, […]
Posted on May 27, 2013 | No CommentsWhile Memorial Day is often known (unofficially, of course) as the kick-off to summer, it […]
Posted on May 24, 2013 | No CommentsOn May 25, 1967, the film Barefoot in the Park, based on the Neil Simon […]
Posted on May 23, 2013 | 9 CommentsJust prior to yesterday’s rally and press conference to save historic Mary Help of Christians […]
Posted on May 22, 2013 | No CommentsSince the first public market opened in the area in 1884, Gansevoort Market — or […]
Posted on May 21, 2013 | No CommentsLast week, Off the Grid celebrated the upcoming Obie and Tony Awards. Today, GVSHP is […]
Posted on May 20, 2013 | 4 CommentsWe’re gearing up for tomorrow’s LPC public meeting in which the commissioners will vote to […]