Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on June 6, 2011 | 1 CommentWe had a hunch this day was coming. The owners of the former Sigmund Schwartz...
Posted on June 6, 2011 | No CommentsThe Museum of the City of New York presents: Greenwich Village: Past, Present, and Future...
Posted on June 4, 2011 | No CommentsSilver Towers Adorable East Village Mural Proposal (Gothamist) Another Protest Outside the Continental (EV Grieve)...
Posted on June 3, 2011 | No CommentsThis week’s Spot the Shot was taken at 725 Greenwich Street, between Charles & Perry...
Posted on June 2, 2011 | 14 CommentsCall it whatever you’d like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
Posted on June 1, 2011 | 3 CommentsLast week, we took readers through the tumultuous history of the MTA’s attempts to design...
Posted on May 31, 2011 | 3 CommentsWhen former South Village resident Josette Lee emailed GVSHP a picture of her Dad from...
Posted on May 31, 2011 | No Comments“Spot the Shot” is Off the Grid’s weekly photo guessing game, whereby we post a...
Posted on May 28, 2011 | No CommentsSummer means beautiful flowers for sale! Photos from Dance Parade 2011 (Gothamist) Currywurst Bros. Brings...
Posted on May 27, 2011 | No CommentsAn astute reader managed to guess the location of this week’s Spot the Shot: the...