Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 12, 2012 | No Comments61 Washington Square South, before it was demolished in 1948, was known as the House […]
Posted on January 11, 2012 | 1 CommentHave you ever walked on 14th Street near Irving Place and looked up to see […]
Posted on January 10, 2012 | 2 CommentsWhat an amazing picture! Talk about the good old days. We love historic images here […]
Posted on January 9, 2012 | 1 CommentTonight will be a critical first public hearing in the public review and approval process […]
Posted on January 6, 2012 | No CommentsFriends of Eater seem to agree that the West Village was the best dining neighborhood […]
Posted on January 6, 2012 | No CommentsThe Downtown Piano Queen played at the space of the former Circle in the Square […]
Posted on January 6, 2012 | No CommentsAfter 28 years Polonia, Polish restaurant, closes due to small-business-killing landlords (The Local East Village) […]
Posted on January 5, 2012 | 2 CommentsWe often receive research requests here at GVSHP that ask a very particular question about […]
Posted on January 3, 2012 | 1 CommentThis is the latest installment of Off the Grid’s series, “My Favorite Things,” in which […]
Posted on January 2, 2012 | No CommentsWe hope that you had a wonderful New Year celebration! With the arrival of 2012 […]