Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Remembering East Village resident and musician Lead Belly: As regular readers of "Off the Grid" will know, one of many ways GVSHP has...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsMr. Mayor, don’t forget the Landmarks Preservation Commission! Amid lobbying on higher-profile issues like stop-and-frisk, […]
Posted on November 1, 2013 | 1 CommentAs Election Day approaches, like many of you, we’re wondering what the future holds for […]
Posted on October 31, 2013 | No CommentsThe Village does Halloween like no other NYC community, featuring parades, festivals, and plenty of […]
Posted on October 30, 2013 | No CommentsIt’s that time of year again. Someone dressed as Minnie Mouse passes you on your […]
Posted on October 29, 2013 | No CommentsIf the “art deco masterpiece” that is 570 Lexington Avenue no longer stood on the […]
Posted on October 29, 2013 | 1 CommentThe world mourned the passing of Lou Reed this past weekend at the age of […]
Posted on October 25, 2013 | No CommentsOn October 26, 1825, New York Governor DeWitt Clinton began a voyage on the Erie […]
Posted on October 24, 2013 | No CommentsWith next Tuesday’s hearing on the possible landmark designation of the Tifereth Israel Town & […]
Posted on October 23, 2013 | No CommentsHere in the world of preserving worthy buildings, there’s a question that often comes up. […]
Posted on October 22, 2013 | No CommentsTucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home […]