Browse By Neighborhood
- University Village/Silver Towers – Urban Design that Stands the Test of Time: Greenwich Village is home to what is considered by many one of the finest examples...
- When was my building built? and other tricky research questions: The New York Public Library, whose digital gallery we here at GVSHP turn to quite...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- High Line, Part 3: Congratulations to our friends at The High Line! The third and final section of the...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 21, 2013 | No CommentsWith Labor Day fast approaching and temperatures rising, my thoughts are turning to … ice […]
Posted on August 20, 2013 | 2 CommentsLast week the Whitney Museum revealed its 3D cut-out recreation of the noted Edward Hooper […]
Posted on August 19, 2013 | No CommentsOn Monday, September 16th, GVSHP and our co-sponsor The New School for Public Engagement will […]
Posted on August 16, 2013 | 2 CommentsIn the early 1900s, the East Village was teeming with theaters and movie houses. Second […]
Posted on August 15, 2013 | 1 CommentLast week GVSHP took an important step in documenting the South Village for its listing […]
Posted on August 14, 2013 | No CommentsSeven years ago this Friday, GVSHP sent the Landmarks Preservation Commission an urgent request to […]
Posted on August 13, 2013 | 1 CommentA couple of weeks ago I was walking along 3rd Street in the East Village […]
Posted on August 12, 2013 | 1 CommentForty-nine years ago today, on August 12, 1964, ground was broken for the construction of […]
Posted on August 9, 2013 | 1 CommentFive years ago yesterday GVSHP and the East Village Community Coalition formally requested that the […]
Posted on August 8, 2013 | No CommentsSix years ago today, on August 8, 2007, the Landmarks Preservation Commission wrote to GVSHP […]