Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Farewell to Our Friend Bert Waggott: Here at Off the Grid we are sad to report that we have lost a...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 30, 2013 | No CommentsA new application for storefront work at a gas station on the corner of Eighth […]
Posted on April 29, 2013 | 3 CommentsLast November, we showed how — to our amazement — the City’s own “Community Profile” […]
Posted on April 26, 2013 | 2 CommentsOp-Ed from The Villager newspaper, April 25, 2012 http://thevillager.com/2013/04/25/quinn-and-city-cant-omit-3-key-south-village-sites/ Quinn and City Must Not Omit […]
Posted on April 25, 2013 | No CommentsCommon lore has it that the demolition of Penn Station fifty years ago was the […]
Posted on April 24, 2013 | No CommentsIn just a week and a half, GVSHP will hold our 15th Annual Benefit House […]
Posted on April 23, 2013 | No CommentsRichie Havens, the iconic singer and guitarist, passed away yesterday at the age of 72. […]
Posted on April 22, 2013 | 3 CommentsIt’s disappointing but hardly surprising — NYU destroying a small but important piece of the […]
Posted on April 19, 2013 | 4 CommentsA familiar site to New Yorkers and visitors alike, the charming Washington Mews sits just […]
Posted on April 18, 2013 | 2 CommentsOne of the most exciting parts of the Annual Village House Tour Benefit, taking place […]
Posted on April 17, 2013 | 3 CommentsLast week, GVSHP co-sponsored an event with Fourth Arts Block (FAB) at LaMaMa Experimental Theater […]