Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Jared Kushner’s (Preservation) Record: The Donald has been getting a lot of attention lately, what with his running for ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 15, 2014 | 2 CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the people, […]
Posted on April 14, 2014 | No CommentsIt was almost 150 years ago this evening that President Abraham Lincoln was fatally shot […]
Posted on April 11, 2014 | 1 CommentThe 20th century had hardly begun when the New York State legislature signed into law […]
Posted on April 10, 2014 | No CommentsSeven years ago, a picturesque swath of lower Manhattan by the Hudson River was listed […]
Posted on April 9, 2014 | 2 CommentsI recently spent my vacation visiting the European cities of Barcelona, Rome, and Trieste. During […]
Posted on April 8, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the […]
Posted on April 7, 2014 | No CommentsThe Emergency Relief Appropriation Act was passed by Congress on April 8 in 1935, five […]
Posted on April 4, 2014 | No CommentsHere at Off the Grid we often focus on our downtown Village neighborhoods, but the […]
Posted on April 3, 2014 | No CommentsWith the refreshingly spring-like weather making us long for a walk in the park today, […]
Posted on April 2, 2014 | 4 CommentsForty-six years ago today, on April 2, 1968, the groundbreaking film “2001: A Space Odyssey” […]