Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 9, 2014 | No CommentsToday we take for granted that every building has an architect behind it. You need […]
Posted on January 8, 2014 | No CommentsIn the Far West Village, along the Greenwich Village waterfront, sits a block of West […]
Posted on January 7, 2014 | 4 CommentsThe site at 99 Seventh Avenue South in Greenwich Village today houses the Garage restaurant, […]
Posted on January 6, 2014 | No CommentsGeography has never been my forte. I’ve been lost more times than I can count […]
Posted on January 3, 2014 | No CommentsThe holidays are behind us, and a stretch of short days and long nights lies […]
Posted on January 2, 2014 | 1 CommentHappy New Year! And what better way to kick off a brand new year than […]
Posted on December 31, 2013 | 1 CommentThis post is the last of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
A Rite of Passage for Jewish Gangsters of the Lower East Side: The Manhattan Third District Magistrate’s CourtPosted on December 30, 2013 | 1 CommentThis post is the third of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 27, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the second of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 26, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the first of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]