Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on May 27, 2011 | No CommentsAn astute reader managed to guess the location of this week’s Spot the Shot: the...
Posted on May 27, 2011 | No CommentsWith Memorial Day almost here, we thought we would take a look at some of...
Posted on May 25, 2011 | 3 CommentsNext Tuesday, May 31st, the MTA will present its final proposed designs for an emergency...
Posted on May 24, 2011 | 1 CommentOn May 24, 1941 a baby named Robert Allen Zimmerman was born in Duluth, Minnesota. ...
Posted on May 23, 2011 | 7 CommentsWe here at GVSHP spend a great deal of time pouring over archival records and...
Posted on May 23, 2011 | 2 Comments“Spot the Shot” is Off the Grid’s weekly photo guessing game, whereby we post a...
Posted on May 21, 2011 | No CommentsThis weekend, our friends over at the New York Landmarks Conservancy are hosting a state-wide,...
Posted on May 20, 2011 | No CommentsThis week’s Spot the Shot comes from…
Posted on May 20, 2011 | No CommentsMeat Co. to Leave for NJ (WSJ) Driver Runs Down Narcotics Officer in Village (City...
Posted on May 19, 2011 | No CommentsLoyal supporters of GVSHP know our logo well, but few know the true origins of...