Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Farewell to Al Orensanz, a Lower East Side Cultural Hero: Today GVSHP pays its respects to Al Orensanz, the Director of the Angel Orensanz Foundation ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 7, 2014 | No CommentsThe Emergency Relief Appropriation Act was passed by Congress on April 8 in 1935, five […]
Posted on April 4, 2014 | No CommentsHere at Off the Grid we often focus on our downtown Village neighborhoods, but the […]
Posted on April 3, 2014 | No CommentsWith the refreshingly spring-like weather making us long for a walk in the park today, […]
Posted on April 2, 2014 | 4 CommentsForty-six years ago today, on April 2, 1968, the groundbreaking film “2001: A Space Odyssey” […]
Posted on April 1, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the […]
Posted on March 31, 2014 | 4 CommentsIt’s finally warm enough to re-start a new feature, Places We Love, focusing on architectural, […]
Posted on March 28, 2014 | 2 CommentsIf one has the occasion to think about incarceration in the Village, many long-time residents […]
Posted on March 27, 2014 | 2 CommentsForty years ago this weekend, the Ramones played their very first public performance. The Ramones […]
Posted on March 26, 2014 | No CommentsAt 293 and 297 West 4th Street, between Bank and West 11th Streets in the […]
Posted on March 25, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid’s series in which we highlight the […]