Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The Astor Place Riot: Recently we have been running a series in Off the Grid on the Village as ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 11, 2014 | 4 CommentsOff the Grid often features images from GVSHP’s Preservation Archive and Oral History Project. The […]
Posted on August 8, 2014 | No CommentsTwo weeks ago our friends at Green Guerillas led us on a tour of some […]
Posted on August 7, 2014 | No CommentsOne of the most reliable laugh lines from the hilarious current movie Obvious Child doesn’t […]
Posted on August 6, 2014 | No CommentsFrom November 1975 to September 1976, artist Roy Colmer photographed more than 3,000 Manhattan doorways […]
Posted on August 5, 2014 | No CommentsCompleted in 1853, by architect James Renwick, the St. Denis Hotel stood at the corner […]
Posted on August 4, 2014 | No CommentsLocated at the corner of West 10th and Washington Streets, the imposing building at 277 […]
Posted on August 1, 2014 | No CommentsA recent report about a possible five-story expansion atop a century-old building has inspired us […]
Posted on July 31, 2014 | 1 CommentWith the summer breeze , a stop along the Greenwich Village waterfront to reminisce about […]
Posted on July 30, 2014 | No CommentsThe view above looking west on West 12th Street from Eighth Avenue taken in 1929 […]
Posted on July 29, 2014 | No CommentsWith all the talk about immigration reform in the news lately, it got us thinking […]