Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 1, 2012 | No CommentsAmid the cast-iron facades of commercial and converted residential buildings between Broadway and University Place […]
Posted on July 31, 2012 | No CommentsIt’s the dog days of summer here in New York City, so here at Off […]
Posted on July 30, 2012 | 4 CommentsGVSHP recently came across a great website called 1940s New York. In 1943, four local […]
Posted on July 27, 2012 | No CommentsOn Wednesday the City Council voted 44-1 in favor of the NYU 2031 Plan. Since […]
Posted on July 26, 2012 | No CommentsOne of the most frequent questions we get at GVSHP is where to find historic […]
Posted on July 25, 2012 | No CommentsToday the City Council chose to ignore thousands of New Yorkers and by far the […]
Posted on July 24, 2012 | 1 CommentFor a few months now, many of you have been following the proposal for a […]
Posted on July 23, 2012 | No CommentsSimply put, adaptive reuse is defined as the process of adapting old structure for new […]
Posted on July 20, 2012 | No CommentsAlthough NYU’s massive Village expansion plan was modestly reduced at this week’s City Council Land […]
Posted on July 19, 2012 | No CommentsThe Atlantic Cities featured an article called “A Brief History of NYU Land Battles” on […]