Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 26, 2012 | No CommentsOff the Grid recently reported on how St. Mark’s Bookshop, the beloved independent bookshop in […]
Posted on June 25, 2012 | No CommentsNext in the Map It! series is Stuyvesant Street, which runs through the northern portion […]
Posted on June 22, 2012 | No CommentsTwo years ago today, the Greenwich Village Historic District Extension II, or what GVSHP terms […]
Posted on June 21, 2012 | No CommentsJonathan Kuhn, a long-time Village resident who is also the Director of Art & Antiquities […]
Posted on June 20, 2012 | No CommentsOn Tuesday, June 26 the Landmarks Preservation Commission will hold a public hearing on the […]
Posted on June 19, 2012 | 1 CommentRight around this time last year, we were more than excited by the filming of […]
Posted on June 18, 2012 | 1 CommentFifty years ago, in May of 1962, folk group Peter, Paul and Mary released their […]
Posted on June 15, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the 108th anniversary of the General Slocum disaster. The greatest loss of life […]
Posted on June 14, 2012 | 1 CommentOn June 14, 1884 – or 128 years ago today – a municipally-sanctioned public market […]
Posted on June 13, 2012 | No CommentsStart spreading the news — the City Council’s public hearing on NYU’s massive proposed Village […]