Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Remembering East Village resident and musician Lead Belly: As regular readers of "Off the Grid" will know, one of many ways GVSHP has...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 18, 2013 | No CommentsThe Carl Fischer Music building dominated the skyline of Astor Place and Cooper Square for […]
Posted on October 17, 2013 | 2 CommentsForty-six years ago today, October 17, 1965, Pablo Picasso wrote in a letter that he […]
Posted on October 16, 2013 | No CommentsGVSHP is proud to share it’s new report “Ten Years – A Thousand Buildings – […]
Posted on October 15, 2013 | 2 CommentsFor stalwarts of the affordable housing scene in New York City, what obstacles come to […]
Posted on October 14, 2013 | No CommentsTucked mid-block between historic tenements on 6th Street in the East Village is a modern […]
Posted on October 11, 2013 | No CommentsEight years ago today, on October 11, 2005, the Far West Village rezoning plan was […]
Posted on October 10, 2013 | No CommentsIt’s been eleven years since the sad saga began at the Annie Leibowitz properties in […]
Posted on October 9, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day one year ago, the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission officially designated the East […]
Posted on October 8, 2013 | 1 CommentYou don’t have to live in the Village to celebrate the birthday of John Lennon, […]
Posted on October 7, 2013 | No CommentsOn Wednesday, GVSHP will be celebrating the 14th Birthday of the Neighborhood Preservation Center, the […]