Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 16, 2011 | 1 CommentAs we enter the final phase of the holiday shopping season we thought we would […]
Posted on December 15, 2011 | No CommentsThe settling in of cold weather has us here at GVSHP feeling a little nostalgic […]
Posted on December 13, 2011 | 3 CommentsIn recent years, the East Village on the whole has come to be known for […]
Posted on December 12, 2011 | 2 CommentsChances are you are familiar with the timeless Christmas special Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, which […]
Posted on December 9, 2011 | 3 CommentsThe iconic early 19th century rowhouses that flank the north side of Washington Square Park […]
Posted on December 8, 2011 | No CommentsNearly four centuries ago, Dutch Governor Peter Stuyvesant, whose life has been the stuff of […]
Posted on December 7, 2011 | 1 CommentYesterday we explored some of the history of elevated train lines in the Village. Today […]
Posted on December 6, 2011 | No CommentsAn Off the Grid reader asks: “Why is there a set of stone markers embedded […]
Posted on December 5, 2011 | 2 Comments‘ Tis the season! Since we’re in the midst of both the holiday and presidential […]
Posted on December 2, 2011 | No CommentsLast year, City Council Member Rosie Mendez recognized the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation […]