Browse By Neighborhood
- Memphis on the Hudson: We look at historic buildings and documents a lot here on Off the Grid. Many...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Happy Birthday Electric Lady Studios…: ...what a long, strange trip it's been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, an...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 25, 2012 | 1 CommentWe always thought the building at 193 Second Avenue at the corner of 12th […]
Posted on April 24, 2012 | No CommentsTomorrow morning one of the most important public hearings on NYU’s massive expansion plan will […]
Posted on April 23, 2012 | No CommentsThe World of Video at 51 Greenwich Avenue, the oldest and longest-running video rental store in […]
Posted on April 20, 2012 | No CommentsOn April 21, 1831, New York University was chartered as the University of the City […]
Posted on April 19, 2012 | No CommentsAstor Place — in one form or another — has been part of Manhattan’s […]
Posted on April 18, 2012 | No CommentsOn Sunday, May 6, GVSHP will present its 14th Annual Village House Tour, a benefit […]
Posted on April 17, 2012 | No CommentsThe Titanic disaster has once again received worldwide attention as we mark the centennial of […]
Posted on April 16, 2012 | 10 CommentsA recent visit to the highly-anticipated Keith Haring exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum, Keith Haring: […]
Posted on April 13, 2012 | No CommentsAs recently reported, the condo construction project at 61 Fifth Avenue (at 13th Street) has […]
Posted on April 12, 2012 | 1 CommentWalking along East 2nd Street, between Avenue A and First Avenue, you might have noticed […]