Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on May 18, 2011 | No CommentsNumerous media outlets have reported on the Westchester resident who intentionally drove his van into...
Posted on May 17, 2011 | 2 CommentsThis spring marks the 30th Anniversary of the St. Mark’s Greenmarket and Music at Abe...
Posted on May 16, 2011 | No CommentsAs early as 1963, Jane Jacobs urged that a fledgling NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC)...
Posted on May 16, 2011 | No Comments“Spot the Shot” is Off the Grid’s weekly photo guessing game, whereby we post a...
Posted on May 13, 2011 | No CommentsLife After the Amato Opera (EV Grieve) Inauguration of New Organ at Church of the...
Posted on May 13, 2011 | No CommentsNo one was able to guess the location of this week’s Spot the Shot, but...
Posted on May 13, 2011 | 2 CommentsWoah! Can you believe the corner of St. Marks Place and Second Avenue once looked...
Posted on May 12, 2011 | No CommentsIt’s now been almost a year since the owners of Nos. 47 West 8th Street...
Posted on May 11, 2011 | 2 CommentsOn May 7, 2011, at the age of 72, Doric Wilson passed away, bestowing immense...
Posted on May 11, 2011 | 1 CommentLast night, Community Board 2′s Traffic & Transportation Committee reviewed proposed revised design elements and...