Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Remembering East Village resident and musician Lead Belly: As regular readers of "Off the Grid" will know, one of many ways GVSHP has...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 4, 2013 | 3 CommentsBreakfast at Tiffany’s, one of the defining movies of the 1960’s — and defining movies […]
Posted on October 3, 2013 | No CommentsIt’s been just under four years since the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated as an individual […]
Posted on October 1, 2013 | No CommentsOn October 1, 1998, Charlie Zito passed away after years of baking bread on Bleecker […]
Posted on September 27, 2013 | 1 CommentLast month we featured the drawings of Anthony F. Dumas, a man who was responsible […]
Posted on September 26, 2013 | 5 CommentsLast week’s announcement in The Villager confirming The Village Voice’s move from its offices […]
Posted on September 25, 2013 | 1 CommentWith the recent news that things are finally beginning to move with the city’s redevelopment […]
Posted on September 24, 2013 | No CommentsF. Scott Fitzgerald, considered one of the greatest American writers of the 20th century and […]
Posted on September 23, 2013 | No CommentsSeptember means back-to-school time for a lot of New Yorkers, and GVSHP is no exception. […]
Posted on September 20, 2013 | 3 CommentsIt was ten years ago this month that the city’s Independent Budget Office (IBO) released […]