Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 1, 2012 | No CommentsFoods of New York Tours was unofficially launched in 1998 by Todd Lefkovic, a New […]
Developer Seeks Variances from Board of Standards and Appeals for Rooftop Additions at 329-335 East 9th StreetPosted on May 31, 2012 | 2 CommentsOn June 5 the Board of Standards and Appeals will hold a hearing for variances […]
Posted on May 30, 2012 | No CommentsEducator, psychologist, and reformer Elisabeth Irwin founded the Little Red School House, an experimental curriculum […]
Posted on May 29, 2012 | No CommentsThe many community gardens of New York City were developed as the City tore down […]
Posted on May 27, 2012 | No CommentsThis year marks the 25th Anniversary of the Loisaida Festival, a celebration of Latino culture, […]
Posted on May 25, 2012 | 2 CommentsFor all you Mad Men fans, Howard Johnson’s is probably fresh on your mind. And […]
Posted on May 24, 2012 | 1 CommentIt is hard to imagine East 10th and Stuyvesant Streets today without thinking about neighborhood […]
Posted on May 23, 2012 | 2 CommentsAs part of its massive proposed Village expansion plan, NYU is seeking to build 2.5 […]
Posted on May 22, 2012 | No CommentsWe’re thrilled to announce that last week the Landmarks Preservation Commission unanimously voted to confer […]
Posted on May 21, 2012 | 2 Comments“On Saturdays when I did not have to lecture, we used to visit the saloon […]