Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The First Landmarks Preservation Commission Hearing, September 21, 1965: Fifty-one years ago today, on September 21, 1965, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held its ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 7, 2014 | 4 CommentsAs I was walking along East 11th Street recently I happened to notice two tenements […]
Posted on May 6, 2014 | No CommentsThis week we have two milestone anniversaries that relate to my old stomping grounds, Carmine […]
Posted on May 5, 2014 | No CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the people, […]
Posted on May 2, 2014 | No CommentsOn May 3, 1849, Jacob August Riis was born in Denmark. At age 21, he […]
Posted on May 1, 2014 | No CommentsWelcome to the inaugural post in our Throwback Thursday series where we will share some […]
Posted on April 30, 2014 | 1 CommentPenny Arcade has been living the bohemian life in New York City, and making art […]
Posted on April 29, 2014 | No CommentsForty-five years ago today, mayor John Lindsay was still smarting from the botched cleanup of […]
Posted on April 28, 2014 | 2 CommentsWarm, sunny days in the Village have us here at GVSHP looking forward to our […]
Posted on April 25, 2014 | 2 CommentsOne of the many tools historic preservationists use in their work is historic images. They […]
Posted on April 24, 2014 | 3 CommentsIn this day and age, information about nearly any topic is at our fingertips. A […]