Browse By Neighborhood
- Memphis on the Hudson: We look at historic buildings and documents a lot here on Off the Grid. Many...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Happy Birthday Electric Lady Studios…: ...what a long, strange trip it's been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, an...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 11, 2012 | 2 CommentsThere’s lots to love about the culture, architecture, and history of the East Village, and the […]
Posted on April 10, 2012 | No CommentsAny restoration of a historic site within our neighborhoods is exciting. But when that project […]
Posted on April 9, 2012 | No CommentsOn April 8 1935, the creation of the Works Progress Administration was approved by Congress […]
Posted on April 5, 2012 | No CommentsAt their March 27th public meeting, the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated four individual landmarks located […]
Posted on April 5, 2012 | 1 CommentImage via Gothamist. It was five years ago today at 86 Bedford Street that a […]
Posted on April 4, 2012 | 1 CommentOn this day, April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. was fatally shot by escaped […]
Posted on April 3, 2012 | No CommentsYesterday, the National Archives released its records of the 1940 Census. And that’s a big […]
Posted on April 2, 2012 | No CommentsMany of us awoke to the sad news today of the passing of Charles Lockwood. […]
Posted on March 30, 2012 | No CommentsThis spring, Greenwich Village business Your Neighborhood Office was named best “doorman substitute” in 2012 […]
Posted on March 29, 2012 | 2 CommentsFollowing a recent post about the Roman Catholic Church of Mary Help of Christians at 440 […]