Browse By Neighborhood
- What’s That Orange Netting On My Neighbor’s Rooftop?: Every so often we get a call or an email here at GVSHP asking about...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Map It! Finding the Lost Stuyvesant Alley: Recently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists....
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 31, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the last of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on June 28, 2013 | 3 CommentsOn Avenue C between 9th and 10th Streets sits a small, unassuming two-story garage. Chances […]
Posted on December 6, 2012 | No CommentsLouisiana’s notorious Angola State Prison. Folk singer Pete Seeger. The Dry Dock District in Alphabet […]
Posted on September 19, 2011 | 1 CommentWalking down the quiet, shady block of East 3rd Street between Avenues C and D, […]
Posted on July 1, 2011 | 1 CommentMany of you may remember the unusual, eclectic toy tower that once stood in the […]
Posted on June 24, 2011 | No CommentsThis is post #5 in a series devoted to our ongoing research of 143-145 Ave […]
Posted on June 14, 2011 | 6 CommentsNo, we’re not referencing the catchy pop song of a similar title (although it’s now […]
Posted on April 25, 2011 | 3 CommentsThis is post #4 in a series devoted to our ongoing research of 143-145 Ave […]
Posted on March 29, 2011 | 1 CommentThis is post #3 in a series devoted to our research of the fascinating building […]
Posted on March 16, 2011 | 4 CommentsThis is post #2 in a series devoted to our ongoing research of 143-145 Ave […]