Browse By Neighborhood
- Places We Love: That Shopable Block, East 9th Street: Today we introduce a new feature, Places We Love, focusing on architectural and cultural favorites...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Fashion in the Park: With Fashion Week ending yesterday, we thought we’d wrap up our week with a look...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 9, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day one year ago, the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission officially designated the East […]
Posted on May 14, 2013 | 1 CommentWhile we received some incredibly good news last week about possible future landmarking in the […]
Posted on August 31, 2012 | No CommentsOff the Grid will be going, well, off the grid for the holiday weekend. While […]
Posted on June 14, 2012 | 1 CommentOn June 14, 1884 – or 128 years ago today – a municipally-sanctioned public market […]
Posted on August 10, 2011 | 1 CommentMarking the 100th anniversary of his birth, today Tablet printed a thoughtful piece on pioneering […]
Posted on July 13, 2011 | No CommentsExactly 148 years ago today began five days of violence in New York City known […]
Posted on June 15, 2011 | 4 CommentsExactly 107 years ago today, on the morning of June 15, 1904, the General Slocum […]
Posted on April 29, 2011 | 7 CommentsJerry Seinfeld’s birthday is today, Friday, April 29; the Brooklyn-born, Long Island-raised, Queens College-educated comedian […]
Posted on April 25, 2011 | 3 CommentsThis month marks the 50th Anniversary of what has come to be known as the […]
Posted on April 21, 2011 | 3 CommentsThis week marks the 180th anniversary of the incorporation of New York University, which was […]