Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 22, 2014 | No CommentsThe produce spilling out into the street and the haphazard awnings in the above 1925 […]
Posted on August 27, 2014 | No CommentsGVSHP has always been concerned about the status of small businesses, whether they be […]
Posted on April 15, 2014 | 2 CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the people, […]
Posted on November 27, 2013 | No CommentsAt this time of year, we’re thinking about the many things we’re grateful for, as […]
Posted on November 13, 2013 | 1 CommentYesterday the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) approved an application for a new storefront at 259-263 […]
Posted on October 1, 2013 | No CommentsOn October 1, 1998, Charlie Zito passed away after years of baking bread on Bleecker […]
Posted on September 17, 2013 | No CommentsEminent architect Matthew W. Del Gaudio died on September 17, 1960. One of his most […]
Posted on September 6, 2013 | 1 CommentIt was a sad day for cinephiles 23 years ago today, when the Bleecker Street […]
Posted on August 1, 2013 | No CommentsThis past Monday evening, many of us gathered on MacDougal Street near Bleecker for the […]