Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on May 9, 2013 | 1 CommentI am not a native New Yorker, but as a long-time (now former) resident of...
Posted on April 17, 2013 | 1 CommentLast week, GVSHP co-sponsored an event with Fourth Arts Block (FAB) at LaMaMa Experimental Theater...
Posted on March 4, 2013 | No CommentsWith the City’s Council’s vote this week on the Hudson Square rezoning, which will decide...
Posted on November 16, 2012 | No CommentsWhile we’re not yet technically at the ‘silver’ (i.e. 25th) anniversary, this Sunday will mark...
Posted on September 25, 2012 | 2 CommentsYesterday’s news headlines were abuzz with the phrase “subway flaw fixed,” in reference to today’s...
Posted on June 6, 2012 | 1 CommentCompleted in the spring of this year, the spectacular renovation of the small park at...
Posted on February 28, 2012 | No CommentsFor historic preservationists, who often use the built environment as a major source of information...
Posted on February 15, 2012 | No CommentsWalking west along Charles Street, it is hard to imagine that the area bounded by...
Posted on February 9, 2012 | 1 CommentHave you ever come across a peculiar street pattern in the city and wondered how...
Posted on January 18, 2012 | No CommentsIt is hard to imagine Bleecker Street, with its high fashion boutiques, small businesses, cafes,...