Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Sullivan Street Tea & Spice Company: Your input is needed! Today we feature our second “Business of the Month" — the first...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 1980s Tax Photos: Then & Now: For today's post in our Then & Now series, we thought we'd feature a few...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 6, 2015 | No CommentsThe exact date is impossible to confirm. But it is widely accepted that Bob Dylan […]
Posted on December 19, 2014 | No Comments(This post is part of a series called Village People: A Who’s Who of Greenwich […]
Posted on April 15, 2014 | 2 CommentsThis is the latest installment of the Off the Grid series in which we highlight the people, […]
Posted on February 18, 2014 | No CommentsGVSHP works to preserve the architectural and cultural heritage of Greenwich Village, the East Village, […]
Posted on February 7, 2014 | No Comments“Yeah, yeah, yeah” – as the New York Times wrote in February 1964 – it […]
Posted on January 28, 2014 | 1 Comment“The artists.” Without a doubt, that response is the one I hear most often when […]
Posted on December 13, 2013 | No CommentsThirty eight years ago today, Patti Smith’s album ‘Horses’ was released. Simply put, music was […]
Posted on December 5, 2013 | 2 CommentsThey may not necessarily be a basis for landmark designation, but it’s always nice when […]
Posted on August 26, 2013 | 1 Comment…what a long, strange trip it’s been. Forty-three years ago today, on August 26th, 1970, […]
Posted on August 23, 2013 | No CommentsFifty years ago this coming week, on August 28th, 1963, one of the most iconic […]