Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- April 19, 1927: Mae West Sentenced on Morals Charges at Jefferson Market Courthouse: “Miss West, are you trying to show contempt for this court?” “On the contrary, your Honor,” ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 11, 2017 | No CommentsHe blew into town on a cold December day in 1960, slammed the door of […]
Posted on December 31, 2016 | No Comments2016 is coming to an end. What better way to ring in the New Year […]
Posted on December 14, 2016 | No CommentsOn Saturday, December 10, 2016, the extraordinary Patti Smith accepted the Nobel Prize for Literature […]
Posted on December 2, 2016 | 1 CommentBob Dylan in Sheridan Square The South Village has many reasons to be celebrated these […]
Posted on November 16, 2016 | No CommentsThere is an absurdity in the photos and video which depict the event now known […]
Posted on August 8, 2016 | No CommentsOn Wednesday, Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation will be hosting a walking tour on […]
Posted on February 16, 2016 | 1 CommentGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on January 26, 2015 | No CommentsOn Sunday 9 April 1961, Washington Square Park was full of folk musicians and their […]
Posted on January 6, 2015 | 3 CommentsThe exact date is impossible to confirm. But it is widely accepted that Bob Dylan […]
Posted on December 19, 2014 | No Comments(This post is part of a series called Village People: A Who’s Who of Greenwich […]