Home : Preservation : Off the Grid  /  About

bowery

  • The Lasting Imprint of Stuyvesant Street

    Nearly all of the East Village falls in line with the Manhattan street grid, dating back to the Commissioners’ Plan of 1811. However, one defiant street, only one block long, stands at odds with the grid, Stuyvesant Street. Running true East – West, it was […]

    Full Story

  • When New York really became New York

    On this day in 1664, then-Dutch Governor Peter Stuyvesant surrendered what was known as New Amsterdam, the capital of New Netherland, to English naval Colonel Richard Nicolls. The European settlement on Lenape indigenous lands extended as far as Wall Street at the time and was […]

    Full Story

  • August 23, 1813: “The Bowery” is Born

    It was August 23 of 1813 when the Common Council of New York City officially put the name “The Bowery” on the books as a city street name. But New Yorkers had already been calling it by that name for centuries, and native residents of […]

    Full Story

  • April 23, 1976: Ramones Debut Album Released; Music Changed Forever

    On April 23, 1976, the Ramones self-titled debut album was released, changing the face of music forever. Clocking in at just 29 minutes, ‘The Ramones’ was the absolute antithesis of the bloated, album-oriented, arena rock of the era. It was quick, it was simple, and […]

    Full Story

  • Remember The Alamo? The Cube is Back

    One of the most beloved public works of art was reinstalled in our community yesterday, after a two year hiatus. According to the NYC Department of Design and Construction, The Alamo Sculpture was originally installed in 1967 as part of  “Sculpture and the Environment”.  The Cube […]

    Full Story

  • When a Hotel Fell on Broadway

    Note: This is an updated version of a post originally written by Drew Durniak On this day in 1973, what was once one of the largest and most elegant hotels in the country collapsed onto Broadway, killing four and injuring many.

    Full Story

  • One Hundred Twenty Five Years of NYC Streetcars Started in the Village

    New York City Trolley or Streetcar service ended in New York City on April 6th, 1957 on Welfare (now Roosevelt) Island. But it began one hundred twenty five years earlier on November 14, 1832, with not only New York City but the world’s first streetcar […]

    Full Story

  • History For Sale: 3 East 3rd Street

    Whenever we see another ‘For Sale‘ sign in our neighborhoods, it is often the cause for worry or fear.  Concerns naturally arise that another out-of-context tower might obliterate the skyline, or another new development might destroy the unique character of our retail spaces. But sometimes […]

    Full Story

  • Landmarks50: Germania Fire Insurance Company Bowery Building

    We continue the Landmarks50 celebration with a look at another individual landmark in our neighborhood, the Germania Fire Insurance Company Bowery Building at 357 Bowery. Designed by prominent German-American architect Carl Pfeiffer and built in 1870, the Germania Fire Insurance Company Bowery Building recalls the […]

    Full Story

  • A History of Magic in the Village and on the Bowery

    Last night GVSHP presented a program at the Jefferson Market Library about the history of magic and magicians in our neighborhoods. The speakers were long-time GVSHP supporter Tom Klem and his colleague Richard Cohn. Tom is an artist and historian, and a member of the […]

    Full Story

Page 1 of 212