Browse By Neighborhood
- Community Cornerstones: Penny Jones & Co. Puppets: We here at Off the Grid have often explored the history of the artists' residence...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 33 MacDougal Alley, the Lost Studio of Isamu Noguchi: MacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on July 26, 2013 | No CommentsBuilding Broadway is a new series from Off the Grid that highlights the beautiful historic […]
Posted on July 11, 2013 | No CommentsOn West 13th Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenues stands a parking garage on the […]
Posted on July 5, 2013 | No CommentsSchool may be out for the summer, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take time […]
Posted on July 3, 2013 | No CommentsOn the corner of Avenue B and East 8th Street is the former Tompkins Square […]
Posted on June 28, 2013 | 3 CommentsOn Avenue C between 9th and 10th Streets sits a small, unassuming two-story garage. Chances […]
Posted on May 8, 2013 | 1 CommentHow time flies – five years ago last March, the former East Eleventh Street Baths […]
Posted on February 8, 2013 | 2 CommentsThe snow is coming down here in New York City, so why not grab a […]
Posted on December 17, 2012 | 3 CommentsRecently someone asked me about a building he walked by in the East Village. Showing […]
Posted on October 12, 2012 | No CommentsTomorrow, Saturday, October 13th, the Public Theater at 425 Lafayette Street (off Astor Place) will […]
Posted on August 23, 2012 | No CommentsToday, we think of Times Square when we think of the theatre district, but over […]