Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on May 24, 2016 | No CommentsThree years ago, EV Grieve published a post about the preservationists calling for an archeological […]
Posted on May 18, 2016 | No CommentsSpringtime has arrived in our wonderful neighborhoods. Many more people are out and about. Locals and […]
Posted on May 11, 2016 | No CommentsEighty years ago today, on May 11, 1936, the old Tredwell house on 4th Street […]
Posted on May 10, 2016 | No CommentsNote: This is an updated version of a post originally by Karen Loew The New York […]
Posted on April 26, 2016 | No CommentsWhat was there before it was a garden? We get that question often here, and […]
Posted on March 28, 2016 | No CommentsThe Monday following Easter is known to Ukrainians as Dyngus Day, and many Ukrainian American […]
Posted on March 16, 2016 | No CommentsGVSHP is excited to share our oral history collection with the public, and hope they will […]
Posted on March 10, 2016 | 1 CommentWhenever we see another ‘For Sale‘ sign in our neighborhoods, it is often the cause […]
Posted on March 3, 2016 | No CommentsGone but not forgotten, the Village is as much defined by what is above as […]
Posted on February 8, 2016 | No CommentsOn February 7, 1960 the New York Times wrote an article discussing changes in Greenwich […]