Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- 57 Sullivan Street — A Landmark Designation Long Overdue: As one of the oldest surviving houses in Manhattan, 57 Sullivan Street has born witness...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 8, 2016 | No CommentsOn February 7, 1960 the New York Times wrote an article discussing changes in Greenwich […]
Posted on January 12, 2016 | No CommentsGreenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation is excited to share our oral history collection with […]
Posted on December 21, 2015 | No CommentsDuring the holiday season we reflect back on the past year. Here at GVSHP we’ve […]
Posted on December 1, 2015 | No CommentsGreenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation is excited to share our oral history collection with […]
Posted on November 6, 2015 | No CommentsWe continue the Landmarks50 celebration by taking a look at another individual landmark in our […]
Posted on November 4, 2015 | No CommentsOn Monday evening, GVSHP presented a program at the Sixth Street Community Center with our […]
Posted on October 1, 2015 | No CommentsOur latest examination of honorific street names takes us further into the East Village to 1st […]
Posted on September 23, 2015 | No CommentsToday is Yom Kippur, so let’s take a look at some East Village buildings that […]
Posted on September 22, 2015 | No CommentsThis week marks the 38th anniversary of the landmark designation of the Ottendorfer Branch of […]
Posted on August 11, 2015 | 1 CommentThirty-four years ago today, on August 11, 1981, the interior first floor of the Ottendorfer […]