Browse By Neighborhood
- Community Cornerstones: Penny Jones & Co. Puppets: We here at Off the Grid have often explored the history of the artists' residence...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 33 MacDougal Alley, the Lost Studio of Isamu Noguchi: MacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 18, 2013 | 1 CommentCitizen Kane Psycho North by Northwest Taxi Driver Recognize these movies? Can you guess what […]
Posted on October 9, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day one year ago, the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission officially designated the East […]
Posted on October 3, 2013 | No CommentsIt’s been just under four years since the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated as an individual […]
Posted on August 16, 2013 | 1 CommentIn the early 1900s, the East Village was teeming with theaters and movie houses. Second […]
Posted on August 13, 2013 | 1 CommentA couple of weeks ago I was walking along 3rd Street in the East Village […]
Posted on July 16, 2013 | No CommentsNow that I have your attention, what I have to say isn’t just about pizza. […]
Posted on July 3, 2013 | No CommentsOn the corner of Avenue B and East 8th Street is the former Tompkins Square […]
Posted on June 28, 2013 | 3 CommentsOn Avenue C between 9th and 10th Streets sits a small, unassuming two-story garage. Chances […]
Posted on May 8, 2013 | 1 CommentHow time flies – five years ago last March, the former East Eleventh Street Baths […]
Posted on March 5, 2013 | 2 CommentsTomorrow, Community Board 3′s Landmarks Subcommittee will hear proposals for changes to two East Village […]