Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Jared Kushner’s (Preservation) Record: The Donald has been getting a lot of attention lately, what with his running for ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 29, 2015 | No CommentsNineteen years ago today, Playwright Jonathan Larson’s Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winning musical “Rent” […]
Posted on April 16, 2015 | 2 CommentsA lot can happen in 50 years, and many of us are celebrating the 50th […]
Posted on April 3, 2015 | No CommentsAt last, it appears that spring has finally arrived in New York City, and not […]
Posted on March 20, 2015 | 2 CommentsHappy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most […]
Posted on March 18, 2015 | 2 CommentsBuilt in 1886, today marks Webster Hall’s seventh anniversary as a NYC landmark. According to […]
Posted on March 2, 2015 | No CommentsFamed Rock n Roll legend and Greenwich Village icon, Lou Reed, would have turned 73 […]
Posted on February 18, 2015 | 1 Comment18 years ago, GVSHP had the privilege of recording an oral history interview with early […]
Posted on February 13, 2015 | No CommentsValentine’s Day is almost here with almost no time left to waste! Due to the […]
Posted on November 19, 2014 | No CommentsAs part of GVSHP’s ongoing programming, native New Yorker and world renowned artist Frederick Brosen […]
Posted on November 12, 2014 | No CommentsTonight at the Hudson Park Library at 6:30pm, lesbian activist, independent journalist and East Village […]