Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The House of Death: 14 West 10th Street is a Greek Revival house near Washington Square Park with a ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 1, 2015 | No CommentsOur latest examination of honorific street names takes us further into the East Village to 1st […]
Posted on September 23, 2015 | No CommentsToday is Yom Kippur, so let’s take a look at some East Village buildings that […]
Posted on September 22, 2015 | 1 CommentThis week marks the 38th anniversary of the landmark designation of the Ottendorfer Branch of […]
Posted on August 11, 2015 | 1 CommentThirty-four years ago today, on August 11, 1981, the interior first floor of the Ottendorfer […]
Posted on August 6, 2015 | 2 CommentsPolice brutality, class warfare, gentrification — today these are hot button topics, both nationally and […]
Posted on July 1, 2015 | No CommentsHistorically, the Village and East Village have always been the place for artists, writers, performers, […]
Posted on June 18, 2015 | 1 CommentPerhaps the most well-known art movement associated with Greenwich Village is Abstract Expressionism (also known […]
Posted on May 26, 2015 | 7 CommentsWith our Annual Awards coming up on June 17th, over the next few weeks on […]
Posted on May 8, 2015 | No CommentsIn 1984, East Village resident Dan Root took some photographs for a book that a […]
Posted on April 29, 2015 | No CommentsNineteen years ago today, Playwright Jonathan Larson’s Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winning musical “Rent” […]