Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 17, 2012 | 3 CommentsRecently someone asked me about a building he walked by in the East Village. Showing […]
Posted on December 7, 2012 | No CommentsThe holiday season is well underway and our neighborhoods have wonderful events going on to […]
Posted on November 23, 2012 | No CommentsWe hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Now that the holiday season is underway, we […]
Posted on October 26, 2012 | No CommentsWe have recently learned that a new building permit application has been filed with the […]
Posted on October 19, 2012 | 1 CommentToday marks the anniversary of the opening of the first Blockbuster store in the country […]
Posted on October 17, 2012 | No CommentsLast Tuesday, October 9th, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) designated the East Village/Lower East Side […]
Posted on October 15, 2012 | 1 CommentWhen you’ve been living in, working in, and researching the East Village for many years […]
Posted on August 23, 2012 | No CommentsToday, we think of Times Square when we think of the theatre district, but over […]
Posted on August 20, 2012 | 1 CommentWalk into McSorley’s Old Ale House today and you will see an equal mix of […]
Posted on August 13, 2012 | No CommentsDon’t let this title confuse you- it’s the magic of Hollywood! GVSHP’s favorite prohibition-era series […]