Browse By Neighborhood
- A First for Recognizing LGBT History in the South Village: Over the past several weeks, we've been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- No Need for a Mock UN at One East Village Elementary School: School may be out for the summer, but that doesn't mean we can’t take time...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 19, 2012 | 1 CommentToday marks the anniversary of the opening of the first Blockbuster store in the country […]
Posted on October 17, 2012 | No CommentsLast Tuesday, October 9th, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) designated the East Village/Lower East Side […]
Posted on October 15, 2012 | 1 CommentWhen you’ve been living in, working in, and researching the East Village for many years […]
Posted on August 23, 2012 | No CommentsToday, we think of Times Square when we think of the theatre district, but over […]
Posted on August 20, 2012 | 1 CommentWalk into McSorley’s Old Ale House today and you will see an equal mix of […]
Posted on August 13, 2012 | No CommentsDon’t let this title confuse you- it’s the magic of Hollywood! GVSHP’s favorite prohibition-era series […]
Posted on August 10, 2012 | 2 CommentsA 19th century row house on the south side of East 12th Street between Second […]
Posted on August 8, 2012 | 4 CommentsMany people know that the East Village is abundant with Ukrainian restaurants and Eastern European […]
Posted on June 25, 2012 | No CommentsNext in the Map It! series is Stuyvesant Street, which runs through the northern portion […]
Posted on June 19, 2012 | 1 CommentRight around this time last year, we were more than excited by the filming of […]