Browse By Neighborhood
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204 Today!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most...
- King’s Assassination Began Fifteen Year Quest for a National Holiday: Forty-five years ago today, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on March 19, 2014 | 1 CommentFor today’s post in our Then & Now series, we thought we’d feature a few […]
Posted on March 10, 2014 | 4 CommentsRecently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists. […]
Posted on March 3, 2014 | 3 CommentsThe New York Marble Cemetery and the New York City Marble Cemetery (yes, it’s confusing) […]
Posted on February 13, 2014 | 1 CommentToday, most New Yorkers are trudging through the snow and freezing rain, navigating those slushy […]
Posted on January 15, 2014 | No CommentsIf you like wandering around the streets of Greenwich Village and admiring the architecture as […]
Posted on December 31, 2013 | 1 CommentThis post is the last of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
A Rite of Passage for Jewish Gangsters of the Lower East Side: The Manhattan Third District Magistrate’s CourtPosted on December 30, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the third of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 27, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the second of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 26, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the first of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on November 18, 2013 | 2 CommentsCitizen Kane Psycho North by Northwest Taxi Driver Recognize these movies? Can you guess what […]