Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: East Village Cheese: Your input is needed! Today we feature our fourth “Business of the Month” — and we...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 26, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the first of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on November 18, 2013 | 1 CommentCitizen Kane Psycho North by Northwest Taxi Driver Recognize these movies? Can you guess what […]
Posted on October 9, 2013 | 1 CommentOn this day one year ago, the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission officially designated the East […]
Posted on October 3, 2013 | No CommentsIt’s been just under four years since the Landmarks Preservation Commission designated as an individual […]
Posted on August 16, 2013 | 1 CommentIn the early 1900s, the East Village was teeming with theaters and movie houses. Second […]
Posted on August 13, 2013 | 1 CommentA couple of weeks ago I was walking along 3rd Street in the East Village […]
Posted on July 16, 2013 | No CommentsNow that I have your attention, what I have to say isn’t just about pizza. […]
Posted on July 3, 2013 | No CommentsOn the corner of Avenue B and East 8th Street is the former Tompkins Square […]
Posted on June 28, 2013 | 3 CommentsOn Avenue C between 9th and 10th Streets sits a small, unassuming two-story garage. Chances […]
Posted on May 8, 2013 | 1 CommentHow time flies – five years ago last March, the former East Eleventh Street Baths […]