Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Veselka Then and Now: Three years ago today, GVSHP conducted an oral history interview with Veselka owner and GVSHP Trustee ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 14, 2016 | No CommentsOn Saturday, December 10, 2016, the extraordinary Patti Smith accepted the Nobel Prize for Literature […]
Posted on November 16, 2016 | No CommentsThere is an absurdity in the photos and video which depict the event now known […]
Posted on September 11, 2015 | No CommentsRenowned musician Andy Statman and the Andy Statman Trio will perform in the main sanctuary […]
Posted on January 23, 2015 | No CommentsThere are some that mark the beginning Greenwich Village’s involvement with the revival of American […]
Posted on December 19, 2014 | No Comments(This post is part of a series called Village People: A Who’s Who of Greenwich […]
Posted on January 28, 2014 | 1 Comment“The artists.” Without a doubt, that response is the one I hear most often when […]
Posted on April 23, 2013 | No CommentsRichie Havens, the iconic singer and guitarist, passed away yesterday at the age of 72. […]
Posted on December 6, 2012 | No CommentsLouisiana’s notorious Angola State Prison. Folk singer Pete Seeger. The Dry Dock District in Alphabet […]
Posted on August 12, 2011 | 8 CommentsForty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials […]