Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Farewell to Our Friend Bert Waggott: Here at Off the Grid we are sad to report that we have lost a...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 23, 2015 | No CommentsThere are some that mark the beginning Greenwich Village’s involvement with the revival of American […]
Posted on December 19, 2014 | No Comments(This post is part of a series called Village People: A Who’s Who of Greenwich […]
Posted on January 28, 2014 | 1 Comment“The artists.” Without a doubt, that response is the one I hear most often when […]
Posted on April 23, 2013 | No CommentsRichie Havens, the iconic singer and guitarist, passed away yesterday at the age of 72. […]
Posted on December 6, 2012 | No CommentsLouisiana’s notorious Angola State Prison. Folk singer Pete Seeger. The Dry Dock District in Alphabet […]
Posted on August 12, 2011 | 6 CommentsForty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials […]
Posted on May 24, 2011 | 1 CommentOn May 24, 1941 a baby named Robert Allen Zimmerman was born in Duluth, Minnesota. […]
Page 1 of 11