Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Sullivan Street Tea & Spice Company: Your input is needed! Today we feature our second “Business of the Month" — the first...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- 1980s Tax Photos: Then & Now: For today's post in our Then & Now series, we thought we'd feature a few...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on October 30, 2014 | No Comments(This post is the first of a series on the history of the LGBTQ community […]
Posted on June 23, 2014 | No CommentsOne year ago today outside the Church of the Village at the corner of Seventh […]
Posted on January 31, 2014 | No CommentsOver the past several weeks, we’ve been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village […]
Posted on June 19, 2013 | 5 CommentsThe Landmarks Preservation Commission has recently begun creating on-line slide shows to showcase various history […]
Posted on April 3, 2013 | 2 CommentsGVSHP is proud to be working with PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and […]
Posted on January 11, 2013 | 3 CommentsThis Tuesday, Jeanne Manford died at the age of 92. Sometimes referred to as the […]
Posted on October 16, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the one hundred and fifty-eighth birthday of the Irish writer Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie […]
Posted on October 10, 2012 | No CommentsIt’s one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It’s located […]
Posted on August 22, 2012 | 1 CommentPRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release August 22nd, 2012 EARLY GAY RIGHTS LANDMARK FACES DEMOLITION BUT […]
Posted on December 2, 2011 | 3 CommentsForty years ago this Sunday, on December 4th, 1971, John Stanley Wojtowicz married Ernest Aron in […]