Browse By Neighborhood
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204 Today!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most...
- King’s Assassination Began Fifteen Year Quest for a National Holiday: Forty-five years ago today, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 29, 2015 | No CommentsNineteen years ago today, Playwright Jonathan Larson’s Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winning musical “Rent” […]
Posted on October 30, 2014 | 1 Comment(This post is the first of a series on the history of the LGBTQ community […]
Posted on June 23, 2014 | No CommentsOne year ago today outside the Church of the Village at the corner of Seventh […]
Posted on January 31, 2014 | No CommentsOver the past several weeks, we’ve been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village […]
Posted on June 19, 2013 | 5 CommentsThe Landmarks Preservation Commission has recently begun creating on-line slide shows to showcase various history […]
Posted on April 3, 2013 | 2 CommentsGVSHP is proud to be working with PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and […]
Posted on January 11, 2013 | 3 CommentsThis Tuesday, Jeanne Manford died at the age of 92. Sometimes referred to as the […]
Posted on October 16, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the one hundred and fifty-eighth birthday of the Irish writer Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie […]
Posted on October 10, 2012 | No CommentsIt’s one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It’s located […]
Posted on August 22, 2012 | 1 CommentPRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release August 22nd, 2012 EARLY GAY RIGHTS LANDMARK FACES DEMOLITION BUT […]