Browse By Neighborhood
- What’s That Orange Netting On My Neighbor’s Rooftop?: Every so often we get a call or an email here at GVSHP asking about...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Map It! Finding the Lost Stuyvesant Alley: Recently, someone contacted us asking about the location of Stuyvesant Alley, which no longer exists....
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 31, 2014 | No CommentsOver the past several weeks, we’ve been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village […]
Posted on June 19, 2013 | 5 CommentsThe Landmarks Preservation Commission has recently begun creating on-line slide shows to showcase various history […]
Posted on April 3, 2013 | 2 CommentsGVSHP is proud to be working with PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and […]
Posted on February 1, 2013 | 1 CommentToday we note the passing of Edward I. Koch, Mayor of New York City from […]
Posted on January 11, 2013 | 3 CommentsThis Tuesday, Jeanne Manford died at the age of 92. Sometimes referred to as the […]
Posted on October 16, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the one hundred and fifty-eighth birthday of the Irish writer Oscar Fingal O’Flahertie […]
Posted on August 28, 2012 | No CommentsIn our continuing efforts to save 186 Spring Street in the South Village, we’ve highlighted […]
Posted on August 22, 2012 | 1 CommentPRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release August 22nd, 2012 EARLY GAY RIGHTS LANDMARK FACES DEMOLITION BUT […]
Posted on July 22, 2011 | 2 CommentsAs one-time Villager Bob Dylan famously called it, the Times, They Are A-Changing. This Sunday […]
Posted on June 29, 2011 | 3 CommentsWhile Greenwich Village will always be equated with the Gay Rights Movement, particularly for its […]