Browse By Neighborhood
- A ‘Greenwich Village Stories’ Walking Tour of the East Village: This is the latest installment of Off the Grid’s series, “Greenwich Village Stories,” in which...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- John Sloan’s Village: Today marks the 142nd birthday of artist John Sloan. Sloan worked as an painter and...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 16, 2013 | No CommentsHere we are in the midst of the holiday season. The city was blanketed with […]
Posted on November 21, 2013 | No CommentsHere in Greenwich Village, we are surrounded by history. So sometimes when I walk the […]
Posted on May 15, 2013 | 1 CommentYesterday, the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved an application for establishing a Master Plan at the […]
Posted on April 22, 2013 | 3 CommentsIt’s disappointing but hardly surprising — NYU destroying a small but important piece of the […]
Posted on March 20, 2013 | 2 CommentsWe recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in […]
Posted on January 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsOver the summer we told you about the 1959 Greenwich Village Guide book published under […]
Posted on February 13, 2012 | 1 CommentStanding where Broadway begins its curve to the west at 10th Street, the landmarked Grace […]
Posted on May 21, 2011 | No CommentsThis weekend, our friends over at the New York Landmarks Conservancy are hosting a state-wide, […]
Posted on March 7, 2011 | 4 CommentsToday is a day of highs and lows in the preservation world. As we chronicle the […]
Page 1 of 11