Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 11, 2014 | No CommentsLast week’s community meeting about the need to better preserve and protect the Village’s University […]
Posted on August 5, 2014 | No CommentsCompleted in 1853, by architect James Renwick, the St. Denis Hotel stood at the corner […]
Posted on December 16, 2013 | No CommentsHere we are in the midst of the holiday season. The city was blanketed with […]
Posted on November 21, 2013 | No CommentsHere in Greenwich Village, we are surrounded by history. So sometimes when I walk the […]
Posted on May 15, 2013 | 1 CommentYesterday, the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved an application for establishing a Master Plan at the […]
Posted on April 22, 2013 | 3 CommentsIt’s disappointing but hardly surprising — NYU destroying a small but important piece of the […]
Posted on March 20, 2013 | 2 CommentsWe recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in […]
Posted on January 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsOver the summer we told you about the 1959 Greenwich Village Guide book published under […]
Posted on February 13, 2012 | 1 CommentStanding where Broadway begins its curve to the west at 10th Street, the landmarked Grace […]
Posted on May 21, 2011 | No CommentsThis weekend, our friends over at the New York Landmarks Conservancy are hosting a state-wide, […]