Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Unrecognizable: Former Village Institutions and what has taken their place: It’s no secret that the Village has changed. However, due to rising demand for real ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 5, 2016 | No CommentsLongtime GVSHP member Miriam Cahn has called the Village her home for over 45 years. […]
Posted on May 6, 2016 | 1 CommentGreenwich Village, the East Village and NoHo offer a vast array of architectural styles that […]
Posted on May 13, 2015 | 1 CommentGVSHP is proud to be a co-sponsor of the New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites […]
Posted on March 16, 2015 | No CommentsAfter a long, cold, and snowy January and February, Mother Nature decided we weren’t quite […]
Posted on December 11, 2014 | No CommentsLast week’s community meeting about the need to better preserve and protect the Village’s University […]
Posted on August 5, 2014 | No CommentsCompleted in 1853, by architect James Renwick, the St. Denis Hotel stood at the corner […]
Posted on December 16, 2013 | No CommentsHere we are in the midst of the holiday season. The city was blanketed with […]
Posted on November 21, 2013 | No CommentsHere in Greenwich Village, we are surrounded by history. So sometimes when I walk the […]
Posted on May 15, 2013 | 3 CommentsYesterday, the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved an application for establishing a Master Plan at the […]
Posted on April 22, 2013 | 3 CommentsIt’s disappointing but hardly surprising — NYU destroying a small but important piece of the […]