Browse By Neighborhood
- A Tale of Two Tenements: 226 & 228 East 6th Street: This week we thought we'd take another look at sister tenements - designed by the...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Community Cornerstones: The Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation: Tucked away on an unassuming block on LaGuardia Place is the former studio and home...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Greenwich Village Historic District
Posted on August 22, 2014 | No CommentsThese beautiful late summer days have got us thinking about sun and sky. Which has […]
Posted on August 18, 2014 | 2 CommentsMuch has been said lately about the potential sale of 121 Charles Street in the […]
Posted on July 22, 2014 | No CommentsThe freestanding house at 121 Charles Street has been in the limelight the last few […]
Posted on April 29, 2014 | No CommentsForty-five years ago today, mayor John Lindsay was still smarting from the botched cleanup of […]
Posted on March 26, 2014 | No CommentsAt 293 and 297 West 4th Street, between Bank and West 11th Streets in the […]
Posted on February 7, 2014 | No Comments“Yeah, yeah, yeah” – as the New York Times wrote in February 1964 – it […]
Posted on January 2, 2014 | 1 CommentHappy New Year! And what better way to kick off a brand new year than […]
Posted on December 3, 2013 | 1 CommentToday we thought we’d feature a few designs by the late 19th century architecture firm […]
Posted on November 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsMr. Mayor, don’t forget the Landmarks Preservation Commission! Amid lobbying on higher-profile issues like stop-and-frisk, […]
Posted on July 19, 2013 | No CommentsMacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may […]