Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Greenwich Village Historic District
Posted on December 16, 2014 | No CommentsMuch of the Village Voice from the 1950s to the mid-2000s is available to view […]
Posted on December 8, 2014 | No CommentsThough a rare surviving architectural element today, the tearoom (also known as a back porch […]
Posted on November 26, 2014 | No CommentsIn the spirit of Thanksgiving, we thought that we should share a brief history of […]
Posted on November 10, 2014 | No CommentsBy now, many of you have heard about the controversy over the little house at […]
Posted on November 4, 2014 | No CommentsAfter a nearly half-century wait, last week the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission finally […]
Posted on October 29, 2014 | No CommentsEarlier this month the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) approved a revised design for a new […]
Posted on August 22, 2014 | No CommentsThese beautiful late summer days have got us thinking about sun and sky. Which has […]
Posted on August 18, 2014 | 2 CommentsMuch has been said lately about the potential sale of 121 Charles Street in the […]
Posted on July 22, 2014 | No CommentsThe freestanding house at 121 Charles Street has been in the limelight the last few […]
Posted on April 29, 2014 | No CommentsForty-five years ago today, mayor John Lindsay was still smarting from the botched cleanup of […]