Browse By Neighborhood
- A First for Recognizing LGBT History in the South Village: Over the past several weeks, we've been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- No Need for a Mock UN at One East Village Elementary School: School may be out for the summer, but that doesn't mean we can’t take time...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Greenwich Village Historic District
Posted on February 7, 2014 | No Comments“Yeah, yeah, yeah” – as the New York Times wrote in February 1964 – it […]
Posted on January 2, 2014 | 1 CommentHappy New Year! And what better way to kick off a brand new year than […]
Posted on December 3, 2013 | 1 CommentToday we thought we’d feature a few designs by the late 19th century architecture firm […]
Posted on November 4, 2013 | 2 CommentsMr. Mayor, don’t forget the Landmarks Preservation Commission! Amid lobbying on higher-profile issues like stop-and-frisk, […]
Posted on July 19, 2013 | No CommentsMacDougal Alley is one of those hidden enclaves of Greenwich Village that many passersby may […]
Posted on July 11, 2013 | No CommentsOn West 13th Street between Sixth and Seventh Avenues stands a parking garage on the […]
Posted on June 14, 2013 | 2 CommentsWhile Bil Baird may not be a household name today, his legacy lives on across […]
Posted on May 3, 2013 | No CommentsIf you’re ever strolling along Sixth Avenue near the West 4th Street subway station – […]
Posted on April 30, 2013 | No CommentsA new application for storefront work at a gas station on the corner of Eighth […]
Posted on April 24, 2013 | No CommentsIn just a week and a half, GVSHP will hold our 15th Annual Benefit House […]