Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Greenwich Village Historic District
Posted on May 3, 2013 | No CommentsIf you’re ever strolling along Sixth Avenue near the West 4th Street subway station –...
Posted on April 30, 2013 | No CommentsA new application for storefront work at a gas station on the corner of Eighth...
Posted on April 24, 2013 | No CommentsIn just a week and a half, GVSHP will hold our 15th Annual Benefit House...
Posted on April 19, 2013 | 2 CommentsA familiar site to New Yorkers and visitors alike, the charming Washington Mews sits just...
Posted on April 5, 2013 | No CommentsThis Sunday, the Season 6 premiere of Mad Men will transport us back to late...
Posted on April 1, 2013 | No CommentsFor most, lower Fifth Avenue conjures up images of grand early to mid-20th century apartment...
Posted on March 26, 2013 | 2 CommentsMarch is Women’s History Month; the month-long celebration highlights the accomplishments of women in various...
Posted on February 14, 2013 | No CommentsLast week the design team behind the AIDS Memorial in St. Vincent’s Park presented some...
Posted on February 8, 2013 | 2 CommentsThe snow is coming down here in New York City, so why not grab a...
Posted on December 13, 2012 | No CommentsThis image from the GVSHP Archive features an idyllic view of people gathering on the...