Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Unrecognizable: Former Village Institutions and what has taken their place: It’s no secret that the Village has changed. However, due to rising demand for real ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on September 12, 2016 | No CommentsWhere can you enjoy the best of Greenwich Village bars, restaurants, and shops, all in […]
Posted on September 7, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1885, poet and novelist Elinor Wylie was born. Wylie’s writings were […]
Posted on September 1, 2016 | No CommentsWaverly Place and Mercer Street is just east of Washington Square Park. This unique part […]
Posted on August 1, 2016 | No CommentsToday marks the 25th anniversary of the release of the landmark documentary Paris Is Burning. Filmed […]
Posted on July 27, 2016 | No CommentsA year ago today, Bert Waggott passed away, surrounded by loved ones. Bert was a […]
Posted on July 7, 2016 | No CommentsThis is part 3 in a series discussing the Village’s role in the development of […]
Posted on June 22, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1984, the movie The Pope of Greenwich Village was released in […]
Posted on June 21, 2016 | No CommentsHappy Pride Week! Each June during the week leading up to the Gay Pride March, NYC […]
Posted on June 16, 2016 | No CommentsA generous GVSHP supporter dropped off a fun treat to our offices a few weeks […]