Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on June 22, 2016 | No CommentsOn this day in 1984, the movie The Pope of Greenwich Village was released in […]
Posted on June 21, 2016 | No CommentsHappy Pride Week! Each June during the week leading up to the Gay Pride March, NYC […]
Posted on June 16, 2016 | No CommentsA generous GVSHP supporter dropped off a fun treat to our offices a few weeks […]
Posted on April 25, 2016 | No CommentsOn April 24, 1904 artist Willem de Kooning was born in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. de Kooning […]
Posted on April 12, 2016 | 1 CommentOne hundred twenty-five years and ten days ago the artist Max Ernst was born. While […]
Posted on January 26, 2016 | No CommentsActivist, leftist, and radical feminist, these are just some of the words used to describe […]
Posted on September 17, 2015 | 1 CommentGreenwich Village is home to what is considered by many one of the finest examples […]
Posted on August 24, 2015 | No CommentsAcclaimed author and journalist Tom Wolfe is known for his use of New Journalism (employing […]
Posted on July 17, 2015 | No CommentsIn the wake of Stonewall’s city landmark designation last month, it is important to look […]
Posted on July 9, 2015 | 3 CommentsNearly two hundred years ago today, on July 9th, 1819, Rose Butler was executed in […]