Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The Astor Place Riot: Recently we have been running a series in Off the Grid on the Village as ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 12, 2015 | 3 CommentsThe hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding […]
Posted on September 22, 2014 | 1 CommentThis Thursday evening, September 25, we will present the third program in our series “OMG!: […]
Posted on September 4, 2014 | 4 CommentsLast month reader Mike commented on our Lewis Street post that his aunt lived nearby […]
Posted on June 3, 2014 | 1 CommentIn the old Italian South Village, St. Anthony of Padua church stands on the corner […]
Posted on March 13, 2014 | 4 CommentsFifty years ago, on March 13th, 1964, Kitty Genovese was brutally raped and murdered in […]
Posted on January 27, 2014 | 2 CommentsNo, it’s not the name of a law firm. It’s the names of 3 of […]
Posted on November 16, 2012 | No CommentsWhile we’re not yet technically at the ‘silver’ (i.e. 25th) anniversary, this Sunday will mark […]
Posted on July 12, 2012 | 1 CommentSt. Anthony of Padua Church has stood on Sullivan Street in the South Village since […]
Posted on April 29, 2011 | 8 CommentsJerry Seinfeld’s birthday is today, Friday, April 29; the Brooklyn-born, Long Island-raised, Queens College-educated comedian […]
Page 1 of 11