Browse By Neighborhood
- Alexander Hamilton and the Village: The hyped musical “Hamilton” opened on Broadway last weekend to rave reviews. The excitement surrounding...
- Save the Village!: That’s the name of Tim McDarrah’s new walking tours. The tours are based on the...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on August 5, 2015 | No CommentsThe Ashcan School refers to a loosely knit group of urban realist painters based in […]
Posted on March 17, 2015 | No CommentsThe history of Greenwich Village is a history of immigration. Although the St. Patrick’s Day […]
Posted on February 10, 2014 | No CommentsThe Looking Up series of posts explore the unique architectural and historical stories that can […]
Posted on August 2, 2013 | No CommentsToday marks the 142nd birthday of artist John Sloan. Sloan worked as an painter and […]
Posted on May 3, 2013 | No CommentsIf you’re ever strolling along Sixth Avenue near the West 4th Street subway station – […]
Posted on April 16, 2013 | 4 CommentsFive hundred ninety years ago tomorrow, an event took place which, implausibly enough, lead to […]
Posted on February 5, 2013 | No CommentsA recent report by Crain’s New York that a number of hotels were opening in […]
Posted on January 23, 2013 | 2 CommentsNinety-six years ago today a group of artists gathered at the top of the Washington […]
Posted on September 7, 2011 | No CommentsWe love receiving research queries here at GVSHP, but never more so than when the […]
Page 1 of 11