Browse By Neighborhood
- Photos of the Merchant’s House as a Young Museum: Many of you are following the (quite lengthy) story of a new building that has...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- An Illustrated Trip Down Broadway: We recently highlighted the marvelous illustration work of James Gulliver Hancock as he continues in...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 10, 2014 | No CommentsThe Looking Up series of posts explore the unique architectural and historical stories that can […]
Posted on August 2, 2013 | No CommentsToday marks the 142nd birthday of artist John Sloan. Sloan worked as an painter and […]
Posted on May 3, 2013 | No CommentsIf you’re ever strolling along Sixth Avenue near the West 4th Street subway station – […]
Posted on April 16, 2013 | 3 CommentsFive hundred ninety years ago tomorrow, an event took place which, implausibly enough, lead to […]
Posted on February 5, 2013 | No CommentsA recent report by Crain’s New York that a number of hotels were opening in […]
Posted on January 23, 2013 | No CommentsNinety-six years ago today a group of artists gathered at the top of the Washington […]
Posted on September 7, 2011 | No CommentsWe love receiving research queries here at GVSHP, but never more so than when the […]
Page 1 of 11