Browse By Neighborhood
- The Manhattan Street Grid Turns 204 Today!: Happy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most...
- ‘Kate Spade House’ Wasn’t Always “Charming & Chic”: Over the past couple weeks, blogs have been buzzing with news and photos of 215...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Buildings With Buzzcuts: Have you ever noticed a rowhouse or tenement that’s almost handsome? Something … is ......
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on February 14, 2015 | No CommentsIn celebration of Valentine’s Day today, we thought we would tip our hats to some […]
Posted on September 26, 2014 | No CommentsThis post is part of the Looking Up series, which explores the unique architectural and […]
Posted on March 20, 2014 | No CommentsThis is part of the Looking Up series of posts, which explore the unique architectural […]
Posted on December 26, 2013 | No CommentsThis post is the first of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 27, 2012 | No CommentsWalking East 3rd Street is a collaboration between GVSHP and the students in NYU’s Fall […]
Posted on June 15, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the 108th anniversary of the General Slocum disaster. The greatest loss of life […]
Posted on April 12, 2012 | 1 CommentWalking along East 2nd Street, between Avenue A and First Avenue, you might have noticed […]
Posted on January 27, 2012 | 2 CommentsLast week, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to landmark East 10th Street, […]
Posted on December 28, 2011 | No CommentsWalking East 7th Street is a collaboration between GVSHP and the students in NYU’s Fall […]
Posted on June 15, 2011 | 4 CommentsExactly 107 years ago today, on the morning of June 15, 1904, the General Slocum […]