Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on December 27, 2012 | No CommentsWalking East 3rd Street is a collaboration between GVSHP and the students in NYU’s Fall...
Posted on June 15, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the 108th anniversary of the General Slocum disaster. The greatest loss of life...
Posted on April 12, 2012 | 1 CommentWalking along East 2nd Street, between Avenue A and First Avenue, you might have noticed...
Posted on January 27, 2012 | 1 CommentLast week, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission voted to landmark East 10th Street,...
Posted on December 28, 2011 | No CommentsWalking East 7th Street is a collaboration between GVSHP and the students in NYU’s Fall...
Posted on June 15, 2011 | 3 CommentsExactly 107 years ago today, on the morning of June 15, 1904, the General Slocum...
Posted on March 11, 2011 | 1 CommentOur survey of every single building in the East Village has left us questioning some of...
Page 1 of 11