Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- See You on the Dark Side of the Village!: Forty-three years ago this month, Pink Floyd released Dark Side of the Moon; the album...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on January 14, 2016 | No CommentsForty-seven years ago, on January 14th 1969, the Landmarks Preservation Commission concluded that, “On the […]
Posted on December 29, 2015 | 1 CommentThis post is the second of a three-part series called Histories of Fourth Street, from […]
Posted on September 23, 2015 | No CommentsToday is Yom Kippur, so let’s take a look at some East Village buildings that […]
Posted on September 22, 2015 | No CommentsThis week marks the 38th anniversary of the landmark designation of the Ottendorfer Branch of […]
Posted on February 14, 2015 | No CommentsIn celebration of Valentine’s Day today, we thought we would tip our hats to some […]
Posted on September 26, 2014 | No CommentsThis post is part of the Looking Up series, which explores the unique architectural and […]
Posted on March 20, 2014 | No CommentsThis is part of the Looking Up series of posts, which explore the unique architectural […]
Posted on December 26, 2013 | 1 CommentThis post is the first of a four-part series called Everyday Lives, Ordinary People: A […]
Posted on December 27, 2012 | 2 CommentsWalking East 3rd Street is a collaboration between GVSHP and the students in NYU’s Fall […]
Posted on June 15, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the 108th anniversary of the General Slocum disaster. The greatest loss of life […]