Home : Preservation : Off the Grid  /  About

Kleindeutschland

  • Peeling Back Two Hundred Years of History on Second Avenue

    I recently wrote about the rich and interesting cultural history behind the Ukrainian National Home, located at 140-142 Second Avenue just south of 9th Street in the East Village, for the website 6sqft.  That incredibly diverse story extends from Peter Stuyvesant and his direct descendants […]

    Full Story

  • Rosetta Stones Right in Our Home: Little Germany

    On this day in 1799, the Rosetta Stone was discovered during the Napoleonic Campaign in Egypt.  This stele is inscribed in three languages — Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics, Demotic, and Ancient Greek — and became the key to finally translating and unlocking the secrets of ancient Egyptian […]

    Full Story

  • Congregation Beth Hamedrash Hagadol Anshe Ungarn

    Tucked away on East 7th Street between Avenues C and D is the former Beth Hamedrash Hagadol Anshe Ungarn.  This small synagogue, designed in the classical revival style, is set amidst Old and New Law tenements.  It’s a small but striking reminder of a time when […]

    Full Story

  • Kleindeutschland Roundup

    In the late 19th and early 20th Century, the East Village and Lower East Side were home to a substantial German immigrant community.  As a result, this area became known as Kleindeutschland, or “Little Germany.”  Eventually the German community moved north to the Upper East Side […]

    Full Story

  • Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row

    New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born out of years of heavy immigration in the 19th and early 20th-centuries. But for all that still exists of famed neighborhoods like Little Italy, the Jewish Lower East Side, or […]

    Full Story

  • Happy 47th Birthday, St. Mark’s Historic District

    Forty-seven years ago, on January 14th 1969, the Landmarks Preservation Commission concluded that, “On the basis of a careful consideration of the history, the architecture and other features of this area, the Landmarks Preservation Commission finds that the St. Mark’s Historic District contains buildings and […]

    Full Story

  • East 4th Street and its Political Past

    This post is the second of a three-part series called Histories of Fourth Street, from East to West, a collaboration between GVSHP and the students in NYU’s Fall 2015 Intro to Public History course. Each group of students was tasked with preparing a presentation around […]

    Full Story

  • The Synagogues of East 6th Street

    Today is Yom Kippur, so let’s take a look at some East Village buildings that are, or used to be, synagogues. Jewish immigrants to the East Village and Lower East Side were a significant segment of the population of these neighborhoods, particularly in the late 19th […]

    Full Story

  • Ottendorfer Library Landmark Designation

    The Ottendorfer Branch of the New York Public Library (NYPL) at 135 Second Avenue was designated an individual New York City landmark September 20, 1977.  The library was built in 1883-4 by Oswald Ottendorfer, a wealthy German newspaper magnate, along with the adjoining Stuyvesant Polyclinic Hospital.  […]

    Full Story

  • Celebrate Valentine’s Day With Some Architectural Cherubs

    In celebration of Valentine’s Day today, we thought we would tip our hats to some of our neighborhood’s architectural cherubs. There’s a wonderfully rich supply of them in the East Village, particularly within what had been known in the late 19th and early 20th century […]

    Full Story

Page 1 of 212