Browse By Neighborhood
- David Bowie’s ‘Fame’ Released July 25, 1975: David Bowie's plastic soul-funk hit "Fame," his first (and one of only two) American number one...
- Farewell to Our Friend Bert Waggott: Here at Off the Grid we are sad to report that we have lost a...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Celebrating & Remembering Margot Gayle: The New York City Landmarks Law turns 50 years old this month! In the spirit of...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Landmarks Preservation Commission
Posted on August 3, 2015 | No CommentsIf you have ever noticed the beautiful row houses along MacDougal Street and Sullivan Street […]
Posted on April 15, 2015 | 2 CommentsTax Day may not be our favorite day of the year. But it bears an […]
Posted on March 20, 2015 | 2 CommentsHappy birthday to the Manhattan Street Grid! Hailed by many historians as “the single most […]
Posted on March 9, 2015 | No CommentsFirst off, this is our 1,100th blog post! Be sure to click on the blue […]
Posted on March 5, 2015 | 1 CommentIf you love walking our Village streets, chances are you’ve come across the neglected little […]
Posted on February 5, 2015 | No CommentsIn celebration of Black History Month, the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation will host […]
Posted on December 26, 2014 | No CommentsAs a student of architectural history at NYU and having lived in New York for […]
Posted on November 10, 2014 | 3 CommentsBy now, many of you have heard about the controversy over the little house at […]
Posted on November 4, 2014 | No CommentsAfter a nearly half-century wait, last week the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission finally […]
Posted on October 29, 2014 | No CommentsEarlier this month the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) approved a revised design for a new […]