Browse By Neighborhood
- Business of the Month: Makari: Your input is needed! Today we kick off our new "Business of the Month" feature...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Sullivan Street Playhouse: Gone But Not Forgotten: Today marks the tenth anniversary of the final performance of the off-Broadway hit The Fantasticks...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on December 4, 2014 | No CommentsIn the 1890s, the Bowery, like Bleecker Street, was a center of ‘gay’ nightlife in […]
Posted on November 18, 2014 | No CommentsAn early twentieth-century song entitled ‘The Greenwich Village Epic’ declares: ‘Fairyland’s not far from Washington […]
Posted on November 12, 2014 | No CommentsTonight at the Hudson Park Library at 6:30pm, lesbian activist, independent journalist and East Village […]
Posted on October 30, 2014 | No Comments(This post is the first of a series on the history of the LGBTQ community […]
Posted on March 13, 2014 | 2 CommentsFifty years ago, on March 13th, 1964, Kitty Genovese was brutally raped and murdered in […]
Posted on January 31, 2014 | No CommentsOver the past several weeks, we’ve been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village […]
Posted on November 8, 2013 | No CommentsThe United States Senate’s historic passage yesterday of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), banning workplace […]
Posted on August 23, 2013 | No CommentsFifty years ago this coming week, on August 28th, 1963, one of the most iconic […]
Posted on July 2, 2013 | No CommentsOn the last Sunday of June, since 1970, the New York City LGBT community has […]
Posted on June 24, 2013 | No CommentsYesterday the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and […]