Browse By Neighborhood
- Is Gay Street Really ‘gay’?: It's one of the quaintest and most intriguing streets in the West Village. It's located just a block from the Stonewall Inn, the birth
- The Backstory on Backhouses: One of the many wonderful things about our neighborhoods is the seemingly limitless possibility for surprises. Though small in scale a
From the ‘Off the Grid’ Archives
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Bowery Boys
- Untapped New York
Posted on April 3, 2013 | 2 CommentsGVSHP is proud to be working with PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and...
Posted on February 26, 2013 | No CommentsThis coming March will mark the twenty-sixth anniversary of the founding of ACT UP (AIDS...
Posted on February 13, 2013 | No CommentsWe hope you can join us for The Village and All That Jazz, an evening...
Posted on August 30, 2012 | 1 CommentGVSHP recently received an inquiry from a researcher looking for information about the historic 1966...
Posted on August 27, 2012 | No CommentsAs we have covered in past Off the Grid posts, the South Village building at 186...
Posted on July 18, 2012 | No CommentsIn light of demolition plans that GVSHP uncovered for the Federal row house at 186...
Posted on January 31, 2012 | 1 CommentAs EV Grieve recently reported, the final credits may be on the way for a...
Posted on July 18, 2011 | 1 CommentJust last week the famed Copacabana nightclub reopened yet again. At its newest incarnation at...
Posted on June 29, 2011 | 3 CommentsWhile Greenwich Village will always be equated with the Gay Rights Movement, particularly for its...
Posted on June 28, 2011 | 1 CommentToday marks the anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising, a series of riotous protests at the...