Browse By Neighborhood
Get Off the Grid posts delivered to your inbox!
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- Tenement House Act of 1901: April 12, 1901 marks the date when the New York State Legislature's passed the Tenement ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on April 10, 2017 | No CommentsOn March 3, 1865, The Freedmen’s Savings and Trust Company, commonly referred to as The […]
Posted on April 4, 2017 | No CommentsOn this day in 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on […]
Posted on January 5, 2017 | No CommentsOff the Grid has previously taken a look at African American history in the South Village, […]
Posted on December 7, 2016 | No CommentsAs mentioned in the GVSHP testimony at the designation hearing for the Sullivan-Thompson historic district, […]
Posted on November 13, 2015 | 1 CommentBurial spaces serve a wide variety of purposes: religious, political, socioeconomic. For example, a graveyard […]
Posted on February 4, 2014 | 1 CommentOver the last several weeks GVSHP has been taking a look at the designation report […]
Posted on May 20, 2013 | 4 CommentsWe’re gearing up for tomorrow’s LPC public meeting in which the commissioners will vote to […]
Posted on April 4, 2013 | 1 CommentForty-five years ago today, Martin Luther King Jr. was shot as he stood on the […]