Browse By Neighborhood
- A First for Recognizing LGBT History in the South Village: Over the past several weeks, we've been highlighting the recent designation of the South Village...
- Summer in the City: Forty-five years ago this weekend, on August 13, 1966, the classic ode to the trials...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain,...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- No Need for a Mock UN at One East Village Elementary School: School may be out for the summer, but that doesn't mean we can’t take time...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- Neighborhoodr: East Village
- Neighborhoodr: West Village
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on November 8, 2013 | No CommentsThe United States Senate’s historic passage yesterday of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), banning workplace […]
Posted on September 9, 2013 | 1 CommentTen years ago today, the Gansevoort Market Historic District was officially designated by the New […]
Posted on June 21, 2013 | No CommentsWe’re gearing up for the Landmarks Preservation (LPC) hearing about “Phase II” of the proposed […]
Posted on June 19, 2013 | 5 CommentsThe Landmarks Preservation Commission has recently begun creating on-line slide shows to showcase various history […]
Posted on April 26, 2013 | 2 CommentsOp-Ed from The Villager newspaper, April 25, 2012 http://thevillager.com/2013/04/25/quinn-and-city-cant-omit-3-key-south-village-sites/ Quinn and City Must Not Omit […]
Posted on April 12, 2013 | 2 CommentsEarlier in the week we looked at what sites the Landmarks Preservation Commission excluded from […]
Posted on April 9, 2013 | 4 CommentsLast week the Landmarks Preservation Commission revealed their draft proposed boundaries for Phase II of […]
Posted on March 7, 2013 | No CommentsWell, we’ve been waiting for years — though certainly not waiting patiently or quietly — […]
Posted on February 7, 2013 | No CommentsThe Landmarks Preservation Commission’s (LPC) response to pleas to consider the entire proposed South Village […]
Posted on June 15, 2012 | No CommentsToday is the 108th anniversary of the General Slocum disaster. The greatest loss of life […]