Browse By Neighborhood
- Lost Neighborhoods of New York: Goulash Row: New York is renowned for its vibrant immigrant history, and the many diverse neighborhoods born ...
- The First Landmarks Preservation Commission Hearing, September 21, 1965: Fifty-one years ago today, on September 21, 1965, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) held its ...
- The Oldest Building in the Village?: Call it whatever you'd like: antique, vintage, or historic. If one thing is for certain ...
From the 'Off the Grid' Archives
- Historic Greenwich Village and Hollywood: Last night, GVSHP presented a free public program with James & Michelle Nevius, authors of ...
Connect with GVSHP!
Subscribe to Off the Grid via Email
Support Our Work
- Big Apple Preserves
- Bowery Boogie
- Bowery Boys
- East Village Transitions
- Ephemeral New York
- EV Grieve
- Forgotten NY
- Fourth Arts Block
- Greenwich Village Daily Photo
- Historic Districts Council
- Jeremiah's Vanishing New York
- Lower East Side History Project
- New York in the 1990s
- Patell and Waterman’s History of New York
- Scouting New York
- The Lo-Down
- Untapped New York
- Wooden House Project
Posted on September 9, 2015 | No CommentsOn September 9, 2003, the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the Gansevoort Market Historic District. […]
Posted on July 6, 2015 | No CommentsAlthough the summer months mean vacation time for some people, here at GVSHP, we don’t […]
Posted on March 19, 2014 | 1 CommentFor today’s post in our Then & Now series, we thought we’d feature a few […]
Posted on February 19, 2014 | 1 CommentWe’d like to share GVSHP staffer Amanda Davis’ “Then & Now” post about a delightful […]
Posted on September 16, 2013 | No CommentsNear the southern end of the High Line, the Meatpacking District bustles with designer clothing […]
Posted on May 22, 2013 | No CommentsSince the first public market opened in the area in 1884, Gansevoort Market — or […]
Posted on January 29, 2013 | No CommentsOff the Grid has featured many posts about some of the place names within Greenwich […]
Posted on January 17, 2013 | 8 CommentsThe High Line has become one of Manhattan’s most popular attractions, offering a unique opportunity […]
Posted on January 3, 2013 | No CommentsThe Meatpacking District—or to preservationists the Gansevoort Market Historic District—was the scene of many a […]